• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OEM transducer deficiencies

You mean the magical midrange dome with 10dB lower headroom than its contemporaneous competitor? Oh are we going to see more apologetics about ATC striving for some arbitrary Goldilocks level of distortion that's low but not too low and how its seeming primitiveness is an intentional stroke of genius?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi Keith. You are not genuinely interested, let’s leave it.
Torb if you want to know what soffit mounting entails, design construction and material considerations are discussed on the Genelec website, support, monitor placement.
Keith

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I’ve listened to plenty of top notch music that was mixed and produced on ATC monitors. They seem to work as a tool for a lot of very talented people in the music industry. The results speak for themselves. Sometimes if it works (and keeps working with no downtime), then why fix it?
I can’t afford them so I’ll continue reproducing music with my B&W 805S. They get slated as well, but I sure as hell listen to a lot of music, old and new, through them and enjoy the experience every time!

SoundGuy

You mean the magical midrange dome with 10dB lower headroom than its contemporaneous competitor? Oh are we going to see more apologetics about ATC striving for some arbitrary Goldilocks level of distortion that's low but not too low and how its seeming primitiveness is an intentional stroke of genius?
Yup that’s right. Industry experts are so dumb to not only buy it but demand it. Frustrating isn’t it - why can’t anyone see the truth of it…

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup that’s right. Industry experts are so dumb to not only buy it but demand it. Frustrating isn’t it - why can’t anyone see the truth of it…

And we are supposed to believe these "experts" think lower headroom, higher distortion, lumpier dispersion and rougher on-axis magically adds up more than the sum of its parts into superior fidelity. Perhaps they should publish to refute Geddes, Toole, Olive and others.

SoundGuy

I’ve listened to plenty of top notch music that was mixed and produced on ATC monitors. They seem to work as a tool for a lot of very talented people in the music industry. The results speak for themselves. Sometimes if it works (and keeps working with no downtime), then why fix it?
I can’t afford them so I’ll continue reproducing music with my B&W 805S. They get slated as well, but I sure as hell listen to a lot of music, old and new, through them and enjoy the experience every time!
805 Nautilus is my favourite B&W! 805S is a great speaker

SoundGuy

And we are supposed to believe these "experts" think lower headroom, higher distortion, lumpier dispersion and rougher on-axis magically adds up more than the sum of its parts into superior fidelity. Perhaps they should publish to refute Geddes, Toole, Olive and others.
it is clear that anyone who buys or uses ATC (in your mind) is dumb - so yeah why not. It is total mystery why these leading experts don’t understand fidelity…

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it is clear that anyone who buys or uses ATC (in your mind) is dumb - so yeah why not. It is total mystery why these leading experts don’t understand fidelity…

You don't think 10dB lower headroom is of any concern? Choosing ATC is not dumb. Insisting upon its accuracy or fidelity despite overwhelming empirical evidence and peer-reviewed research by actual "leading experts" rather than practitioners of Dunning-Kruger syndrome however...

Chrise36

Major Contributor
You don't think 10dB lower headroom is of any concern? Choosing ATC is not dumb. Insisting upon its accuracy or fidelity despite overwhelming empirical evidence and peer-reviewed research by actual "leading experts" rather than practitioners of Dunning-Kruger syndrome however...
Neumann Fs:400hz operating range in speaker above 650hz
ATC Fs:280hz operating range in speaker above 380 hz
Is this the same driver to you?

Digby

Major Contributor
because you all aren't having enough fun already, I fancy throwing a cat among the pigeons. What is better - a more accurate loudspeaker or a loudspeaker that somewhat resembles the speakers used in a typical (what's that?) mastering studio?

In my mind, perhaps the latter. OK, this doesn't always hold true (NS10s are probably a good example), but I have heard music reproduced on much lauded, highly accurate loudspeakers that just sounds, well, off. Could this be because the speakers in the recording studio weren't as perfect?

In a perfect world everyone would be using perfect loudspeakers, but in an imperfect world with recordings made on imperfect gear on imperfect environments, perhaps you want to approximate an average studio response to get reproduction that sounds correct.

TL;DR I wonder how far studio engineers can really hear past/through the deficiencies of their speakers, I have my doubts it is that possible. What studios want is a speaker that 'translates' well to as many hi-fi speakers as possible, perhaps as enthusiasts what we want is a loudspeaker that does the reverse, in that in 'translates' to as many studio setups as possible.....slight tangent I know, just thinking out loud, feel free to go back to bickering :p

Torbachkristensen

Torb if you want to know what soffit mounting entails, design construction and material considerations are discussed on the Genelec website, support, monitor placement.
Keith
Keith, it is obvious you have not followed acoustic design the last 20 years and don’t want to, please don’t make a further fool of yourself, bashing on Northward Acoustics. Frankly it is embarrassing as a dealer, not having a healthy appreciation of acoustics, insisting on promoting speakers that can fix it all instead.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Notwithstanding the demands of professionals, most consumers would regard a loudspeaker systems ability to mitigate environmental flaws with DSP as a virtue wouldn't they?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Keith, it is obvious you have not followed acoustic design the last 20 years and don’t want to, please don’t make a further fool of yourself, bashing on Northward Acoustics. Frankly it is embarrassing as a dealer, not having a healthy appreciation of acoustics, insisting on promoting speakers that can fix it all instead.
Torn it is obvious you do not have the first clue, hanging speakers in free-space is not soffit mounted.
Before you embarrass yourself further,
Audio engineer, is really a misnomer isnt it.
Keith

Torbachkristensen

Torn it is obvious you do not have the first clue, hanging speakers in free-space is not soffit mounted.
Before you embarrass yourself further,
Audio engineer, is really a misnomer isnt it.
Keith

Wow. You literally linked to a description outlining everything I have just described in the earlier post, except for the slightly outdated aspects. It even says on the website:

“No acoustic treatment (rockwool) is needed behind a concrete wall if the wall is air tight. The surface can be finished with wood, soft cloth, etc.”

This is EXACTLY the same principle as Northward, except it is inches thick glass with even higher mass than concrete.

Have you even read a single word in earlier post? No one has said anything about hanging speakers in free space. If you want to further discuss, please start reading, and stop misinterpreting. If you want to see actual northwards designs they are generous with detailed pictures of their builds.

https://www.northwardacoustics.com/portfolio/

Last edited:

czt

What were and still is the most suspicious for me, is that (almost?) everybody who owns, sells ATC's is talking about them as some kind of miracle monitors.

goat76

Major Contributor
What were and still is the most suspicious for me, is that (almost?) everybody who owns, sells ATC's is talking about them as some kind of miracle monitors.
I must have missed that, can you link to some of those (almost?) everybody's comments about ATC speakers as some kind of miracle monitors?

Do you find it strange that people choose the speakers they like, or what? :)
(I find some of the comments in this thread to be somewhat strange)

czt

Do you find it strange that people choose the speakers they like, or what? :)
No. But I never find much objective answer to my always arising question: what is that so unmatchable in them.

dfuller

Major Contributor
We seem to have gone seriously off topic.

The ATC dome is a unicorn because it can be crossed nearly as low as a similar diameter cone. The Neumann dome can't really do that. It is great, to be sure - it does that spooky fabric dome mid thing - but it does not have the LF extension capability that the ATC has. I don't think any other currently produced dome does - not Neumann, not Volt, not Scanspeak, not Bliesma. The only one I know of that can is the long discontinued Dynaudio D76.

I'll say this re: ATC. If I walk into a studio and see them, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from them. NS10s, if NS10s weren't total shit. They reproduce dynamic content shockingly well - nylon guitar "sounds right" on them, and that's nearly as hard to reproduce as piano if not harder.

Balance this with a pretty shit LFX for their size and certainly not the last word in directivity control.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We seem to have gone seriously off topic.

The ATC dome is a unicorn because it can be crossed nearly as low as a similar diameter cone.

Yes, but it has a much larger footprint and much larger centre to centre required than a similar diameter cone because of the giant ferrite motor, so that negates any dispersion advantage. And it is not the last word in distortion and/or max SPL in a world of Purifis now.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Would the SCM50ASL Pro sound bigger and have a bigger soundstage than Genelec 8361 because of its huge cabinet?

Top Bottom