• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Stating the very obvious but to garner a really valid opinion you need to hear two speakers in the same room at the same time, that’s what we offer here, even that is still far from a perfect solution.
Keith

Elkios

Stating the very obvious but to garner a really valid opinion you need to hear two speakers in the same room at the same time, that’s what we offer here, even that is still far from a perfect solution.
Keith
Are you planning to trial Ex Machina Keith ?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They don’t appear to be anything special, in fact it looks more look multiple ‘influencer‘ guerrilla hype.
Keith

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Metallica with ATC
Screenshot_20211110-154609.jpg
Screenshot_20211110-154849.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
Looking at the data, I think it's pretty obvious why ATC has such great mid clarity. The speaker has relatively good (not great) directivity, and the midrange is turned up 2-3dB over the rest of the spectrum. For that reason, the midrange stands out more than it does on other (more neutral speakers). You could get the same mid clarity by turning the KH310 mid dome up by 2-3dB.
I can confirm, doing this on the KH310 made dialing midrange focused stuff in much easier. Q 0.5 bell at 2khz, +1dB.

As for Metallica - they haven't had a good sounding record since the mid 90s. I wonder what speakers Randy Staub was using at the time...

TimVG

Major Contributor
Brad Lunde (Atc dealer) and the measure

So many words.
I've seen good to great correlation between Klippel NFS measurements, 'normal' anechoic measurments, and even quasi-anechoic measurements with splicing by (capable) hobbyists. These are just words of people who want to discredit third party measurements, without actually providing anything themselves.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So many words.
I've seen good to great correlation between Klippel NFS measurements, 'normal' anechoic measurments, and even quasi-anechoic measurements with splicing by (capable) hobbyists. These are just words of people who want to discredit third party measurements, without actually providing anything themselves.
This x1000. Personally I was completely surprised at the level of consistency and correlation between the various measurement methods of the same loudspeaker model when I started my experiments with acoustic measurements. The agreement between sources of well executed measurements, regardless of method, is most often fantastic - especially considering that usually different units of the same model are measured.

Just look at the quasi-anechoic loudspeaker measurements from @napilopez (and others) and how incredibly well they qualitatively follow NFS results from @hardisj and @amirm. Sure, with the quasi-anechoic/spliced method there's much less resolution in the very important mid frequencies, as well as some ambiguity in the low frequencies vs NFS or a calibrated anechoic chamber - but still a lot can be said about a loudspeaker from such data.

Of course, some rigour with regard to methodology and tools is required to get valid results - but IMHO people intuitively tend to greatly underestimate the precision that can be achieved even with pretty simple (and cheap) measurement methods.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Short answer: they measure poorly, which makes them unsuitable for use as monitors (a monitor needs to give you the truth).
Really? How many great sounding major label releases were mixed on Nasty 10s (NS-10s)? Probably more than any other speaker.

Top Bottom