• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

dfuller

Major Contributor
But you use proper gear to drive them.
Any decent DAC can drive them properly.
Does anyone know anything about these?:

View attachment 364476

View attachment 364477

I didn't know ATC made speakers with what looks like a cast metal enclosure.

More pictures here: https://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/16-03069-70467-00.html
Yeah, it's the older 20ASL Pro. They use a standard MDF box now. Don't think there was much if any sonic change, but the MDF is certainly cheaper - and they make most of their cabinets in house now, which for obvious reasons they can't do with cast aluminum.

goat76

Major Contributor
Genelec factory(for comparison )
I actually like the different approaches for doing pro audio
Genelec factory feels maybe a bit more modern but ATC is still very cool

The Genelec factory is "just" a 5.5-hour drive from where I live. :)

I like their approach which in a similar way to ATC focuses on longevity in that they can still repair speakers they made decades ago, even the first speakers they ever made. That is the good thing about making most of the parts and drivers in-house, which are easily swapped out, instead of relying on off-the-shelf parts made by third-party manufacturers who can decide to stop the production.

Even if Genelec and ATC do things differently in many ways, they both understand the business they serve and how important it is to make robust speakers that have great longevity and repairability.

574stereo

It's worth noting that there are strong links between Genelec, ATC and Neumann. There are ex-genelec employees working in the R&D team at ATC for example. I know ATC have a lot of respect for what the other companies are doing. I've never seen any suggestion that they think they're the best in the world, they just love what they're doing. Very BS free...

Remember Genelec, ATC, Neumann, Adam, Focal etc all cover slightly different parts of the market and offer good viable alternatives to people depending on what they're looking for. If you want a DSP speaker with cardioid dispersion, you have multiple brands to choose from. Just because ATC isn't one of them doesn't mean they're 'stuck in the past'.

Their choice to stick with class AB amps is so they can keep everything in-house, less reliance on third party suppliers. All of this = better longevity.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The Genelec factory is "just" a 5.5-hour drive from where I live. :)

I like their approach which in a similar way to ATC focuses on longevity in that they can still repair speakers they made decades ago, even the first speakers they ever made. That is the good thing about making most of the parts and drivers in-house, which are easily swapped out, instead of relying on off-the-shelf parts made by third-party manufacturers who can decide to stop the production.

Even if Genelec and ATC do things differently in many ways, they both understand the business they serve and how important it is to make robust speakers that have great longevity and repairability.
Yes - exactly this. In this industry, the more you can do in-house the better. This is somewhere a company like Neumann falls behind - they don't make any drivers themselves, so the service lives post-discontinuation can be quite limited as they're at the mercy of the driver manufacturer they contract with. The most common failure point of any speaker is the drivers - even moreso than the plate amps in actives.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
This is somewhere a company like Neumann falls behind - they don't make any drivers themselves
I'm not sure that's correct:

dfuller

Major Contributor

goat76

Major Contributor
The upcoming new album Wild God by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds has been recorded and produced in the Miraval Studios in France, you know that studio that looks like a spaceship with all those white ATC speakers. :)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The upcoming new album Wild God by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds has been recorded and produced in the Miraval Studios in France, you know that studio that looks like a spaceship with all those white ATC speakers. :)

Miraval-studios-101022-f0207abc7b924a64942ecc738aa651cb.jpg

It's owned by Brad Pitt

Top Bottom