• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC, Dutch&Dutch, Grimm tomorrow

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn. That is a big statement... I wouldn't dare putting it like that. You do know people were convinced the earth was flat and the center of the universe...?

I will put it in proper wording: Anyone claiming to hear differences with ethernet switches or ethernet cables on functional hardware must show their statistical analysis and describe their blind testing regime - otherwise it is bullshit.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is indeed difficult. But we try. We tried some different mics (DPA 4015 are the best / most realistic), different angles, set-ups, etc. Close is better to capture the signature. But then you lose some air / imaging. To far and you get combfiltering. I think we need two set-ups: one for 'room-feel' and one for headphones.

I'm not sure if I will stay on this forum / thread. I don't feel welcome to be honest. I don't get the critisism about beïng 'bought' by brands and advertisers. I actually hurts, because I fight for honest reviews. And it has cost me... a lot. They don't call me the 'enfent terrible of the audio-industry' for nothing. Alpha is a pain in the ass for a lot of brands because we actually try to be transparent.

And how are we bought if we invest in DPA-mics, 4 VERY expensive camera's and people that help out? Just to deliver a live-test in which people can judge for themselves? FOR FREE.

Brands actually don't like these test, because they don't have control. It's live... and there is no filter.

Next we try to set-up is high-end streamers.

I hope you stay and do blind listening tests. That would be very welcome.

amper42

Major Contributor
It's really hard to make any conclusion via web music. When I play Fugue in G minor (Arr. for Jazz Trio from Fugue in G minor, BWV 578) by the Jacques Loussier Trio, it sounds 100% better just on my MBP speakers with Qobuz. lol

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Probably the microphone can not capture the other two right the SCM 40 is very balanced and tight.Not bassy at all.

DSJR

Major Contributor
40A's used domestically don't have too much bass (ATC CD/preamp used to drive them) although they're not as lean or mid-projected as the 19A floorstanders are in comparison (19A's fine for smaller rooms where you don't really want as much bass extension or 'power' - home theatre never took off the same in a UK 'high fidelity' sense I feel).

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 29551

It's really hard to make any conclusion via web music. When I play Fugue in G minor (Arr. for Jazz Trio from Fugue in G minor, BWV 578) by the Jacques Loussier Trio, it sounds 100% better just on my MBP speakers with Qobuz. lol
I believe Martijn, measured and corrected the 8Cs, in absolute terms the 8Cs have far greater extension.
Keith
Correct: Martijn did correct them. Not completely flat, but they were DSP'd for the room.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I always like the alpha audio tests, at least they try to make the test as honest as possible. Very interesting discussion at the end, their guest Tim Knol (a famous singer/songwriter in the Netherlands) prefers the ATC's although all agree that the ATC "colour" the sound. I think the other prefer the Dutch & Dutch because it sounds the most neutral. But have a look (listen yourself).
They never run proper tests though, so their input is super useless.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They never run proper tests though, so their input is super useless.
Well give them a chance to learn, Jaap said he was willing to learn.
That's a positive attitude.
And you can see that they are really enthousiasts with their hobby.
But i don't agree with a lot of their reviews.So when they start doing blind tests it's gonna be really intresting

rubenkemp

Well give them a chance to learn, Jaap said he was willing to learn.
That's a positive attitude.
And you can see that they are really enthousiasts with their hobby.
But i don't agree with a lot of their reviews.So when they start doing blind tests it's gonna be really intresting

Calling it a hobby might be the biggest insult yet, Jaap :facepalm:

Overall, the streams resemble some of us thinking out loud when listening to speakers, which is not very helpful for me personally.
As a tip for @Alpha Audio ''I think'' & ''Good'' should be used carefully when objective reporting is a goal of the livestream. I understand this can be part of a language barrier, and it is live after all, but well, you could consider doing this in your native tongue for fluency's sake (like with some of your other videos), then close captioning them for a separate upload.

At least we get to compare the three of them set up in 1 room.

Top Bottom