• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Asus Xonar U7 MKII now working on Mac

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Okto dac8 Pro that I was using as an active XO was destroyed by a power surge in my home just over a week ago. In a scramble to try to get music going in my studio again I remembered I had one of these cards laying around for my old Windows machine so I plugged it into my M1 Mac Mini on a whim. There were never any drivers for Mac in the past so I was surprised when this thing showed up in my System Profile as well as Audio Midi Setup natively with up to 8 channels of 24bit and up to 192kHz sample rate!

It never showed up as a recognized device on my old intel Mac Mini so maybe Apple Silicon has something to do with it or perhaps Big Sur OS enabled it. I've no idea but this might be useful information for others.

I'm still screwed because all my amps are balanced now but perhaps one step closer to working sound.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s class 2 USB audio device. It’s bound to work with every Mac for at least the last 10 years.

OP
DWPress

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not as an 8 channel device, I wouldn't have posted info here otherwise. Google is your friend.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not as an 8 channel device, I wouldn't have posted info here otherwise. Google is your friend.
Might have been a special driver quirk then that got implemented, or did you ever do a firmware update on the Asus?

OP
DWPress

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No firmware update or anything. Initially when these things were released Asus falsely claimed they had Mac drivers and it was a bit of a let down when they were never made available or released.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But you did not install any now either, did you?

OP
DWPress

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just plugged it in, no driver, nothing else was done. I can say for certain that it did not work in this way on a 2012 Mac Mini running Mojave.

Top Bottom