• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR speaker (and electronics) review - is it really objective?

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In case the context was unclear, I meant to exclude myself from the statement you quoted. No criticism of anyone's floor-standers was intended, least of all my own. No hard against the wall shenanigans either (they go where the room model and the measurements tell me, and aim where my ear/brain reckons),

Right, competently executed conventional floorstander rigs and/or with the usual shenanigans can sound pretty frickin sublime and intimidating in a good way. There is no doubt of that.

But as the only means for awesome fidelity in the living room? Give me a break.

It’s about time (for the industry) to marginalize the old coots and audiophilia (phools and snobs).

:oops:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Right, competently executed conventional floorstander rigs and/or with the usual shenanigans can sound pretty frickin sublime and intimidating in a good way. There is no doubt of that.

It’s about time (for the industry) to marginalize the old coots and audiophilia (phools and snobs).

Who you calling “Old Coots” and “audiophillia phools and snobs” ? One should be very specific when throwing Shade, it might land on an unintended target :oops:

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
5hc7ul.jpg
This was funny. So creative!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/good-to-be-back.25169/

redshift

Who you calling “Old Coots” and “audiophillia phools and snobs” ? One should be very specific when throwing Shade, it might land on an unintended target :oops:

Perhaps that is all of us to a lesser or greater extent?

Last edited:

gags11

Forum Donor
Some may have mentioned this, look at the measurements and make a judgement yourself. I personally do not read any of the subjective comments, I just look at Amir’s graphs.

Blaspheme

Counterpoints are good, but on't attribute that view to me.

redshift

Counterpoints are good, but on't attribute that view to me.

It was rhetorical. I’m shit with my English since it is not my mother tongue.

Apply liberal amounts of filtering and err on the side of some comedy and drama. :rolleyes:

Blaspheme

I didn't take offence, just issued a clarification. Also, your English is much better than my Swedish. :)

Last edited:

redshift

Your English is much better than my Swedish. :)

I bet you didn’t study Swedish in school. If you would have, I’m sure you would understand my Swedish is just plain bad, however not terrible as my english. Just wait until you hear my swenglish. Short intro below, not by me however.

Blaspheme

Helpful guide, thank you.

Not all of those are mistakes. Often we don't go to work because of a bad influence. But we also call that 'flu (where the correct designation is hangover, but the truth doesn't help anyone).

redshift

Helpful guide, thank you.

Not all of those are mistakes. Often we don't go to work because of a bad influence. But we also call that 'flu (where the correct designation is hangover, but the truth doesn't help anyone).

These cultural and lingual idiosyncrasies. That’s why it is so fun to work with foreigners.

With Brits and Americans it is a humbling reminder of being a non native speaker. With Poles, Germans and the former east bloc countries, it’s just hilarious. (Let’s not mention the French to avoid a horrific cultural clash) :cool:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I resemble that remark.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet you didn’t study Swedish in school. If you would have, I’m sure you would understand my Swedish is just plain bad, however not terrible as my english. Just wait until you hear my Swenglish.

If you speak more than 4 languages, you're either a diplomat or African (or both).

If you speak three languages, you're trilingual, Belgian or Swiss.

Two languages makes you bilingual.

If you speak one language, you're probably American.

As a younger man, living in Taiwan I proudly ordered my coffee at a newly opened McDonald's, with milk.

The 17 year old clerk flushed bright red, scurried to the back and laughter ensued as the order was retold.

Eventually, the manager stepped to the front and asked how he could be of service (All in impeccable received pronunciation, The Queen's English. )

My order complete, he explained - with a straight face that there were modifiers in Common Mandarin for milk, specifying the source.

What I wanted was milk, from a cow.

What I ordered was milk, from my Mommy.

redshift

If you speak more than 4 languages, you're either a diplomat or African (or both).

If you speak three languages, you're trilingual, Belgian or Swiss.

Two languages makes you bilingual.

If you speak one language, you're probably American.

As a younger man, living in Taiwan I proudly ordered my coffee at a newly opened McDonald's, with milk.

The 17 year old clerk flushed bright red, scurried to the back and laughter ensued as the order was retold.

Eventually, the manager stepped to the front and asked how he could be of service (All in impeccable received pronunciation, The Queen's English. )

My order complete, he explained - with a straight face that there were modifiers in Common Mandarin for milk, specifying the source.

What I wanted was milk, from a cow.

What I ordered was milk, from my Mommy.

LOL. :D

Re: How the embarrassment and drama turned into comedy gold a few years down the line.

I’ve never been to Taiwan, would love to though. I’m imagining it to be what China should have become, but didn’t.

I know some crusty Finnish as well, so I’m approximate bilingual if you sum up my proficiencies in Swedish, English and Finnish.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

YSC

Major Contributor
I bet you didn’t study Swedish in school. If you would have, I’m sure you would understand my Swedish is just plain bad, however not terrible as my english. Just wait until you hear my swenglish. Short intro below, not by me however.

Meanwhile I just focused on something else than the swenglish

YSC

Major Contributor

hum~ Trouble is, those are the ones who are willing to spend a fortune out of their not so full bank account for sound quality.

Nice speaker driver and displacement cannot be replaced by say DSP or active EQing in some smark lifestyle products, and small ones don't produce good sound at SPL able to fill a living room. if you want nice speaker components designed into some furniture or painting like the IKEA sonos one and able to active adapt to a room with decent SPL and bass extension... yea surely it can be done, but I doubt only the tech giant founders alike would like to pay for the cost of such things for geeks in any hobby we likely will be enjoying playing around and optimizing anything to achieve some better result and not put some smart stuffs and let it do itself.

Another hindering factor is longevity of a product, when even active speakers are always questioned with it's long term reliability and serviceability (Since I think most ppl won't think decent audio products are dirt cheap and upgrade like a phone or so), those smart speakers are even more doubtful

Top Bottom