• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Recommended Cartridges?

Jack Harrison

Well, by now you should realize that the quality in any audio gear, but particularly in transducers, does not increase linearly with increasing price. It is, unfortunately, anything but linear function ...

I agree the measurements for the latest AT MC crop is pathetic. But, back in their good past, they did have some really nice models ... - the one that might have dragged the remnants of those good days to present is AT 33 PTG II, which although out of production, can still be found with several vendors. And the latest incarnations of OC9 are also no slouches - please check the Hifinews review.

Shure M97xe - the less said about it, the better. For the trully pathetic performance offered by the last batch(es), it will never be missed.
Shure actually did 2-3 ( depending how one counts ) decent phono cartridges. But, they were what I call "semi-products" or "good kits to be finished at home". Only the V15IV ever reached more popularity, the others that were variations on the basic theme with much improvement are today next to unknown and are nearing unobtainium.
All the Shure V15s from the type III onwards were exceptional cartridges, along with the Ultra range, both in measurement and quality of sound and the tracking ability of their stylii, beryllium cantilevers, microline stylii, etc. they could compete with anything anyone is producing today, and still do, with a JICO stylus for instance.
As for the M97xe, it wasn’t a patch on the M97HE which preceded it, a different cartridge internally, and in the end Shure had terrible problems with quality control, but a good one was still a decent cartridge and usually sold for the same kind of price as the much less competent and cheap AT95e. I had both of them. Just before Shure stopped making them Expert Stylus Company in the UK were selling tested new M97xe carts with ruby cantilevers and paratrace stylii and they reckoned that turned them into a truly excellent cartridge in the V15 class. They didn’t have an axe to grind or a commercial reason for pushing them, they’re genuinely not that kind of company, with a long waiting list of work, and their modded M97xes sold out as quickly as they could produce them.
As for the M44/M55 it fully deserves its status as a legend and Jico have gone to the huge trouble of remanufacturing them because in so many ways they have actually proved irreplaceable.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I was wondering how much of a upgrade a AT VM750SH would be on my Technics SL1500C that is currently equipped with a Ortofon Red.

The DL103R looks really interesting but would require me buying a phono preamp as well.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
You may consider buying a Sony HA T10 inline step-up transformer , cheaper than a new RIAA. work perfectly with my AT 33PTGii, but check the Load the Denon requires

But why buy A Conical stylus in this price range?, Fool proof to set up , and last longer than an elliptical, but you get more inner groove distortion and cannot reproduce the top frequency without high distortion. We way not hear ithat depending on age… probably that is why it is popular.

The AT will probaly sound brighter than the Ortofon, see plots in the Measurent library thread, and listen to youtube examoles

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
You may consider buying a Sony HA T10 inline step-up transformer , cheaper than a new RIAA. work perfectly with my AT 33PTGii, but check the Load the Denon requires

But why buy A Conical stylus in this price range?, Fool proof to set up , and last longer than an elliptical, but you get more inner groove distortion and cannot reproduce the top frequency without high distortion. We way not hear ithat depending on age… probably that is why it is popular.

The AT will probaly sound brighter than the Ortofon, see plots in the Measurent library thread, and listen to youtube examoles

Well I’m really clueless when it comes to stylus shapes and cartridges. I just picked something that many people seem to use vs a ortofon black.

I might as well just get a ortofon blue stylus at first. But I think those AT cartridges might be nice down the road. ML or shibata is not important to me. This was just something in the price range I was considering:)

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
An elliptical last about 300hours, A conical 500, ML 1000, Shiabata/Line 800, according to Audio Technica, some sources say even less for all the above..
A conical stylus can never read the inner groves properly, and gives much higher distortion In general, The others are better at everything but need a correct alignment to utilize their advantages.

But even my AT 3600L which is a conical and the cheapest MM to buy can give listening pleasure

AaronJ

I was wondering how much of a upgrade a AT VM750SH would be on my Technics SL1500C that is currently equipped with a Ortofon Red.

The DL103R looks really interesting but would require me buying a phono preamp as well.
How about a Denon DL110 instead of DL103R? I had one on my SL100C and it sounds great. You won’t need a separate preamp.

Top Bottom