• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm excited to announce the re-launch of the ASR Review & Measurement Dashboards!

Audio Electronics Review & Measurements Index
Speaker Review & Measurements Index
Headphone Review & Measurements Index

Building off of the previous work by the ASR data team, the new Dashboards have a much improved user experience, including:
  • Vastly improved performance & responsiveness.
  • The ability to sort columns ascending or descending, & and to zoom in on charts using sliders.
  • A brand new Headphone Frequency Response chart to compare the FR among headphones and against the ASR Reference curve.
How to Use
  • The links have a permanent location under the Review Index tab:
1623772437258.png

• Navigate to Index, Rankings & Analysis dashboards by clicking the boxes in the top left corner:
1623699986808.png

• Use filters by clicking anywhere within the white bar, and a drop-down list will appear. Users can Search, Select All, or click check-boxes to filter. Click the eraser mark to clear your selection (see red arrow):
Filters.png

• Use sliders for continuous variables to set minimum and maximum values. Users can also enter in a desired range by typing inside the rectangular boxes:
1623700547255.png

• Click the column headers to sort ascending or descending. A chevron pointed down indicates descending, & a chevron pointed up indicates ascending:
1623700707925.png

• Underlined entries in the tables indicate hyperlinks to the product page (Model), or the ASR review (Review Date). Clicking the link will launch the web page from your browser. For the tables in the Rankings dashboard, clicking the Metric Value for Electronics, or the Pref Score for Speakers will launch the ASR review page.
1623703412289.png

1623772906736.png
1623772969735.png

• Chart sliders can be used to zoom in on a specific section of a visual:
1623701025874.png

• Users can toggle color-blind friendly options using the button in the top right where applicable:
1623701116013.png

F.A.Q.
How often does the data refresh?

The data team extracts relevant data points from ASR reviews and enters them into a database. The version of the database these dashboards point to is refreshed each night between 4:30AM-5:00AM CST.

Are all of the reviews on ASR available in the dashboards?
As of 6/14/21, there is a backlog of ~100 reviews to be entered into the database. The data team is working to become up to date with reviews as quickly as possible.

What software was used to create and publish the dashboards?
The dashboards were built with Microsoft Power BI and embedded on ASR with their Publish to Web feature.

Can I export data from the dashboards?
Microsoft Publish to Web does not support any kind of data export, however, the data team is working on a process to make the underlying data available.

I have a question/comment/suggestion regarding the dashboards. Where should I post it?
Please reply to this thread, and please be specific as possible.

What to look forward to
  • Reviews appearing in the dashboards less than 24 hours after they are posted on ASR by Amir.
  • A dashboard dedicated to the subwoofer data collected and maintained by @sweetchaos.
  • Accessibility to the underlying dashboard data for users that desire additional analysis.
  • Detailed descriptions of the data terms.
Current list of known issues/bugs
  • ASR Reference line will shrink if too many headphones are selected on the Headphone Frequency Response dashboard.
  • Power BI line charts do not support conditional formatting out of the box, so we do not have a color blind option for the Headphone FR chart.

We need your help with the data entry backlog! Please PM @pozz if you can volunteer your time.

A big thanks to @pozz, @RickSanchez, @P_M, @amirm, and the rest of the data team for their help with the re-launch.

Attachments

• 1623699780405.png
    1623699780405.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 326
  • 1623772832189.png
    1623772832189.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 1623772891697.png
    1623772891697.png
    8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazing work. :D
This is a huge improvement over the previously used Tableau dashboards, which had a lot of bugs.

Is there a monthly cost of using PowerBI and publishing to web, like you're doing?
Power BI Pro is $9.99/month per user (we only have 1 user), and Publish to Web is free. Power BI Desktop is free as well.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Power BI Pro is $9.99/month per user (we only have 1 user), and Publish to Web is free. Power BI Desktop is free as well.
Yeh, I told my wife we need to cut out one visit to Burger King a month to make up for this. She is none too happy about it....

oversky

Some JBL speaker links to official website do not work.
JBL split product lines and move them to JBL Pro.

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have a process to update existing data, but are focused on the backlog right now. Are you able to volunteer to help with the data entry?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Which speakers exactly, if you don't mind?

We don't track which links are broken/work. Manufacturers change their sitemaps all the time, which makes archival aggravating, to say the least.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So few towers and subwoofers. :(

tower subwoofer.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
subwoofers
Unless Amir is going to do CEA-2010 measurements, I would suggest he don’t waste his time. Leave it to Erin (when he does have the time). Sadly towers are a logistics issue with it being more expensive to ship and Amir has to load them on the NFS and to his listening room. But yes, would like to see more towers.

oversky

Marc v E

Major Contributor
So few towers and subwoofers. :(

View attachment 135809
Yes, true. But I don't think we're missing out on much.

I noticed that many speakers have the highest distortion in the bass area, not so much in the treble and midrange.
Even the highest rating with a highish price like the Neumann dsp 310. I've only seen a tower speaker costing about 10000 that had a clean bass reproduction (Revel).

Then there's the room modes with bass, which apparently are best solved with subwoofers and equalisation.
Long story short I suspect a subwoofer is by far the cheapest way to achieve a full range response, which leaves the question: how much are you willing to pay to faithfully reproduce the rest of the frequency range?

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just had a look. Well done guys. Fast and easy. It might be a data entry error so forgive me but - Erins reviews dont make the cut? Is his Klippel NFS not the same as amirs NFS?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Just had a look. Well done guys. Fast and easy. It might be a data entry error so forgive me but - Erins reviews dont make the cut? Is his Klippel NFS not the same as amirs NFS?
The speaker reviews need the most work on the data end. There are a dozen or so in the index portion right now by Erin (change the Reviewer filter). We're going to add the rest soon.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why did no one tell me about Google Data Studio?
You can interact with it in-browser like with these (just not as nice looking; and can't figure out hyperlinks, so no links to reviews):
https://datastudio.google.com/reporting/43925b81-3aae-4975-bc12-fa7a0b689489/page/pDkPC
For scatterplot finally the data labels only show on hover as to not crowd it).

Only annoying aspect I don't think I can fix is "null" entries.
Can't have as much customization it seems without doing some coding, so the ranking chart now colors by power type, but is also filterable:
Speaker_Data.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom