• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC SCM19 Bookshelf Speaker Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The company needs to provide measurements for its speakers. Without it, a ding against them is justified and appropriate especially in the market they normally live in.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The company needs to provide measurements for its speakers. Without it, a ding against them is justified and appropriate especially in the market they normally live in.
Yes, certainly for a company using a "pro" reputation as a major part of their marketing.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Yes and I will point out that in a £2000 speaker expect no more than £200 be spent in parts. So can we please stop bringing up state of the art drive units in a comparison to these?
TAD are state of the art drive units are their speakers exceptional? Not from what i have heard
I've always thought that ATC, with their "pro" market, were much bigger than the usual boutique makers, with R&D facilities to match. Have I had this wrong all this time?

I agree with everything else you say. It often looks as if some "have their knives out" ready to attack, as if they already "knew" that ATCs were overpriced and overrated. I'm just baffled (sorry!) by the apparently poor showing here.
ATC client list:
http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/client-list/
Are they all deaf?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I do not question the measurements but a speaker is more than fr measurements.Do all speakers with the same fr sound the same? Psychoacoustics and the room are a major factor too. As you say this is one speaker measured we need to see more of their speakers measured to have an idea of what is going on.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not question the measurements but a speaker is more than fr measurements.Do all speakers with the same fr sound the same? Psychoacoustics and the room are a major factor too. As you say this is one speaker measured we need to see more of their speakers measured to have an idea of what is going on.

A speaker -is- more than frequency response, but if it doesn't get that right, the rest doesn't matter either.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
With regard to amplifier power, a greater concern to me would be current supplying ability.

If Amir's 500W@8ohm/1000W@4ohm isn't enough then I doubt ATC's mere 300W@8ohm (they don't spec 4 ohm) amplifiers can supply more current. Why would ATC build such low power amplifiers? /s

They will not sound the same, but flatter anechoic results result in higher preference levels. That's why this ATC isn't very good.

TAD are state of the art drive units are their speakers exceptional? Not from what i have heard
ATC client list:
Are they all deaf?
Its also about the loudspeaker design. The M106 uses cheap drivers, yet easily outperforms these ATC's. TAD could be just very good at designing loudspeakers (haven't seen measurements). You have to understand there is more to loudspeakers than just the drivers.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATC client list:
Are they all deaf?

You don't have to be deaf to buy or use bad speakers, just tricked by their marketing/hype.

I'm sure there are many studios/engineers out there using objectively bad equipment.

yourtheorymusic

Forum Donor
ATC client list:
Are they all deaf?

I've worked in many studios with ATC monitors and have personally owned their SCM25A 3-way. ATC's are not known by audio engineers for their low-end response, and because of that many studios use subs in conjunction with ATC's (even with their largest speakers). You can see this in Northward Acoustic designed studios -- the two subs are used to fill out the octaves below 60hz.

Funny enough, many monitors used by engineers are NOT very flat at all. Frequency response is only one element of a speaker that an engineer finds useful. And never forget the famous Yamaha NS-10 monitor is still used by some of the biggest mixing engineers in the world...

unnamed-3.jpg

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made no judgement about the whole company. Each speaker though is a section in the resume of a company and based on this one, I would not hire them for the job. I am sure over time we will get other samples of their speakers and we can then conclude what we want about them as a whole.
The history of ASR's analysis of Schitt's is a perfect case in point. Some products scored poorly, some well. But once they started paying attention to the reviews the performance appears to have improved greatly. There are counter examples as well. Best not dwell on them.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I've worked in many studios with ATC monitors and have personally owned their SCM25A 3-way. ATC's are not known by audio engineers for their low-end response, and because of that many studios use subs in conjunction with ATC's (even with their largest speakers). You can see this in Northward Acoustic designed studios -- the two subs are used to fill out the octaves below 60hz.

Funny enough, many monitors used by engineers are NOT very flat at all. Frequency response is only one element of a speaker that an engineer finds useful. And never forget the famous Yamaha NS-10 monitor is still used by some of the biggest mixing engineers in the world...

View attachment 72181
Is that console sucking the bass lol.Please read my posts about their bass
You don't have to be deaf to buy or use bad speakers, just tricked by their marketing/hype.

I'm sure there are many studios/engineers out there using objectively bad equipment.
Have you heard them and which model?What did not you like?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
So you would buy any speaker with flat fr is that right?
If Amir's 500W@8ohm/1000W@4ohm isn't enough then I doubt ATC's mere 300W@8ohm (they don't spec 4 ohm) amplifiers can supply more current. Why would ATC build such low power amplifiers? /s

They will not sound the same, but flatter anechoic results result in higher preference levels. That's why this ATC isn't very good.

Its also about the loudspeaker design. The M106 uses cheap drivers, yet easily outperforms these ATC's. TAD could be just very good at designing loudspeakers (haven't seen measurements). You have to understand there is more to loudspeakers than just the drivers.
I did not write the part about amplifiers.What i find wrong is to judge the Brand from this model does this make them a better company: https://www.hifinews.com/content/atc-scm100se-loudspeaker-lab-report

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, ATC is a great company except for this one speaker model. Can we just move on now?

Pharos

The company is not perfect, and as an ex quality control engineer I have become very scrutinising. (Aquilae Oculo).

I found an inherent wiring fault on my 100s when I rebuilt them, and which Bill said he would correct on the drawings, My friend who bought them from me also bought 20s for a 5.1 system, but the energy responses were wrong. After a lot of messing around it was found that one of the 20s had a tweeter inverted.

Bill also told me that for the pro market, a bass boost pot was added for 'their tastes',

As a more universal point, we adapt to sounds and we eventually become habituated to a new speaker, and this becomes our new 'norm'. The brain does a great deal or processing to interpret an 'reconstruct', this Hi-Fi illusion business. Try putting on an FM tuner and switching fro station to station, it takes a long time for the brain to adapt the the shock of the change, acclimatise, and interpret the noise, as instruments.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And never forget the famous Yamaha NS-10 monitor is still used by some of the biggest mixing engineers in the world...
No big mix engineer found I have read about found it great though, it just had 2 big plus points, it was found all over the world so it was good cross-check when being in a different studio and due to its mid peak it would resemble tonally many poor kitchen and car audio systems of that time and therefore was used as a final compatibility check and got also the comment "if it sounds good on NS10s then it'll sound good on anything".

And yes, good and experienced recording engineers will make a good mix even on mediocre equipment but an even better one great equipment.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard them and which model?What did not you like?

I've never heard this speaker, but even if I had, I wouldn't let my subjective impression of it influence your opinion of the way it sounds. I'm just a random stranger on the internet. My subjective impression of a speaker is meaningless. That's what makes measurements so much more valuable.

Sonny1

Yikes, I went away for a day to do some boating, fishing and outdoor stuff and missed all of the excitement. So ATC makes great speakers, EXCEPT for the one Amir tester? I look forward to the next ATC speaker he tests. This could be an anomaly but I’ll wait until the next one performs well before I believe it.

We’ve seen it before with Schiit, some products measured well and others didn’t measure as well. The last few items from Schiit performed very well. Let’s hope the same will be true of ATC. They are a premium priced product and performance should be in the top tier to justify the asking price.

Top Bottom