• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASUS AI Noise-Canceling Mic Adapter Review

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I actually inquired about such a product a few years ago on ASR. This is not a good showing. Yet, the processing power available even in the cheapest laptops and cloud-based AI have the potential to provide superior noise reduction.
I wonder if the market is there for such.

jurop

Forum Donor
Sorry for polluting the thread but I couldn't resist. I have a couple of those trees as well and this is one of the best period of the year thanks to those plums! Unfortunately, this one had been a bad season so very little fruits to be picked. Oh, enough for having indigestion if you eat all of them at the same time, anyway!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for polluting the thread but I couldn't resist. I have a couple of those trees as well and this is one of the best period of the year thanks to those plums! Unfortunately, this one had been a bad season so very little fruits to be picked. Oh, enough for having indigestion if you eat all of them at the same time, anyway!
Plumb pastry is delicious. :D

rofo

One of my favourite ways to to deal with the plumbs is to bag then and put then in the freezer. Pull them out frozen when you want, a little water in a saucepan at low temp. until soft or a little mushy. You get some nice juice too.

Honken

Well... that is disappointing. As someone who is suffering from my coworkers clattering away at their keyboards during meetings I wish that more microphones had noise reduction built in (if it was working properly that is).

I really don't understand why the big software players (Microsoft with their Teams, Zoom, etc.) don't take this issue more seriously (on MacOS I don't think Teams even offers the very basic noise reduction tech from its Windows counterpart). With the exception of Google I guess, who takes this seriously enough to charge money for their cloud magic through heftier license fees. This issue has been driving me nuts over the past year and a half, at this point I loathe my co-workers who use Macs because I can hear the fans of their laptops more clearly than I can hear them.

To make things even more frustrating, gaming VOIP have had this functionality in place for years. RNNoise from Xiph and Krisp.ai can both be used without a GPU from nVidia (a bit rare in enterprise settings where iGPUs reign dominant), I wish more used these.

Marketing works though, there are a lot of my colleagues who have bought Logitech webcams because they supposedly has noise suppression built in. I can tell from experience that this tech either doesn't work, or at least works very poorly. They don't seem to distort voices however.

Personally, I'm using an insensitive dynamic microphone from Samson (the Q2U) and when combined with RNNoise I don't think my colleagues would know even if the fire alarm would go off in my apartment.

respice finem

Major Contributor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... that is disappointing. As someone who is suffering from my coworkers clattering away at their keyboards during meetings I wish that more microphones had noise reduction built in (if it was working properly that is).

I really don't understand why the big software players (Microsoft with their Teams, Zoom, etc.) don't take this issue more seriously (on MacOS I don't think Teams even offers the very basic noise reduction tech from its Windows counterpart). With the exception of Google I guess, who takes this seriously enough to charge money for their cloud magic through heftier license fees. This issue has been driving me nuts over the past year and a half, at this point I loathe my co-workers who use Macs because I can hear the fans of their laptops more clearly than I can hear them.

To make things even more frustrating, gaming VOIP have had this functionality in place for years. RNNoise from Xiph and Krisp.ai can both be used without a GPU from nVidia (a bit rare in enterprise settings where iGPUs reign dominant), I wish more used these.

Marketing works though, there are a lot of my colleagues who have bought Logitech webcams because they supposedly has noise suppression built in. I can tell from experience that this tech either doesn't work, or at least works very poorly. They don't seem to distort voices however.

Personally, I'm using an insensitive dynamic microphone from Samson (the Q2U) and when combined with RNNoise I don't think my colleagues would know even if the fire alarm would go off in my apartment.
Free Plug for Poly.

In my line of business (IT Integration) . We have used Poly Video conferencing soundbars and accessories (P15, X30, Sync 20, etc. These ) do an incredible job on suppressing extraneous noise, even loud ones, during video calls...

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I came for hungry for the review but left craving for some purple fruit

1631389727238.png

Saidera

Now I want to see the Apple dongle's mono microphone capability tested. And eat some pickled plums or plumbs. Fruit trees forever!

NoteMakoti

Inshallah we will be able to just buy RTX cards soon.

Headchef

Been busy with gardening and work around the house. Picked 20+ pounds of Italian plumbs from old trees on our property when we bought it:
View attachment 152621

They are so wonderful. We eat them fresh but then also dehydrate them and eat them throughout the year until the next season comes. I am so appreciative to whoever planted this tree in this property. We get all this wonderful fruit with no effort on our part. Please plant a fruit tree for yourself and future generations if you own your own home. You will make someone like me happy years from now!

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/[/QUOTE]

I can highly recommend that you make a tarte tatin with those!

gardenpaths

This device works with cell phones, and is an easy way to add noise cancelling to the basic, stock phone call function. I don't know enough about android or iOS to know if there are ways to use other noise cancelling inside of phone calls, but this is an easy plug and play way to add it if you also have a wired headset. I work in a small, echoey office, and I've tried many different headsets, including ones that advertise that they have passive noise cancellation, and this has worked better (with the Sennheiser PC38X) than anything else at removing extraneous noises. When I'm at home, I can even wash dishes or other chores while on the phone and the person on the other end wouldn't be bothered by the noise, whereas previously my headset picked up too much. While the phone call's audio quality takes a hit, it allows me to use my phone hands-free and more comfortably than before. After having tried many different headsets and getting many different complaints about echoes and other noises, for cellphone calls I've found that adding this dongle to my phone has resulted people telling me that they can hear me with the fewest distractions. It definitely has flaws - the directions are poor, other reviews online said some headsets apparently necessitate an additional adapter, people on both ends think it sounds better when my headset is plugged in directly to my phone (if there aren't echoes), and I don't bother using it on a computer - but in some situations its active noise cancellation does greatly improve the phone call.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Cool it works, but darn makes him sound really weird.
It's actually not bad at all (at least for any remotely sane background noise level), and that's coming from someone who hates few things more than the "underwater" kind of warbling generated by conventional noise reduction turned up too high (ugh!). Things do kinda fall apart in the "all things" test, but honestly if you had this amount of background noise to contend with you'd be wearing a headset with the microphone basically right at your mouth instead of being like 4" off from a dynamic.

You are still best advised to fix basic microphone placement and type first, but an algorithm as good as RTX Voice does give you a fair bit of extra leeway.

Top Bottom