• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Target Curve?

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1645790150291.png

ADU

Major Contributor
Looks like ASR is still using Harman's 2018 over-ear target, or something pretty close to it, for most of its headphone reviews.

EX_z4f1U8AA8V6_

AudioSQ

It was a joke.. That curve always makes me chuckle. I wanted to see if the bass was still flat when I juiced it up a bit. I was happy to see it was, but I obviously never listen to the bass 35db hot.

Reactions: ADU

ADU

Major Contributor
It was a joke.. That curve always makes me chuckle. I wanted to see if the bass was still flat when I juiced it up a bit. I was happy to see it was, but I obviously never listen to the bass 35db hot.

I was more concerned about the lack of ear gain. ;)

AudioSQ

Looks like a pair of elac bookshelves crossed to 8x 18" dayton ultimaxes
I think it was a pair of MTMs, 1 18" and 9 cheap 12"s, but I'm not 100% what I had in the system when I measured that.

Last edited:

Phoney

I don't know if it's just for sensitive listeners, but for me personally I notice that Harman curve sounds much more shouty with closed back headphones. I don't mind the bass, but the frequncies at higher mids and treble does introduce more fatigue for me on closed backs, and I usually prefer around 3 db less than harman at 2.000hz and above. With open backs I usually just put 1 db less around 1000-2000hz, and keep everything else around the same as harman.

ADU

Major Contributor
I don't know if it's just for sensitive listeners, but for me personally I notice that Harman curve sounds much more shouty with closed back headphones. I don't mind the bass, but the frequncies at higher mids and treble does introduce more fatigue for me on closed backs, and I usually prefer around 3 db less than harman at 2.000hz and above. With open backs I usually just put 1 db less around 1000-2000hz, and keep everything else around the same as harman.

The Harman target has a number of shortcomings in terms of achieving an accurate (and also pleasing) sound in my opinion. So I understand where you are coming from on this, Thoer. And I use a variety of other references for the adjustments on my headphones, including the frequency responses of other headphones, and my own listening tests.

Last edited:

Phoney

The Harman target has a number of shortcomings in terms of achieving an accurate (and also pleasing) sound in my opinion. So I understand where you are coming from on this Thoer. And use a variety of other references for the adjustments on my headphones, including the frequency responses of other headphones, and my own listening tests.
I agree, I do the same. Using harman as a starting point, then adjust from there. I also tend to eq each headphone differently and in my opinion using the oratory eqs often have different results with every headphone that I have tried. Just noticed that in general I find the oratory eqs to be way too sharp with closed backs, while they seem fine to me with open backs.

Top Bottom