• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC SCM19 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep, but the midrange dome is made by Dynaudio I've heard. I think the bigger models (O400, O500C) used ATC midrange domes.
The dome used in neumanns is better than ATC anyway

Andrea Campagna

If you don't have quality watts to drive these professional speakers you better forget it and review some other cinese crap... probably the 80% of the music you listen to is created and produced with these drivers...

YSC

Major Contributor
If you don't have quality watts to drive these professional speakers you better forget it and review some other cinese crap... probably the 80% of the music you listen to is created and produced with these drivers...
IIRC amirm uses Mark Levinson amps enough to drive huge floor standers, if thats not quality watts..

DSJR

Major Contributor
The 19 and 20SL's all seem to have this basic response (the 20ASL Pro's I had definitely did, although the actives had a bass-lift control to help flatten the lower midrange) but not sure my original 20 passives from thirty years back did anything like as much although there was a measured response 'glitch' where the dome took over at 600hz or so. Equalising the bass up a little (+2 on the control) on my 20ASL pro's gave a 'thumpy' bass quality nothing whatsoever like the easy 100A 'tones' I loved so much back then - why I'm suspicious of the small-cone wonder-monitors with DSP to extend the bass down unnaturally for such a small driver...

Yes, they need good old fashioned POWER to move them along, but power is cheap today, so not an issue if they appeal. The 19A active floor standers are brightly lit I admit, but in a smaller room and set close to the wall behind, I didn't find it at all unpleasant (no eq settings on these from memory).

Subject to confirmation, I'd suggest the SCM11 model may well be more neutrally balanced, but again, cheaper far eastern made speakers now may make it look too expensive (I'm thinking babies from Wharfedale Diamond, the Linton Heritage which come with stands cheaper in the UK, Q Acoustics if their current range hasn't gone off the boil in terms of subjective balance and so on - I'm suspicious of KEF's at this price but that may well be unfair).

I hope ATC can continue and eventually to innovate again. Not sure the personnel are there now to be allowed to do it now Billy's gone.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That would explain a lot.
Keith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had missed this until it got trolled up again.

These measurements explain a lot about an audition of these speakers I arranged back in 2018. Nice to correlate the measurements to my subjective memory.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I had missed this until it got trolled up again.

These measurements explain a lot about an audition of these speakers I arranged back in 2018. Nice to correlate the measurements to my subjective memory.
Yeah, this particular size of ATC (SCM19 or SCM20) all measure like this. I think the idea was originally that they were supposed to be "NS10s, but not terrible" - i.e., they still did the mid hump thing, but were much better in terms of driver quality (ie, distortion) and more robust. On a meter bridge, the 2-300hz area is boosted dramatically from console bounce, so that upper mid thing is far less severe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom