• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Chrise36

Major Contributor
It is funny being bothered by distortion numbers in the graphs barely audible but not by audible noise which is not presented in the graphs

Frgirard

Major Contributor
One-line trolling, or perhaps the wrong thread?
Please elaborate. :)
A clever guy evaluate the bass response in a room with measurements. One meter and at the listening position.
You and the golden ears are troll and not on the right forum.
There are more audio forum based on the ear taste. It's your place.

Never an opinion on the bass without REW. NEVER.

goat76

Major Contributor
A clever guy evaluate the bass response in a room with measurements. One meter and at the listening position.
You and the golden ears are troll and not on the right forum.
There are more audio forum based on the ear taste. It's your place.

Never an opinion on the bass without REW. NEVER.
Seriously, are you sure you are in the right thread?

When did you and I start having a discussion about bass and in-room response in this thread?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Dial back the personal stuff and the back and forth please. Otherwise, we’ll you probably already know that part! ;)

YSC

Major Contributor
It is funny being bothered by distortion numbers in the graphs barely audible but not by audible noise which is not presented in the graphs
Ok, enough goal post moving for me. That graph was brought up just to compare or try to find that claim of “ATC focus on low distortion which others don’t and thus it’s still very much contemporary” claim to show that from what I saw it don’t do better on distortion, plus my personal audition in a friend’s home which didn’t impress me at all, especially when I had high hope for the brand and how the driver looked. Now comes this mysterious audible noise from nowhere…

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Ok, enough goal post moving for me. That graph was brought up just to compare or try to find that claim of “ATC focus on low distortion which others don’t and thus it’s still very much contemporary” claim to show that from what I saw it don’t do better on distortion, plus my personal audition in a friend’s home which didn’t impress me at all, especially when I had high hope for the brand and how the driver looked. Now comes this mysterious audible noise from nowhere…
The 8030c produces higher distortion in the bass the same amount of distortion at 1.5 k and higher distortion in the highs what is your point? The graphs from the 3 ways shows that they are low distortion designs.

goat76

Major Contributor
The discussion about distortion started with my post, I hope no one got the idea that other manufacturers don’t aim for low distortion as well.

This is what I wrote:

I don't think ATC will ever be a company who are chasing the numbers for the sake of it, they seem to be more concerned about a good transient response, low distortion, and a generally higher dynamic capability than most other speakers. You know, things that have a real impact on the musical reproduction performance for people actually interested in listening to music.

ATC aims for a good transient response, a low distortion level, and high dynamic capability. Where the last part stands out for me, the thing about high dynamic capabilities.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
The 8030c produces higher distortion in the bass the same amount of distortion at 1.5 k and higher distortion in the highs what is your point? The graphs from the 3 ways shows that they are low distortion designs.
The point is not the 8030C trashes the ATC SCM19 in distortion, but the distortion level on both is mostly similar in level and at place around 800hz the SCM19 distortion peak is actually higher, which suggests that with a 1" bigger woofer, at a much larger footprint, even sacrificing the more contemporary design like waveguide and the "calibration induced distortion for flat frequency reponse" isn't apparent and are at similar level.

The discussion about distortion started with my post, I hope no one got the idea that other manufacturers don’t aim for low distortion as well.

This is what I wrote:

I don't think ATC will ever be a company who are chasing the numbers for the sake of it, they seem to be more concerned about a good transient response, low distortion, and a generally higher dynamic capability than most other speakers. You know, things that have a real impact on the musical reproduction performance for people actually interested in listening to music.

ATC aims for a good transient response, a low distortion level, and high dynamic capability. Where the last part stands out for me, the thing about high dynamic capabilities.
I agree the part that ATC is probably, at least not in near future will change design philosophy, but it seems they need to do better, or as a self stated driven by engineering company, at least show some more on how not making on axis flatter, better directivity can have an effect on their supreme transient response and dynamic capability, distortion is low, but not really better or even worse than similar price/ speaker size competition, yes these are important matrics, and yea, ATC is doing good at these, but are they better than competition in the same price/size bracket which have better dispersion, flatter on axis and similar/lower distortion? I doubt it.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Dude, we get it you don't like ATCs. You've made your point.
The golden ear remark wasn't meant for you but YSC who evaluate the bass of a speaker with his ears.
But

I dislike the ATC marketing.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
The golden ear remark wasn't meant for you but YSC who evaluate the bass of a speaker with his ears.
But

I dislike the ATC marketing.
I think I didn't evaluate the bass of a speaker by my ears, I mostly base on measurements, that listening evaluation was just reply to some members said that I didn't ever listen to the ATC to appreciate, which I just said in my own Exp, it didn't do magic and is unimpressive, that's all, I am never a golden ear and always just use REW and UMIK for my personal choice and optimization.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I think I didn't evaluate the bass of a speaker by my ears, I mostly base on measurements, that listening evaluation was just reply to some members said that I didn't ever listen to the ATC to appreciate, which I just said in my own Exp, it didn't do magic and is unimpressive, that's all, I am never a golden ear and always just use REW and UMIK for my personal choice and optimization.
Gaslighting!

YSC

Major Contributor
Gaslighting!
well if you want to twist what I respond in the thread and interpret it that way, it's your own opinion and I won't keep the insult part. after all this thread I've yet to see a really impressive for the price/size comparison proof with whatever matric measured is really impressive and indicate that ATC did kept really contemporary and SOTA, so in the end of the day I will still believe what data is available and that ATC is still a good speaker vendor, just to SOTA and keeping up with competition. that's all for it.

goat76

Major Contributor
I agree the part that ATC is probably, at least not in near future will change design philosophy, but it seems they need to do better, or as a self stated driven by engineering company, at least show some more on how not making on axis flatter, better directivity can have an effect on their supreme transient response and dynamic capability, distortion is low, but not really better or even worse than similar price/ speaker size competition, yes these are important matrics, and yea, ATC is doing good at these, but are they better than competition in the same price/size bracket which have better dispersion, flatter on axis and similar/lower distortion? I doubt it.
I think there are many compromises going into designing a speaker, and I think ATC is doing some sacrifices for the overall performance they aim for. As I said, in my opinion they are better than most other speakers when it comes to the dynamic capabilities, and I hope they never sacrifice that for absolute linearity or something else that I see as less important.

The JBLs I’ve heard are also pretty good at reproducing the dynamics, but I’m not sure I like horn-loaded speakers so that’s the compromise I don't like.

And just to be clear, I have not heard all speakers in the world and there may be other speakers that are even better than ATC and JBL when it comes to dynamics.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The bottom line for traditional ATC usages, is that mixes done with them seem to translate really well to other sound systems, HiFi or not! They may well not be the only ones to do this, but that's why they're so trusted in pro circles after forty years or so.

Forget the 19. It's a cheaper domestic take on the classic SCM20SL which may have just gone out of production (not sure now). The 11 (or 12 Pro) is a flatter measuring and more 'conventional' take on ATC's driver skills and may not do so badly when 'Klippeled.' (the 20 in all forms was designed to do a particular job nearfield, peering over a meter bridge and I suggest the SL's upper mid lift was allowed as it matched many other monitors twenty years back when it was conceived).

The domestic market used to be a sideline, but I suspect it's now a large part of what they do. It's up to the current management (the overall manager and director Bob Polley and Billy's son William) to steer the company forward and I'm sure they're aware of what's going on around them on the pro side. Hopefully they won't disappear into the woodwork as other UK speaker companies such as Spendor have done once the guiding light passed away (I was stunned how open minded Spencer Hughes was towards the generally awful things that were going on in the domestic UK audio industry in the early 80's with a severaly colourted vinyl player being balanced by thin toned screamers at the other, but I digress. I felt Spendor lost it's way after his passing, making ripe toned sludge-boxes that couldn't 'do' percussion at all).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
ATC are no more ‘dynamic’ than any other well designed loudspeaker, they have simply taken the decision not to innovate, perhaps now that the founder is dead they will be allowed to create a contemporary design.
Keith

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not an ATC engineer, but I would presume they are for tying down the tinsels. I would guess if you flipped the driver over you would see the tinsels there, with the magnet lead wires soldered to them nearby, and then gooped to the back of the cone whereupon they head off to the voice coil.

Top Bottom