• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC, Dutch&Dutch, Grimm tomorrow

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Alpha Audio another top speaker comparison,

Keith

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I always like the alpha audio tests, at least they try to make the test as honest as possible. Very interesting discussion at the end, their guest Tim Knol (a famous singer/songwriter in the Netherlands) prefers the ATC's although all agree that the ATC "colour" the sound. I think the other prefer the Dutch & Dutch because it sounds the most neutral. But have a look (listen yourself).

Geert

Major Contributor
Is it just me, or are the microphones seriously off axis resulting in a sound that's not representative? Looks more than 30° to me.
IMG_20210328_141806.jpg

Geert

Major Contributor
To elaborate, take the D&D 8C as an example. I estimate the microphone angle is about 50°, resulting in about 5dB loss in high frequencies. And other speakers with a less controled directivity would probably sound very coloured.

D&D 8C:
SPL Horizontal.png

ATC SCM40v2:
atc_scm40_polar_horizontal.jpg

The Grimm's where toed in completely so in this case the microphones were much closer to on axis.

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
They mic was used for the youtube video not the review i think.I agree totally about what they said about the SCM40 that is what i observed in comparison with the SCM50. Also interesting they liked the midrange of the ATC better despite the advanced technology of the others.

Geert

Major Contributor
They mic was used for the youtube video not the review i think.
That's obvious. But the whole idea of this setup is to allow the Youtube audience to experience what's going on in the studio, and they comment on the sound of the speakers in the live chat. Even better, in the previous live stream they were commenting live about the sound of ethernet switches.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
That's obvious. But the whole idea of this setup is to allow the Youtube audience to experience what's going on in the studio, and they comment on the sound of the speakers in the live chat. Even better, in the previous live stream they were commenting live about the sound of ethernet switches.
I heard differences even from my smartphone speaker . Ethernet switches??? i thought they were serious

DSJR

Major Contributor
As an ex-dealer from the dark side of the UK in the 80's when single (pair) speaker dems were routine at any price point, I wince looking at that setup, with the non playing speakers seemingly at random over the space and potentially too close to the playing pair as well as the listeners. Out of those three, I'd be surprised how the ATC 40A's come in at this, as they're the cheapest I think and using domestic thinking in their construction - I doubt 40A's would ever find their way into studios and I don't even know if the SL magnet system is used on the bass driver...

All good fun for you lot, so excuse this old fart's opinion here...

P.S. Ah, someone else who prefers a tiny bit of background 'noise' to help the ear's perception.

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert

diddley

Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 29551

I always like the alpha audio tests, at least they try to make the test as honest as possible. Very interesting discussion at the end, their guest Tim Knol (a famous singer/songwriter in the Netherlands) prefers the ATC's although all agree that the ATC "colour" the sound. I think the other prefer the Dutch & Dutch because it sounds the most neutral. But have a look (listen yourself).

Thanks for the comment. We indeed try to make reviews as honest as possible. That is why we do 'sample tests' and Live reviews like these. Is it perfect? No... but we try to improve every time.

We recently bought the DPA4015A's. These are extremely accurate on- and off-axis. The way we place the mics is shown in the video: we use pink noise with one channel out-of-phase. that way we can check - with the headphones - what is canceled. The less I hear on the headphones, the better.

The placement in the video was tested the day before. If we place the mics more backwards, we get loads of combfiltering. It sound horrible. When we give the speakers more toe-in, the presentation on the listening position is not right. We checked the results in the recording room and it is absolutely not as bad as you would think. I could definately hear the characteristics of each speaker.

But like I said: is it perfect... no... but we try to keep improving each stream.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
How did you come to that conclusion?
I can't help thinking you are making advertisement if you say you can hear difference in ethernet switches.I can't even tell when i experiment with inserting noise with music playing. Such claims are not serious in my opinion try to avoid such comparisons please. I like what you did and i agree with your view with the speaker i have heard.

D

Deleted member 29551

https://alpha-audio.net/2021/01/live-switch-test-cisco-paul-pang-nuprime-english-electric-sotm/
Needless to say that the most expensive one, the Paul Pang Quad (4 times reclocked), 2499 Euro, is the winner.
That is what happens if you listen with your eyes.

Hi Vincent,

I wonder why you keep reading and commenting on Alpha Audio if you don't trust our reviews. We don't force you to read them. Nor do we force you to watch the video's. The Netherlands is a free country.

D

Deleted member 29551

I can't help thinking you are making advertisement if you say you can hear difference in ethernet switches.I can't even tell when i experiment with inserting noise with music playing. Such claims are not serious in my opinion try to avoid such comparisons please. I like what you did and i agree with your view with the speaker i have heard.

Thanks for the feedback. I try to keep an open mind. All the switches tested in that video are being thouroughly measured at this moment. That way we try to mix listening reviews with objective measurements.

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
you don't trust our reviews.
it is not a matter of trust or distrust.
It is simply a matter of a sighted "test" says much about the perception of the listener and very little about the device under test.
Something we know for more than a century, be it N-rays or Kluge Hans.
No reason to mistrust your perception and no reason either to trust on it as a objective reference.
That is inherent to sighted "testing".

diddley

Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback. I try to keep an open mind. All the switches tested in that video are being thouroughly measured at this moment. That way we try to mix listening reviews with objective measurements.
I would tend to say that alpha is more subjective then objective.
The streams are fun to watch.
But the website is a bit like the more expensive the better.here at ASR it's not through torough measurements.
So i think Alpha Audio is missing alot of potentiele audience by being subjective.
I visit your site once twice a month and it strikes me that you really focus on expensive gear without measurements. it seems like advertorial.

Top Bottom