• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Reference System: 200 wpc maximum performance

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASRniks, it’s time to take our hard-won knowledge (thanks to @amirm’s hard work!) and propose the best system under various constraints.

Other threads could seek the most cost-effective reference system with transparency, for example, or lower power levels.

This thread is for the following:

- maximum measured performance
- minimum of 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms, two channels minimum
- DAC
- Headphone amp
- Power amp
- Preamp to handle at least 3 analogue inputs

- Any combination of pieces to achieve the functionality above
- cables, interconnects, speakers, headphones not included
- No DIY or without proper customer service

If you were building a system as described above starting with a blank sheet of paper, what would you recommend and what would it cost?

Edited to clarify assignment.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is for the following:

- maximum measured performance
- minimum of 200 watts per channel, two channels minimum
- DAC
- Headphone amp
- Power amp
- Preamp to handle at least 3 analogue

My system almost suit (no analog input) and it is very simple:

- RME ADI-2 DAC
- Apollon AS1200

If you're looking for a decent looking/Endgame stack:

- Benchmark DAC3
- Benchmark HPA4
- Two Benchmark AHB2 bridged.

The end

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd probably by a Devialet 220 again. It's one analogue input short, but it has a phono stage, or two, to make up for it.

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're looking for a decent looking/Endgame stack:

- Benchmark DAC3
- Benchmark HPA4
- Two Benchmark AHB2 bridged.

The end
My math has that system at $11,100 at list price. No doubt it would sound terrific.

Looking forward to other ideas/proposals.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
My headphone system is simply the RME ADI-2 DAC for both D/A and amplification. If you really twisted my arm I could be convinced to add a dedicated headphone amp like the SMSL SP200 or Geshelli Archel2 Pro.

For my 2.1 channel I have (on order) the NAD C658 for room correction and a Benchmark ABH2 (which meets spec for 4 ohm speakers). Again if one wanted to chase those last few percentages of diminishing returns I’d add another ABH2.

If one did not care for room correction then the entire system (speaker and headphones) would simply consist of the RME ADI-2 and the Benchmark ABH2.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what’s the total system and cost?
Whatever the 220 costs in your country, plus speakers, plus speaker cable & plus the analogue and digital sources. And whatever the odd cable required to give you headphone out works out as. The Devialet will change price a lot from the EU to the US, etc, hifi always does, so any prices given don't translate to the rest of the world.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Due to constraints , I am all over the map ...

If I had the space, I would go with the Linkwitz 512.4 ... I like the thinking behind it. Many here consider it an endgame speaker system ...
I would go

Okto DAC8
DIY 8-channel amp with Hypex 200 wpc module
Done

I am on a search for a Geddes speaker, the no longer manufactured New Abbey, but the drivers are still in production... B&C drivers. If I find it the speaker pair, then ...
Okto DAC8
Diy 2-Channel Amp with PuriFi or Hypex Module 500 wpc...

If I don't find the Geddes or am not satisfy with the Linkwitz, then Revel Ultima 8 with
Okto DAC8
Diy 2-Channel Amp with PuriFi or Hypex Module 500 wpc...

Except for the Linkwitz , any speaker I get, will be helped with a trio of powered subwoofers...

The end

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My headphone system is simply the RME ADI-2 DAC for both D/A and amplification. If you really twisted my arm I could be convinced to add a dedicated headphone amp like the SMSL SP200 or Geshelli Archel2 Pro.

For my 2.1 channel I have (on order) the NAD C658 for room correction and a Benchmark ABH2 (which meets spec for 4 ohm speakers). Again if one wanted to chase those last few percentages of diminishing returns I’d add another ABH2.
Sounds pretty good. Are you winning on cost? You’d need 2 ABH2s to hit 200 wpc @ 8 ohms I reckon.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd take something close to what I have ...
  • RME ADI-2 PRO fs (because of the analog input) - € 1300
  • One Little Bear MC-103 PRO XLR switcher box (extension to get 3 analog inputs) - € 60
  • 2 x Neumann KH310 active three way speaker € 3500
  • 2 x Neumann KH750 DSP active sub - € 2200
  • A towel to bite into when fighting with the UI of the RME:p - 5
  • A bunch of XLR cables - don't pay more than € 10-15 per meter
That sums it up to € 7065 without cables (but including the towel). The RME offers 4 digital inputs (SPDIF coax, SPDIF Toslink, AES/EBU and USB) and 3 analog inputs (via the switcher) and a 5 band parametric EQ to handle bass modes below the Schrödinger frequency.

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • 2 x Neumann KH310 active three way speaker € 3500
  • 2 x Neumann KH750 DSP active sub - € 2200
  • A towel to bite into when fighting with the UI of the RME:p - 5.
Ooh, there’s a twist! Active speakers. What are the specs on those amps? Can they run with the big dogs?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Ooh, there’s a twist! Active speakers. What are the specs on those amps? Can they run with the big dogs?
See this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../performance-of-amps-in-active-speakers.9519/
Basically, no they're not state of the art amplifiers at all, but they're decent well designed chipamps from Ti or STMicro, mostly (I know Barefoot uses Hypex and some use ICEpower/Pascal). On the other hand, the benefits of active crossovers (be it analog or digital) and multi amplification vastly outweighs these amplifier differences; especially since you don't have to provide as much power since you don't have the loss of the passive crossover network (even more for 3 ways).

Vintage57

Forum Donor

Active is very viable alternativ. The KH 310’s put out 150/70/70 = 290W per channel.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
See this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../performance-of-amps-in-active-speakers.9519/
Basically, no they're not state of the art amplifiers at all, but they're decent well designed chipamps from Ti or STMicro, mostly (I know Barefoot uses Hypex and some use ICEpower/Pascal). On the other hand, the benefits of active crossovers (be it analog or digital) and multi amplification vastly outweighs these amplifier differences; especially since you don't have to provide as much power since you don't have the loss of the passive crossover network (even more for 3 ways).
Chances are that the current flagship KH420 uses the same amps as the KH310, just more of them.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I’m running something similar with the bass reflex version.

2x Neumann KH 420, 295/130/130 wpc
2x Neumann KH 805, 160 wpc

plenty of RMS to go around (1,430 wpc) but no DSP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom