• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC SCM19 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet they sound better right up against the wall behind them. I wonder if they were purposely designed for such placement?
This is how people seem to end up using them, often in small rooms with solid walls which will maximize the bass, but they still sound get described as if they are lean in the bass.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Humiliation is a harsh word for such a respected company like ATC and one can not make conclusion from having measured one speaker from their entire line although i would not pay the money they are asking for their speakers. What every brand is claiming Neumann included can only be measured and proven. They could be better or worse.

It is an apples-to-apples comparison of 3" mid domes from the same era by 2 different companies, once linked by an OEM relationship. Moreover, identical 3" domes were used throughout the lineup of each brand. And when the comparison shows one brand having distortion so low that it can play twice as loud and 10 times the power before reaching the same level of distortion, I can't see how it's not a humiliation - especially when claims of an exceptional, transcendentally-good 3" dome are central to ATC's identity and sales pitch.

Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
Headless panther, why am I not surprised

More than 10 years ago when I just started audiophilia, my concern with spending over $500 is that there seems to be no guarantee that expensive speakers will perform better. Performance seems to be more luck-based, and when people defend the products with "it's about how they sound in practice" and "subjectively sounds nice" it just further supports the idea.

2020, and that concern has not changed.

wwenze

Major Contributor
One argument for sealed design is that bass reflex ports are basically resonators so they "start slow" and "end slow", for the lack of better words.

Yet that resonance at 700Hz that nobody seems to have noticed or found problematic...

Thousand thanks review and hard work Amir :) sorry sound was low performance and it looks they forgot filter for baffle loss and diffraction :facepalm:...

We can hope the newer designs would have those changes. The cabinets sure look different enough to expect some FR changes in either case.

Or it could be another "Oh that's how it is intended to sound like"

This is how people seem to end up using them, often in small rooms with solid walls which will maximize the bass, but they still sound get described as if they are lean in the bass.
This is the kind of topic that "subjectivity preferences vs objective" should be discussing. I myself am a lover of boundary gain and I love my bass. Consider most people have used speakers that are decently flat and on table / against a wall without EQ, this would become their natural perception of "normal". My piano is placed against a wall, so that is how I remember it to sound too. I'm not going to EQ my piano to remove boundary gain?

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What? Where is the bass? What is that woofer doing?
Obviously they tuned it for british households, which are made of brick not drywall
/s

Jokes aside, KEF sells port plugs and for the ones with multiple ports they mention the building construction as a factor for which they recommend.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
It is an apples-to-apples comparison of 3" mid domes from the same era by 2 different companies, once linked by an OEM relationship. Moreover, identical 3" domes were used throughout the lineup of each brand. And when the comparison shows one brand having distortion so low that it can play 10 times louder before reaching the same level of distortion, I can't see how it's not a humiliation - especially when claims of an exceptional, transcendentally-good 3" dome are central to ATC's identity and sales pitch.
I dont trust a German magazine reviewing german speakers it is the same with cars German cars are the most unreliable right now but in their magazines are always the best.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One argument for sealed design is that bass reflex ports are basically resonators so they "start slow" and "end slow", for the lack of better words.
This can be seen by measuring the group delay as well as looking at a graph that showcases response over time, like the waterfall. However, audibility thresholds need to be taken into account. Also, the waterfalls Amir produces aren’t 100% accurate if I recall, so you can’t really compare them.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Obviously they tuned it for british households, which are made of brick not drywall
/s

Jokes aside, KEF sells port plugs and for the ones with multiple ports they mention the building construction as a factor for which they recommend.

Wait, so, now we have to consider this equation too?
refl.gif

Koeitje

Major Contributor
/s

Revel also comes with plugs.

Anyway, happy I didn't but these. Had them on my shortlist due to marketing..

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
.....What? Where is the bass? What is that woofer doing? It sure is not moving much. I turned up the volume but now the mids and highs were getting quite loud and annoying.....

...:) no doubt system curve looks a misunderstanding and sorry it wasn't much a pleasure listening but actual if roll off knee is offset to scale of M16 knee then SCM19 has lower reach as seen below including two relative simple PEQ (108Hz/+6/Q0,65 - 659Hz/-3,2/Q4) it takes to bring SCM19 tonality in closer tonality policy of M16.
Low_end_verse_M16_1000mS_edit.gif

Last edited:

tw99

The smaller ATC speakers do have a bit of a reputation for being bass light, and I guess we are seeing that clearly in the measurements. Whatever the advice about placement, based on pictures posted in forums, I think most people are using them pretty close to the wall (which in the UK is typically going to be made of bricks), so that will provide some LF uplift and overall a more balanced sound, especially as there's no port to complicate the response.

The thing that surprises me most is the apparent lack of power handling, since they're supposed to be designed for high power and low distortion.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir, really surprising results, from two UK manufacturers who have been held in such high regard For so long.
Keith

Top Bottom