• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC SCM150ASL PRO or Genelec 1238A

OP
W

Whathe

I'm guessing he's saying that 15 inch sounds more effortless than a 10 inch
That's what I'm talking about.:facepalm: I'm not a English native speaker, can't figure out how to express the feeling of the Chinese word '宽松感'. Thanks for translating more accurately.

Last edited:

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Berlin

Today, I find another 16" Box called ME Geithain RL901k, same price as 1238A. Could this model sounds better than Genelec 1238A?
I never had the opportunity to listen to the 1238A but own the RL901K. The big advantage of the Geithains is their cardiod design. It makes placement easy. A/B tested against the Neumann KH 310 and KH KH420 the Geithains sounded "more natural" to me. I also own the Genelec 8330A plus 7350A. Compared to the 901K they sound much "dryer".

Avp1

Ashamed to say, the funds are not in place yet.:facepalm:

I do not know where you are located, but some dealers offer zero interest loan to get large ATCs. SCM50 and bigger are made to order, thus you will have to wait 3-5 months for delivery anyway. If you are OK with 30Hz LF limit, SCM100 (12") will get you there. SCM150 are for REALLY large rooms.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
ATC-SCM300ASL-Pro (1).png

Or get the SCM300 :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I never had the opportunity to listen to the 1238A but own the RL901K. The big advantage of the Geithains is their cardiod design. It makes placement easy. A/B tested against the Neumann KH 310 and KH KH420 the Geithains sounded "more natural" to me. I also own the Genelec 8330A plus 7350A. Compared to the 901K they sound much "dryer".
Did you also audition the Genelec Ones?
Thanks

fredstuhl

I do not know where you are located, but some dealers offer zero interest loan to get large ATCs. SCM50 and bigger are made to order, thus you will have to wait 3-5 months for delivery anyway. If you are OK with 30Hz LF limit, SCM100 (12") will get you there. SCM150 are for REALLY large rooms.
And they should play even lower with room gain.
@OP - are you after the look of 15inch woofers, or do you have a huge room? Because if not, you can most likely opt for well designed smaller ones without missing anything. Pocket the difference, or spend it on room correction/ multiple subwoofers for actual low fq response improvements.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I'm guessing he's saying that 15 inch sounds more effortless than a 10 inch
I have had both and even at 90+ db I haven’t heard anything strained from either. Just that the KH420 have bass punch that the 15” lack.

OP
W

Whathe

It comes to the conclusion to me that RL901K is in the middle from ATC 150 PRO to Genelec 1238A, close to 1238A.

OP
W

Whathe

I can actually spend some small money pre-ordering a pair of ATC150s, then wait maybe 4 months while the final payment is ready. BUT I want more details of the differences between these 3 models of speakers. Though in the end, I got to listen to these 3 models myself in case of wasting that huge amount of money.

HairyEars

I think you're really too caught up in the 15" driver thing. It makes much, much more sense to go for a slightly smaller one and augment with subs if you want more bottom end response.

Room correction EQ is largely a fool's errand, though I know I will be shouted down on this forum for saying that.
Yes, 1238DF + 7380 is an option worth considering.

YSC

Major Contributor
That's what I'm talking about.:facepalm: I'm not a English native speaker, can't figure out how to express the feeling of the Chinese word '宽松感'. Thanks for translating more accurately.
actually this feels more like some kind of visual perceptiono more than the actual sound, for most rooms in China a pair of 10" would hardly need to work hard before friendly neighbours will come warmly discuss with you;) if possible I do suggest you to ask for blind testing on the short listed speakers and see if you can still identify the sound out. if you want to talk in chinese you are welcomed to pm and have some discussion

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HairyEars

For living room (or should I call it ballroom) use this https://atc.audio/hi-fi/loudspeakers/tower-series/scm300aslt/ is better

ATC-SCM300SL-Tower.png

It's seems quite different than the 1238A concept.
The ATC doesn't have a waveguide, so I suspect wide dispersion, which is more prone to excite a room.
Furthermore, the acoustic axis is relatively high, which is also an indication the speaker is meant to fill the room with music, rather than focusing on a relatively narrow sweet spot.

Perhaps the OP will be more than happy with the 1237A. Reviewers claim it was a major improvement over the 1037, and 12" woofer is nothing to sniff at. Given a modest size room and a 2m-2.5m listening distance, it could turn out a perfect choice.

Translate from Finnish and enjoy :)

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are your SPL requirements actual high, or do you just want the sound of huge woofers? A solution with Genelec w371a will give you the best bass sound quality.

Top Bottom