• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The index hasn't been updated since juli 2021, actually.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I love this resource but it appears as though none of the work that Amir has put into reviews has made it into the Microsoft Power BI dashboards since October. Anything members can do to support this?

scrubb

Forum Donor
I too love this feature of the site, but often find myself using the search function because I know something has been reviewed but can't find it in the index. I can understand the lack of updates if it requires manual data entry. Is there some way this could be automated so that when Amir posts a review it goes into the index?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Frankly, there has to be another overhaul. The current arrangement does not work.
I too love this feature of the site, but often find myself using the search function because I know something has been reviewed but can't find it in the index. I can understand the lack of updates if it requires manual data entry. Is there some way this could be automated so that when Amir posts a review it goes into the index?
Automation is unlikely. The best would be if @amirm's work, where he inputs data into his personal sheets at home, can be consolidated with the general database here as well.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Frankly, there has to be another overhaul. The current arrangement does not work.

Automation is unlikely. The best would be if @amirm's work, where he inputs data into his personal sheets at home, can be consolidated with the general database here as well.
Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to make this happen? Do you need some data entry grunt help? Anything I can do to facilitate this?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to make this happen? Do you need some data entry grunt help? Anything I can do to facilitate this?
A lot of it is revisiting the backend structure again. It's a complex discussion.

The current structure fixed several problems we had in the old Tableau dashboards, most of all the performance. These PowerBI dashes are much quicker.

There are a few issues which this structure addressed but which have taken new form:
  • Volunteer consistency (time, interest, energy).
  • Workflow maintenance. Currently this relies on @Racheski always being there. He is the only one who really understands the structure and what to do if something goes wrong. Key person risk.
  • Data quality. Preventing tampering and ensuring accuracy makes things complicated. Right now troubleshooting is not straightforward.
  • Like I said above, making sure Amir can easily input data without changing his process too much.

I’m interested in helping out with the review index. I have decent data processing skills and have been say dreaming about how to pull together something like this. If ASR needs some help, eager to pitch in here instead of doing my own thing.

I’m new to the specific conversation around this. Is there anywhere specific I should look for documentation on the current process?

Are there any sensitivities I should be aware of WRT data usage, provenance, etc? For example, is it essential that the data be hosted on the ASR domain, or are third-party services ok? Is there any explicit license applied to Amir’s measurement data?

Are there any analytics available about usage of the current index? Specifically, which views and filters are used most? Which columns do people sort by?

Practically, what’s the easiest way to get a dump of the current database?

I see @pozz and @Racheski are leaders on the data side. Is there anyone else who should have default admin access to any data project? Who else is on the data team?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I’m interested in helping out with the review index. I have decent data processing skills and have been say dreaming about how to pull together something like this. If ASR needs some help, eager to pitch in here instead of doing my own thing.

I’m new to the specific conversation around this. Is there anywhere specific I should look for documentation on the current process?

Are there any sensitivities I should be aware of WRT data usage, provenance, etc? For example, is it essential that the data be hosted on the ASR domain, or are third-party services ok? Is there any explicit license applied to Amir’s measurement data?

Are there any analytics available about usage of the current index? Specifically, which views and filters are used most? Which columns do people sort by?

Practically, what’s the easiest way to get a dump of the current database?

I see @pozz and @Racheski are leaders on the data side. Is there anyone else who should have default admin access to any data project? Who else is on the data team?
All of the documentation is private at the moment.

I'm travelling right and will reply in detail later.

Thanks @ChalupaRiddems

Is there any explicit license applied to Amir’s measurement data?
I discovered that Amir thoughtfully includes a LICENSE.txt in his measurement files. Picking one at random, it applies the CC-by-nc-sa license. This allows the data to be re-hosted off site without further coordination with anyone, as long as it's non-commercial and the license carries forward.

The measurements provided here are copyrighted by Audio Science Review LLC.

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy
of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ or send
a letter to Creative Commons, PO Box 1866, Mountain View, CA 94042, USA.

Highlights of the license are:

You are free to:
- Share: copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt: remix, transform, and build upon the material

Under the following terms:
- Attribution: you must give appropriate credit (link and mention of Audio
Science Review, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/), provide a link to the
license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable
manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your
use.
- Non Commercial: you may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike: if you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must
distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- No additional restrictions: you may not apply legal terms or technological
measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

I'm trying to figure out if Erin's Audio Corner does anything similar. That's the only other place I'm aware of that's releasing Klippel NFS scans to the public. From what I can tell so far, Erin doesn't seem to post the raw data under any license.

It would be ideal to organize the data in a way that can accept measurements from various people using various methodologies. There are plenty of backyard response measurements that are better than nothing that would be neat to include as well. This certainly makes things more complex though.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I unfortunately can't participate this time. Apologies.

No worries, projects like this are a lot of work. I'm thinking carefully about how to make something that's easy to contribute to.

Vas

I'm excited to announce the re-launch of the ASR Review & Measurement Dashboards!

Audio Electronics Review & Measurements Index
Speaker Review & Measurements Index
Headphone Review & Measurements Index

Building off of the previous work by the ASR data team, the new Dashboards have a much improved user experience, including:
  • Vastly improved performance & responsiveness.
  • The ability to sort columns ascending or descending, & and to zoom in on charts using sliders.
  • A brand new Headphone Frequency Response chart to compare the FR among headphones and against the ASR Reference curve.
How to Use
  • The links have a permanent location under the Review Index tab:
View attachment 135789

• Navigate to Index, Rankings & Analysis dashboards by clicking the boxes in the top left corner:
View attachment 135577

• Use filters by clicking anywhere within the white bar, and a drop-down list will appear. Users can Search, Select All, or click check-boxes to filter. Click the eraser mark to clear your selection (see red arrow):
View attachment 135578

• Use sliders for continuous variables to set minimum and maximum values. Users can also enter in a desired range by typing inside the rectangular boxes:
View attachment 135579

• Click the column headers to sort ascending or descending. A chevron pointed down indicates descending, & a chevron pointed up indicates ascending:
View attachment 135583

• Underlined entries in the tables indicate hyperlinks to the product page (Model), or the ASR review (Review Date). Clicking the link will launch the web page from your browser. For the tables in the Rankings dashboard, clicking the Metric Value for Electronics, or the Pref Score for Speakers will launch the ASR review page.
View attachment 135590
View attachment 135793View attachment 135794

• Chart sliders can be used to zoom in on a specific section of a visual:
View attachment 135586

• Users can toggle color-blind friendly options using the button in the top right where applicable:
View attachment 135587

F.A.Q.
How often does the data refresh?

The data team extracts relevant data points from ASR reviews and enters them into a database. The version of the database these dashboards point to is refreshed each night between 4:30AM-5:00AM CST.

Are all of the reviews on ASR available in the dashboards?
As of 6/14/21, there is a backlog of ~100 reviews to be entered into the database. The data team is working to become up to date with reviews as quickly as possible.

What software was used to create and publish the dashboards?
The dashboards were built with Microsoft Power BI and embedded on ASR with their Publish to Web feature.

Can I export data from the dashboards?
Microsoft Publish to Web does not support any kind of data export, however, the data team is working on a process to make the underlying data available.

I have a question/comment/suggestion regarding the dashboards. Where should I post it?
Please reply to this thread, and please be specific as possible.

What to look forward to
  • Reviews appearing in the dashboards less than 24 hours after they are posted on ASR by Amir.
  • A dashboard dedicated to the subwoofer data collected and maintained by @sweetchaos.
  • Accessibility to the underlying dashboard data for users that desire additional analysis.
  • Detailed descriptions of the data terms.
Current list of known issues/bugs
  • ASR Reference line will shrink if too many headphones are selected on the Headphone Frequency Response dashboard.
  • Power BI line charts do not support conditional formatting out of the box, so we do not have a color blind option for the Headphone FR chart.

We need your help with the data entry backlog! Please PM @pozz if you can volunteer your time.

A big thanks to @pozz, @RickSanchez, @P_M, @amirm, and the rest of the data team for their help with the re-launch.
Hello, there is no more Index view?

1651878520003.png

CauliflowerEars

I unfortunately can't participate this time. Apologies.
I found this to be one of the best tools to navigate the complex world of audio equipment. Thank you!

Apologies if it’s been asked already, but: What would be needed to continue?
Wouldn’t it be enough to have the right data put into the database?

If so, Im sure the community would be up for doing that part. Maybe even the reviewers would put the relevant data wherever needed …

I sincerely hope this tool can continue on its amazing mission.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I found this to be one of the best tools to navigate the complex world of audio equipment. Thank you!

Apologies if it’s been asked already, but: What would be needed to continue?
Wouldn’t it be enough to have the right data put into the database?

If so, Im sure the community would be up for doing that part. Maybe even the reviewers would put the relevant data wherever needed …

I sincerely hope this tool can continue on its amazing mission.
I think whatever old index this thread had has been replaced: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/

CauliflowerEars

Top Bottom