• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC 11 and AE 1 classic amp?

momonone

Hi all, i recently need 2 amp (different room) for AE1 Classic and ATC 11 , i don really have much to spend, maybe under 1k usd? both room around 120 sq ft...

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
anyone can help?
Do you just been a power amp for each, meaning you have a preamp already? If so the Topping PA5 good for a small room. The ATC are lower on the sensitivity side at 85db, and a 6ohm average through must of the frequency but shouldn't be an issue. Couldn't find any review info of the Classic.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
ATC cones aren't the lightest, they're generally very tautly suspended and they really do seem to need the extra 'push' of a higher powered amp. Having said that, I did hear a pair of 11's Naim driven to fair domestic volume levels and smaller Naim amps are to me, hard clippers which HURT when pushed too far.. The 11 has a 'flatter' bass to mid balance than the 19 or 20 generally, so not as anaemic sounding if under-driven.

OP
momonone

momonone

Do you just been a power amp for each, meaning you have a preamp already? If so the Topping PA5 good for a small room. The ATC are lower on the sensitivity side at 85db, and a 6ohm average through must of the frequency but shouldn't be an issue. Couldn't find any review info of the Classic.
ya.. i have 2 dac, K9pro ess and Ares II so no prob for preamp.. u mean PA5 can drive ATC 11?

Last edited:

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ya.. i 2 dac, K9pro ess and Ares II so no prob for preamp.. u mean PA5 can drive ATC 11?
In a small room sitting 3 meters away you need 45 watts and 3db headroom.
Screenshot_20220515-063929_Chrome.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor
Take this so you do not have to think about whether you have enough power::)

Amir:
"As such, I can recommend the A800 as an everyday amplifier."

That A800 actually has more power than you need per se, but you can still think of that amplifier, as an alternative. :)

Edit:
A800, not as good SINAD (77), as Topping PA5 (106), which was mentioned by Everett T, but then reality comes in to pay. What is audible, regarding SINAD?:)

Last edited:
OP
momonone

momonone

ATC cones aren't the lightest, they're generally very tautly suspended and they really do seem to need the extra 'push' of a higher powered amp. Having said that, I did hear a pair of 11's Naim driven to fair domestic volume levels and smaller Naim amps are to me, hard clippers which HURT when pushed too far.. The 11 has a 'flatter' bass to mid balance than the 19 or 20 generally, so not as anaemic sounding if under-driven.
may i ask what naim amp u talking about? thanks for the reply =)

DSJR

Major Contributor
may i ask what naim amp u talking about? thanks for the reply =)
The smaller and streaming models primarily. The other larger power amps have a touch more headroom even if the power per channel doesn't seem much greater. If you own a Naim amp and a well recorded singer doesn't make you wince when they 'sing out,' then you've nowt to worry about ;) Maybe in a dem situation I like to turn it up a bit...

OP
momonone

momonone

Take this so you do not have to think about whether you have enough power::)

Amir:
"As such, I can recommend the A800 as an everyday amplifier."

That A800 actually has more power than you need per se, but you can still think of that amplifier, as an alternative. :)

Edit:
A800, not as good SINAD (77), as Topping PA5 (106), which was mentioned by Everett T, but then reality comes in to pay. What is audible, regarding SINAD?:)
thx man i will take look on that amp.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of SINAD in amplifiers (which are only part of the chain).

Question: Add a little more in the distortion chain, via a miniDSP, but then get the opportunity to fix FR?
(for me and most others say yes to miniDSP, sensible FR weighs much heavier than adding a little more distortion ... which is probably still not audible .... but for safety's sake EQ in the digital world). :)

How do you balance the one and the other?

.... then we have not even arrived at the big elephant in the listening room .... distortion regarding speakers and it can, unfortunately, be audible. How come you can hear two pairs of different speakers that sound ok on lower volume but when you turn up the volume, a pair sounds worse? Distortion is not just an academic issue i that case. You can hear it.

Although amplifier clipping sounds damn much worse. Test yourself with your mobile / tablet. Always interesting to test, put into practice what you read about theoretically. Distortion, clipping, noise and so on.
(there are different opinions, what it depends on. I believe in the amplifier ... in any case, anyone can test it themselves)

Last edited:
Top Bottom