• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC active 50’s Yew !

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is, Ben ( Lilly) of ATC told me that they prototype crossovers using a MiniDSP digital box, but couldn’t ever release a loudspeaker with a digital crossover, PSI have taken to placing ‘analogue only’ stickers on their speakers, that doesn’t make them more attractive to me.
Keiht

Vintage57

Forum Donor
That’s a genuine dilemma for these legacy companies. That and they end up making things just to keep going rather than to move on design and performance .

Listening to Def Lepard on Tidal at 105db (Radio Shack meter on fast max) I’m very happy with my ATC SCM 150ASL’s ability to play loud clean and literally distortion free. Listening position is 2.5 meters.

I would challenge the new DSP configured stand-mounts to sound better.

ATC makes a very good product and they apparently have the spirit of Christmas too.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
105dB at 2.5 metres you won’t be listening to it for very much longer.
Keith

Vintage57

Forum Donor
They have done that effortlessly for over 12 years

My ears give up before they do

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Listening to Def Lepard on Tidal at 105db (Radio Shack meter on fast max) I’m very happy with my ATC SCM 150ASL’s ability to play loud clean and literally distortion free. Listening position is 2.5 meters.

I would challenge the new DSP configured stand-mounts to sound better.

ATC makes a very good product and they apparently have the spirit of Christmas too.
Def Lepard at 105db , is it the season for self loathing..

Oscar Wilde

Vintage57

Forum Donor

Vintage57

Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
How would you know you can no longer hear them, recommended listening at 105dB is just a few minutes per day.
Keith

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always wanted their active line of speakers (I have the ATC SCM19 & SCM7) but their pricing to me is a little too "high end" :(

Given the number of recording studios that use ATCs (or so they say), I figured I'd hear the music close to how it was mastered, or something like that.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I won’t get into this with you.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Soffit mounted in a quarter of a million pound studio they sounded great.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I've always wanted their active line of speakers (I have the ATC SCM19 & SCM7) but their pricing to me is a little too "high end" :(

Given the number of recording studios that use ATCs (or so they say), I figured I'd hear the music close to how it was mastered, or something like that.
I considered a pair as as @Vintage57 says they do play reliably loud and I’d got fed up with audiophile speakers crapping out. I heard some , was a bit lukewarm about the sound so left them behind.

No one here is saying they are rubbish, I’m not sure where the issue is tbh. If you fancy a pair being so reliable you can be confident buying second hand too. As Keith says they benefit from room treatment.

They are not hugely innovative but then nor are 90% of other speaker manufacturers.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I dont think you would have to a billionaire, they can’t modernise if ATC made a speaker like the Kii THREE it would make more or less the rest of its range redundant overnight and piss off its core customers.
Keith

That kind of thinking is the death spiral that leads to a dead company once the current customer base ages out of the work force.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It is, Ben ( Lilly) of ATC told me that they prototype crossovers using a MiniDSP digital box, but couldn’t ever release a loudspeaker with a digital crossover, PSI have taken to placing ‘analogue only’ stickers on their speakers, that doesn’t make them more attractive to me.
Keiht

If using a miniDSP for crossover design is what passes for modern loudspeaker design at ATC, that's super sad.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Keiht

I support the concept of conducting R&D digitally with the findings then implemented in the analog domain. I would not want conversion in my loudspeakers/monitors.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I support the concept of conducting R&D digitally with the findings then implemented in the analog domain. I would not want conversion in my loudspeakers/monitors.

May I ask why, given the advantages that DSP crossovers bring relative to analog?

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Yes, of course! I advocate the use of digital tools, e.g., DSP, to achieve a design/engineering objective, but would then want that/those objective(s) implemented using analog measures. I would think the digital tools/software would enable one to work more rapidly.

Pertaining to why I would NOT desire a DSP XO or AD/DA conversion in a loudspeaker: I would want my choice of ADDA conversion, e.g., let's say I favor native DSD256 as promulgated by Merging Technologies, and MOST importantly -- I would absolutely require an ALL analog signal chain option!

Would you mind articulating the DSP advantages that cannot be achieved via analog means and methods?

Top Bottom