• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASRC, DACs, analog stage and listening

envydd

Forum Donor
Most of my music is on CDs and I increasingly use my Chromecast audio to listen (ok I am not an audiophile if that helps!). Does ASRC (async sample rate conversion) help and what would be a good inexpensive DAC with ASRC which can also act as a preamp. One option seems to be a Teac UD501/503/NT503

I see ESS cranking out chips (and topping et al cranking out DACs) at an amazing pace with built in head amps while a bunch of brands selling DACs with older chips with a lot of discrete circuitry (and better op amps). What matters sonically? I am not an audio engineer and cannot listen to a lot of DACs, hence curious.

Although my DSP knowledge is a little rusty, I am wondering what constitutes a good DAC beyond perfect charts. Do our ears find perfect charts musical or does it consider a bunch of nth-harmonic musical?

FWIW I have a few ESS DACs e.g. IDEA, DA3 (for my hifiman 400i) and a 200W NuPrime integrated amp (for my LS50 monitor). Curious why folks have not tested the NuPrime DACs here. Also my 1st post here!

Top Bottom