• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC Loudspeakers 'Entry' Consumer Series

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I just noticed today the ATC website explicitly refers to the woofer and mid in the SCM40 as the same used in the SCM25A:

screen-capture.png

I think this is the first case where a studio speaker maker has (perhaps in error) admitted that, yes, these drivers in our consumer series are the same as in our pro series. Focal or Dynaudio might have certainly used drivers similarly, but I've never seen them explicitly admit it.

I would be interesting to demo using tracks mixed/mastered using SCM25A as part of the production chain.

Interestingly, the tweeter in the SCM40 is actually the newer (better?) ATC-made SH25-76, as opposed to the Vifa tweeter in the SCM25A.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the early days the only difference between the pro ATC speakers and the domestic ones was cabinet finish. Relatively recently the bigger domestic ones have added a floorstanding version as well and subsequently other cabinet differences. The mid dome was only available as one model for many years. A more sensitive version of it is a relatively recent addition.
I am not familiar with the 2-ways, but have heard most of the 3-ways over the years.

BTW for those that didn't know, the model number is the cabinet volume in litres.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In the early days the only difference between the pro ATC speakers and the domestic ones was cabinet finish. Relatively recently the bigger domestic ones have added a floorstanding version as well and subsequently other cabinet differences. The mid dome was only available as one model for many years. A more sensitive version of it is a relatively recent addition.
I am not familiar with the 2-ways, but have heard most of the 3-ways over the years.

BTW for those that didn't know, the model number is the cabinet volume in litres.

I've changed my plans from investing in a set of ATC 2-ways (SCM19 or 20) for the following reasons:

1. My new room size really probably does need a 3-way (maybe even 3-way plus sub). As good as the ATC 2-ways are, I think I'd outgrow them quickly in my new living room.

2. Upgrade path: Right now, with the Devialet 400, I can bi-amp (passive or active). For 2-ways, that's the end of the line. But if I invest in 3 ways, I can move from bi-amp to eventual tri-amp (another Dev 200).

3. The midrange driver: As good as the SB75-150SL is purported to be, it's really the 3" midrange home that is at the heart of ATC's most popular pro monitors, which maps to certain mastering studios / producers that I actually own.

Occamsrazor

I'm running A pair of SCM11s via Hypex Ncore mono blocks, along with a C1 sub, and very happy. In retrospect I wish I had got the SCM19s, but cost and shipping weight was a big factor.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm running A pair of SCM11s via Hypex Ncore mono blocks, along with a C1 sub, and very happy. In retrospect I wish I had got the SCM19s, but cost and shipping went get was a big factor.

If you don't mind my asking, what country are you in?

Occamsrazor

Where would it have shipped from?

UK... but don't want to pollute this thread with specifics. More than happy to discuss anything via PM though....

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the ATC SCM7 and SCM19. Both are v1, so don’t have the in-house ATC tweeters. I didn’t realize how sensitive my ears were to speaker distortion until I heard the ATCs. I can’t stand most other speakers now which is unfortunate. The mid range is addictive in a way.

I agree with others on active pro versions if aesthetics are not an issue. The new active consumer serious speakers are atrociously expensive IMO.

I’ve been eyeing the scm20 active pros. Pricey but that might be the end game for me.

I wonder if ATC will get into DSP and digital crossovers. I’ve listened to the Devialet Phantom Gold and the KEF LS50w. The devialet is so freakin cool but has that class D like sound I didn’t like. The Kefs are just plain terrible. Kii is overpriced beyond belief and no opportunity to demo them yet.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The KEFs aren’t terrible at all, they are limited by their size and thus bass extension but tonally they sound pretty similar to my ATC active 50’s.
Keith

Top Bottom