• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Scholl

Soundandrecording, where I wrote? I wrote resolution magazine.
The picture in AAC's post n°269 that TimVG is talking about is from Soundandrecording, not Resolution Mag.

BTW, I am French just like you so English is not my mother-tongue, like many other posters here. But your English is so bad your posts are nearly indecipherable. Make an effort for pity's sake !

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The picture in AAC's post n°269 that TimVG is talking about is from Soundandrecording, not Resolution Mag.

BTW, I am French just like you so English is not my mother-tongue, like many other posters here. But your English is so bad your posts are nearly indecipherable. Make an effort for pity's sake !
QUOTE the right guy is not an English problem.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

BTW, I am French just like you so English is not my mother-tongue, like many other posters here. But your English is so bad your posts are nearly indecipherable. Make an effort for pity's sake

The atc sound is not the question. The question is: atc make the better speaker on Earth. The measurements shown before or the atc 25 measurements published by resolution magazine said a another story.

Do I have to versify?

And I repeat : resolution magazine. May be should I write in Russian.

Last edited:

Scholl

@Frgirard

I know about the Resolution Magazine test of the ATC SCM25A, but this specific test seems to be nowhere to be seen in the discussion, while the measurement from Sound and Recording was, in AAC's post n°269.

"Do I have to versify?" What does that even mean ? Even in French it is meaningless. Your posts are confusing.

As as far as the general discussion is concerned, I said what I had to say in post n°261. I don't think ATC are the best speakers in the world, nor do I think they are bad speakers. But there are considerations in professional studios that make the choice of such speakers more logical than in a home Hifi setting.

Despite what Thomas from Northward says I think detailed measurements (and not only on axis FR and harmonic distortion) are the future. We would not imagine choosing a CPU or graphic card for a computer without looking at its objective measurements, price/performance ratio etc. The same should be true for speakers to me. And despite not having state of the art FR and directivity, measurements like unit to unit uniformity and long term compression test, like Erin does, would probably put ATC in a better light.

Thomas seems to think that speaker buyers are not knowledgeable enough to make enlightened decisions, which is probably partly true. But the situation is not going to improve if said buyers remain ignorant thanks to manufacturers's unwillingness to give measurements or to have a more rational mindset in general. Without objective proof there is no reason ATC should be trusted more than any overpriced and underperforming competitors, with companies established for as long as ATC.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
@Frgirard

I know about the Resolution Magazine test of the ATC SCM25ASL, but this specific test seems to be nowhere to be seen in the discussion, while the measurement from Sound and Recording was, in AAC's post n°269.

"Do I have to versify?" What does that even mean ? Even in French it is meaningless. Your posts are confusing.

As as far as the general discussion is concerned, I said what I had to say in post n°261. I don't think ATC are the best speakers in the world, nor do I think they are bad speakers. But there are considerations in professional studios that make the choice of such speakers more logical than in a home Hifi setting.

Despite what Thomas from Northward says I think detailed measurements (and not only on axis FR and harmonic distortion) are the future. We would not imagine choosing a CPU or graphic card for a computer without looking at its objective measurements, price/performance ratio etc. The same should be true for speakers to me. And despite not having state of the art FR and directivity, measurements like unit to unit uniformity and long term compression test, like Erin does, would probably put ATC in a better light.

Thomas seems to think that speaker buyers are not knowledgeable enough to make enlightened decisions, which is probably partly true. But the situation is not going to improve if said buyers remain ignorant thanks to manufacturers's unwillingness to give measurements or to have a more rational mindset in general. Without objective proof there is no reason ATC should be trusted more than any overpriced and underperforming competitors, with companies established for as long as ATC.
Get off your eastern foot. My interventions are perfectly clear but you have to be able to imagine that other worlds exist.
Stop pontificating

tw99

Get off your eastern foot. My interventions are perfectly clear but you have to be able to imagine that other worlds exist.
Stop pontificating

The meaning of "Get off your eastern foot" may be perfectly clear to you, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

807Recordings

@Frgirard

I know about the Resolution Magazine test of the ATC SCM25ASL, but this specific test seems to be nowhere to be seen in the discussion, while the measurement from Sound and Recording was, in AAC's post n°269.

I do agree and respect that English is not @Frgirard your first language (it is mine) and find some of the words you choose confusing. As someone who works in IT and for Pharma dealing with complex topics (usually compliancy) it is often better to try and explain things in simpler terms. Stay away from big words and try to explain in simpler terms. Outside of that I mean no disrespect as of 10 plus years here in Germany your English is better than my German :)

With respect to Thomas and his studio designs the facts still remain that with out seeing measurements the rest is just heresy and unfortunately leads towards the marketing side of things rather than scientific.
Just because you say does not make it so.

Many very well designed studios that have posted measurements are not using ATC. Galaxy in Belgium, Various Sony, Pensado's, etc. Are Northwards better? I can not say so I only mention this as a counter argument. @amirm said something sometime ago in some post and I believe video in that Video has standards for colour calibration and standards. Sorry if I quote it wrong but I believe the jest of it was everyone more or less can watch video or films and it is relatively accurate. Same can not be said about audio and we know also some of the so called best producer/studio productions can be hard to hear on many systems.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I get that part but what I find interesting is I have not seen in any of their designs anything like Genelec, JBL M2, or something similar. I do follow a lot of what Thomas has written on Acoustics and the various studio builds and perhaps I missed something in the monitors that have been chosen. Also I have followed other very well respected studio builds and can not think of anyone using anything like JBL. Westlake, Genelec though I have seen. Also if I ever get to a stage to fully build a studio Northward would be a top consideration.
After converting a room in my apartment to a dedicated music/listening room, I came to the realisation that it is something like 60/40 room/equipment. Maybe even more towards the impact of the room. I would imagine that Northward have an intimate understanding of the relationship between ATC monitors and the room that brings out the very best of what they are capable of.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wonder which studio sounds better :cool:
5_MORTEN_L__Genelec (2).jpeg
Screenshot_20211016-173459.jpg

Frgirard

Major Contributor

Looks like engineers didn't like the sound too much, other (newer?) photos show absorbtion placed there.
Do you know the blackbird studioSSS

The atmos has been added after the building and it is not forbidden to make adjustments when innovating...before throwing away my venom I will try to find out.

Last edited:

aac

Do you know the blackbird studioSSS

The atmos has been added after the building and it is not forbidden to make adjustments when innovating...before throwing away my venom I will try to find out.

(32) 1 x 1.5 m damped metal plate shelving resonators for bass control, interesting choice.
(RPG acoustics site has them called "modex plate" or search "VPR Fraunhofer" to see what these are)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I use ROGs ‘modex’ plates they do work but you need, of course a large area of them.
Keith

Top Bottom