• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@aac so that was a 'no' in answer to my question then? In which case let's maybe not assume they are all 'iffy'...

aac

Yours actually look better (well I don't really know because nothing higher than 5 khz included for some reason).
I'd prefer higher resolution and some frequencies higher than 5 khz included.
Are ATCs V-shaped in general? Yours have some bass boost and what is in higher frequencies?
That small ATC is the reverse of V-shaped so no, but I wonder if their newer models are like this

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Yours actually look better (well I don't really know because nothing higher than 5 khz included for some reason).
I'd prefer higher resolution and some frequencies higher than 5 khz included.
Are ATCs V-shaped in general? Yours have some bass boost and what is in higher frequencies?

You'll note I just quoted a graph posted earlier in this thread - I don't know the source. I missed that the graph didn't go above 5 kHz though - it's a bit odd the full range wasn't plotted to be honest.

One general thought on some of the data shared is that I wonder if the 'on-axis' measurement position is always at the height that ATC may have designed for.

aac

You'll note I just quoted a graph posted earlier in this thread - I don't know the source. I missed that the graph didn't go above 5 kHz though - it's a bit odd the full range wasn't plotted to be honest.

One general thought on some of the data shared is that I wonder if the 'on-axis' measurement position is always at the height that ATC may have designed for.
They measured from 4 meters, so shouldn't be a problem at all.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are people out there buying SCM 19 v2 for $4000? If i had to pay that much, i would support the critics. My cat is outraged!
obliterated.gif

I payed 1450€ used. I think retail is 2200€ a pair in Europe. Fair, if you ask me.

Ultrasonic

They measured from 4 meters, so shouldn't be a problem at all.

I was talking in general, not your specific graph but you raise a different point. The 4 m listening distance is presumably rather longer than ATC will have had in mind for the ATC SCM25 model I'd have thought?

For what it's worth, this is where ATC will be optimising their responses for:

1636478841816.png

Source: page 3 of http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SCM25-50-100-110-150-USER-MANUAL..pdf .

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A honest speaker should not sound '' very wow, such clarity in mid range ''
So an honest speaker should sound, wow, such lack of clarity in the midrange? That makes no sense to me. Honestly, the uninformed graph-peeping here really isn't helping. Modern active ATCs work very well, for their intended professional task. Rather than handwaving about how that must be impossible, you should figure out how it is in fact a reality.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
So an honest speaker should sound, wow, such lack of clarity in the midrange? That makes no sense to me. Honestly, the uninformed graph-peeping here really isn't helping. Modern active ATCs work very well, for their intended professional task. Rather than handwaving about how that must be impossible, you should figure out how it is in fact a reality.
Maybe you need to deal with the reality, ATC doesn't have any flat speaker.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The fact that atc is a good pro speaker is not a question.
Northward spoke about science and hard numbers. We would see the hard numbers

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
No speaker in all of human history has ever been flat. Stop dreaming, start figuring.

That's a weird question, on a science forum. I thought figuring things out was the point!
let me re write my statment: Maybe you need to deal with the reality, ATC doesn't have any near flat speaker.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I, too, am disgusted with the lack of linearity in FR obtruded by ATC on the pollyannaish listener. Outrageous, i say, is the audacity with which ATC deceives it's customers. How dare they not deliver +/- 0.2dB linearity, for i can clearly hear differences greater than that in my anechoic living room? How much more must ATC customers endure? How long must ATC customers accept the domination of ATC marketing over common sense?

trading_gods.gif

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. Then, with open minds, we need to examine how the measurements relate to the reports from the field. We might learn something important.
I was in the process to send Amir one of my SCM19 v2, but the risk sending them from Germany to burgerland snuffed the life out of the idea. Also, shipping costs, tariffs and so on.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
let me re write my statment: Maybe you need to deal with the reality, ATC doesn't have any near flat speaker.
Then maybe we should ask if "flatness" is as important as lay intuition suggests. Literally billions of hours of collective experience is that it isn't. You have a choice whether to pursue that investigation, or cling to lay intuition and ideology. Up to you.

807Recordings

Then there is a lot of pro's not using ATC. Look at Dave Pensado and his studio facility he did a tour of. I could be wrong but I do not recall seeing a single ATC speaker there. That was amongst other in the facility to.
Just because GS Board says something doesn't mean much as I see so many so called pro's on their posting all day. I would think if you are so busy with clients the message board wouldn't be so popular. We can also take from GS a certain Mastering Engineer who swears by tubes, homopathy, cables, etc and he even has Grammy awards. In short GS is just opinions and fan boys with a few exceptions of people who mostly stop participating. Again let us not make this board that.

From what I see here so far ATC measures objectively not great.
There has been no evidence to the contrary.
Heresy (someone said) does not change that.

I welcome objective data to the contrary but outside of that it is just all opinions I am afraid.

watch

Top Bottom