• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Torbachkristensen

No, you may be able to flatten the on-axis response but you can’t EQ out a poor ( and different) off-axis it is that difference between on and off FR that adds colour to the ATCs.
The 8C is the type of loudspeaker ATC should be making.
Keith
You clearly missed out on the EQ sarcasm - I don’t use EQ on the ATC’s and prefer not to on any speaker. And no thanks to Dutch 8C. Fine speaker with excellent LF control. Problematic low crossover to the tweeter and lazy HF representation. It doesn’t even come close to the resolution of the ATC Mid dome + tweeter. Even the distributor had to agree - that says it all.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You clearly missed out on the EQ sarcasm - I don’t use EQ on the ATC’s. And no thanks to Dutch 8C. Fine speaker with excellent LF control. Problematic low crossover to the tweeter and lazy HF representation. It doesn’t even come close to the resolution of the ATC Mid dome + tweeter. Even the distributor had to agree - that says it all.

When you say "problematic" your basis for it is in sighted listening with its well-documented biases - not least of all to vindicate your choices and to hold up this cult of personality that conveniently holds the state of the art in the same place as it was 20, make it 25, years ago rather than admit that time has left it behind.

When we say "problematic" our basis is peer-reviewed research and science about acoustics, human auditory perception and ear physiology. These exist regardless of your anti-intellectualism.

Siding with anecdotal sighted listening, even shown peer-reviewed research about why you can't, and even when it contradicts decades of work by thousands of hearing researchers, engineers and doctors is the height of arrogance. It's to arrogate that your ears function on a fundamentally different basis from what has been shown for the human species.

And again, the discussion is only so critical because ATC, like Harbeth and Chord, and unlike say Living Voice or Audio Note, peddle a superficially engineering-driven and evidence-based approach while stubbornly avoiding all the advances it does not want to, or is incapable of implementing. The intellectual dishonesty and hypocrisy of these quasi-scientific brands is worse than those who are unabashedly purely subjective.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The ATC ‘mid’ that was the reason we took ATC on, when we first had the Kiis here engineers would say yes they are good but the ATc mid…
Well I am afraid that is just a myth, living with Kiis later 8Cs side by side for three years, there is no magic revealing ATC mid dome.
What there is, a large expensive loudspeaker with limited bass, thats why the mid sounds more prominent ragged off axis, that’s why they are more coloured absolutely no adjustability, a 1980’s design.
Not the worst but in a domestic environment the Kiis/8Cs are just packed with good design and subsequently just sound better more transparent more revealing.
‘I have heard ATCs sound good soffit mounted in a fully treated room but then what loudspeaker wouldn’t.
ATc are better then PMC though so not all is lost.
Send a pair to Amir for measurement, obviously that is never going to happen.
Keith

Liya

This is the, ‘you can get used to a poor product’ argument, but why just not use transparent loudspeakers n the first instance.
Keith
I would never connect the so called 'better tools' (ie never studio monitors) with craftsmanship (skills and knowledge of a person behind the controls)

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Any measurements for any of the Northward rooms anywhere?
@DSJR after so many years I have become extremely jaundiced, so many products have been heavily marketed held in high esteem by audiophiles/magazines/dealers only ( mostly thanks to Amir) to be found to have feet of clay, ask of everything what is it unto itself, the ATCs A measured here were extremely poor, and were produced for what seven years?
Keith
Keith, the 19 is derived from the 20SL unless I'm mistaken. Unlike the original 20 which was fairly flat I believe (bass nosedived below 80 - 100hz though I recall), the SL mod to the driver lifted the upper mid into the shape we see in the 19V1 annihilation here. The thing is it seems (by the NS10 pdf online), most smaller monitors were balanced that way twenty odd years ago and I suspect they were aimed at a 'tamed NS10' balance rather than truly flat. My 2000 era 20ASL Pro's had a bass-lift control which I set two notches up for best subjective balance. Sadly - and this has jaundiced me perhaps wrongly as regards the small active wonder-boxes with bass to 40hz or so - I didn't like the 'quality' of the bass, finding it one-note and 'thumpy' which is why I love more effortless larger boxes so much (not sure I can get this out

I do acknowledge that I'm kind of stuck in a timewarp here which the likes of you can't afford to be. I now find almost anything 'sounds' just fine and since I can't play loud any more (it hurts as well as annoys the neighbours), my future speaker purchases (if there are any) may well be along different lines to my pre-retirement (and pre-marriage) needs of old.

I still like talking about ATC's though and it's my opinion that, like the geriatric and highly collectable 1970's Spendor BC1 at its best played at lower levels and carefully sited, you can't really go too wrong with a three way active ATC, the taut bass tuning (the ports don't 'woof' and 'whoomp' in the larger models I remember) helping brick and plaster domestic rooms generally, accepting that larger US timber frame structures may need a sub or two to make up for the structure absorbing some low end

DSJR

Major Contributor
P.S. I loved the Kii Three's on their own when I heard them, but how good are they on speech alone? the sound balance was clean, very clear but perhaps just a touch too 'Hifi' to be true? although the highs were actually 'sweet toned' which dispelled any preconceptions on Class D amps.

Lord I miss working with speakers like this :(

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are just a traditional design, passive, large enclosure limited bass extension the measurements reveal everything, you must try and hear a truly full-range contemporary loudspeaker , really deep bass from a sealed enclosure and no boom because they are adjustable.
Why would you want anything else?
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
P.S. I loved the Kii Three's on their own when I heard them, but how good are they on speech alone? the sound balance was clean, very clear but perhaps just a touch too 'Hifi' to be true? although the highs were actually 'sweet toned' which dispelled any preconceptions on Class D amps.

Lord I miss working with speakers like this :(
Obviously they can’t do speech!
Come on Ds get with it, the loudspeaker doesn’t know what it is playing, the ‘too hifi’ is just the absence of colouration that you have grown up with.
Keith

Torbachkristensen

When you say "problematic" your basis for it is in sighted listening with its well-documented biases - not least of all to vindicate your choices and to hold up this cult of personality that conveniently holds the state of the art in the same place as it was 20, make it 25, years ago rather than admit that time has left it behind.

When we say "problematic" our basis is peer-reviewed research and science about acoustics, human auditory perception and ear physiology. These exist regardless of your anti-intellectualism.

Siding with anecdotal sighted listening, even shown peer-reviewed research about why you can't, and even when it contradicts decades of work by thousands of hearing researchers, engineers and doctors is the height of arrogance. It's to arrogate that your ears function on a fundamentally different basis from what has been shown for the human species.

And again, the discussion is only so critical because ATC, like Harbeth and Chord, and unlike say Living Voice or Audio Note, peddle a superficially engineering-driven and evidence-based approach while stubbornly avoiding all the advances it does not want to, or is incapable of implementing. The intellectual dishonesty and hypocrisy of these quasi-scientific brands is worse than those who are unabashedly purely subjective.
I have no interest in your view on my knowledge or listening abillity :) You have made nothing but endless accusations, about designs you have never heard, seen or measured. It is of complete irrelevance, and you are just another drinking the coolaid of modern manufacturers, who worship a new set of compromises. There is nothing wrong with either or, the implementation and design goals are different, but all these pseudo-scientific rants about how serious legacy manufacturers have been “left in the dust” by DSP is just laughable, since we are talking about moving air and not fairy-dust.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Torb less fan-boy more measurements, ask ATc to send a pair for measurement.
Keith

Last edited:

Torbachkristensen

They are just a traditional design, passive, large enclosure limited bass extension the measurements reveal everything, you must try and hear a truly full-range contemporary loudspeaker , really deep bass from a sealed enclosure and no boom because they are adjustable.
Why would you want anything else?
Keith
Dear Keith. With all due respect, you have never heard a speaker-room integration like this, you wouldn’t know how it sounds. And obviously does not know what soffit mount does to the LF of a speaker like the 110, to claim what you claim here. And obviously that sort of integration can never be done with a pair of “modern” DSP wonders - they are designed with a different implementation in mind, and it would suite you to acknowledge these different designs and what they can and can’t do. This is discussion has obviously turned to a sales pitch. I am out, have fun with your DSP’s :)

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Torb, I have actually, speakers do sound really good in ‘properly’ treated rooms, the advantages of proper soffit mounting are known and understood, although I saw Northward claiming that speakers hung in two glass baffles in free space were ‘soffit mounted’!
I am interested in providing the finest quality sound possible for domestic listeners contemporary designs do that, end of.

Keith

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Hmmn… I find it far more impressive how certain speaker manufacturers are able to create excellent performing speakers (on- and off-axis) without the apparent absolute requirement of a complete, from the ground up, specifically engineered/designed studio room construction.

Torbachkristensen

although I saw Northward claiming that speakers hung in two glass baffles in free space were ‘soffit mounted’!
Are you really serious? :facepalm: Wow, you don’t even understand the principle and design. This discussion really is useless then. I hope you find a way to hear one of his rooms one day.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You really don’t know what proper ‘soffit mounting’ requires, look it up.
Keith

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmn… I find it far more impressive how certain speaker manufacturers are able to create excellent performing speakers (on- and off-axis) without the apparent absolute requirement of a complete, from the ground up, specifically engineered/designed studio room construction.
Yes, there's no doubt that home consumers are very well served these days. I agree there's a great choice of excellent options right now. But - if you personally had to succeed with a difficult project that would feed your family for the next six months, you would opt for "a complete, from the ground up, specifically engineered/designed studio room construction". Anything else is bringing a butter knife to a gunfight.

Torbachkristensen

You really don’t know what proper ‘soffit mounting’ requires, look it up.
Keith
Keith. Northwards design is to achieve complete decoupling from the front wall and room, wall material has nothing to say, as long as it is free from resonance. The design has nothing to do with “glass-baffles in free space” The speakers are mounted into a foam ligned cabinet, and attached to these cabinets are industrial springs with sub 5-hz self-resonance, which are mounted to floor and ceiling with steel rods. The speakers do not touch the frontwall at all, they are completely free floating (with mm tolerance) and decoupled - and are effectively free from all problems related to backwall cancellation and diffraction, playing only into half-space acoustic environment, also gaining about 6db of LF gain. That is why you don’t find the LF boost filter on the amps, because that is to compensate for free floating install, where this gain is not achieved. Maybe that is not what you learned about soffit mounting, but it is however how any cutting-edge modern installation is done. This is to create as close to a freespace environment as possible from where the speaker radiates, and the rest of the room is then left to be treated for room modes and optimizing response throughout the room. Hence the Front To Back design. If you really want to question the validity of the best studio design acoustician atm, then I don’t really know what else to say.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Wall construction and material is not important are you sure, link to the install to make sure we are discussing the same project, glass panels suspended with free space behind the loudspeakers.
Keith

Torbachkristensen

Free space behind speakers in these installs has no impact on the sound in the room, the front wall is so thick and heavy, that any sound that emits from the back cannot be transferred to the actual room. It is about decoupling, not about absorbing.

YSC

Major Contributor
Keith. Northwards design is to achieve complete decoupling from the front wall and room, wall material has nothing to say, as long as it is free from resonance. The design has nothing to do with “glass-baffles in free space” The speakers are mounted into a foam ligned cabinet, and attached to these cabinets are industrial springs with sub 5-hz self-resonance, which are mounted to floor and ceiling with steel rods. The speakers do not touch the frontwall at all, they are completely free floating (with mm tolerance) and decoupled - and are effectively free from all problems related to backwall cancellation and diffraction, playing only into half-space acoustic environment, also gaining about 6db of LF gain. That is why you don’t find the LF boost filter on the amps, because that is to compensate for free floating install, where this gain is not achieved. Maybe that is not what you learned about soffit mounting, but it is however how any cutting-edge modern installation is done. This is to create as close to a freespace environment as possible from where the speaker radiates, and the rest of the room is then left to be treated for room modes and optimizing response throughout the room. Hence the Front To Back design. If you really want to question the validity of the best studio design acoustician atm, then I don’t really know what else to say.
Regardless of this arguement aside, I just wonders, when a pair of speakers are having a specifically designed room for it, by the engineer who knows the speaker going to be installed well, treat with geometry, absorbtion, diffraction etc. IMO any half decent speakers in the mixing (MLP) will sound fantastic, where no speaker in a home environment where a hell lot more compromises are present. but when that's the thing to compare, then it's like comparing a complete package to a single component. IF hearing such a Northwards room is so important, than why can you say it's the best in the world (sorry if I exagerrated) when other studio builders did world class studios using Genelec, Neumann, PMC etc. to build.

From my limited english, I think nobody really questioned that built for the installed ATC room setup will sound great, and any other speaker, say put on stands or put on the consoles won't sound as nice (sheer driver sizes of the sofit mout speaker regardless of brand) should have cleaner and less distortion at reasonably high SPL. But when a speaker need all that cost to really kicking anything domestic out of the way, it didn't make it the true holy grail of speaker, as you can't really share with someone with a glass of wine or sit on a comfortable sofa in that no?.. and personally, I will be curious if you could get a REW and mic to measure the MLP in room response, I guess it would be really close to being flat/near one of a target curve without say me putting my genelecs on a desk of a Gaming PC, I believe all those sound better are related to clean SPL and real flat and good FR

Top Bottom