• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR reccomended external crossovers?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
But one thing i like to add
The question for me would be still is there a real benefit in soundquality to make them full-active? Or would it be enough to room eq them from outside?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
The question for me would be still is there a real benefit in soundquality to make them full-active? Or would it be enough to room eq them from outside?
If "them" is JBL 4367, I guess no. But in general definitely yes! Most commercial loudspeakers are not optimized to their full potential, that would mean too much work in the lab and too complex/expensive crossovers. One thing is that designers are trying to get the "house sound" apparent.

QMuse

Major Contributor

IMHO, if you have good passive speakers their XO can be phase corrected very effectively and you will get "by the book" step response. Frequency EQ is anyhow a must in the region below 400Hz to compensate for the mess room is doing.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If "them" is JBL 4367, I guess no. But in general definitely yes! Most commercial loudspeakers are not optimized to their full potential, that would mean too much work in the lab and too complex/expensive crossovers. One thing is that designers are trying to get the "house sound" apparent.

Yes i was thinking about the 4367. Ok thanks, at the top air gets usually thin.

Wombat

Master Contributor
@tomtoo said. "At the top air gets usually thin". Please put that in physical or measurement terms. This is something mountaineers say.

Does air pressure/density in the proximity of the loudspeaker get reduced? Should asthma sufferers be wary?

Your above post is loaded with generalities. Please be more informative.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
"The top air gets thin". Please put that in physical/measurement terms.

HeHe that would be a lot of cans with worms not only one. At least if we talk about this subjekt and not only about barometric measurements on mount everest. ; )

Wombat

Master Contributor
HeHe that would be a lot of cans with worms not only one. At least if we talk about this subjekt and not only about barometric measurements on mount everest. ; )

Still waiting for an explanation. That avoidance went straight into the waste basket.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Still waiting for an explanation. That avoidance went straight into the waste basket.

Ok, imo this is a top speaker. To be honest for me a dream. This thing is for me great, sexy, hot. At the top for me! Ok people maybe like there 5inch woofers with 1inch dome tweeters thats absolutly ok. But this things are for me great sounding and can give you a great punch. Thats top for me. Power-hifi at it's best. Formula1 level. Shure there are people that enjoy a ls3/5 more. But not me. So is this direkt enough for you?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Ok, imo this is a top speaker. To be honest for me a dream. This thing is for me great, sexy, hot. At the top for me! Ok people maybe like there 5inch woofers with 1inch dome tweeters thats absolutly ok. But this things are for me great sounding and can give you a great punch. Thats top for me. Power-hifi at it's best. Formula1 level. Shure there are people that enjoy a ls3/5 more. But not me. So is this direkt enough for you?

Still no rational explanation. I assume you don't have one and will end it here.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Still no rational explanation. I assume you don't have one and will end it here.

Rational? Whats wrong with you? Do they measure well? Think so. So you have them and you are unhappy? No problem get a different speaker. Whats your point?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Subjectively and in-room, moving from passive crossovers to more theoretically perfect DSP crossovers isn't a night and day experience when I've done it.

It's pretty subtle compared to fixing room issues.

Dynaudio makes speakers that use both methods and has a decent video on the topic, and subtly makes the point that the drivers and cabinet have to be good, too. They also discuss room impact:

Replacing passive crossovers with DSP crossovers probably gives better ROI on cheaper speakers that have budget-oriented passive crossovers or cheap drivers that need to be tamed.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
I'am a little upset the first time here on ASR so whats your point?

Oh, I noticed you met Wombat.. :D

Capture.JPG

tomtoo

Major Contributor
@tomtoo said. "At the top air gets usually thin". Please put that in physical or measurement terms. This is something mountaineers say.

Does air pressure/density in the proximity of the loudspeaker get reduced? Should asthma sufferers be wary?

Your above post is loaded with generalities. Please be more informative.

After editing is boring. If you have to say something to me stay in the timeline. If this is not possible for you? You have nothing usefull to say to me. You get this?
Edit: imo you like to troll with me. Forget it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'am a little upset the first time here on ASR so whats your point?

"At the top the air gets usually thin". What does this mean re audio. Simple question. Maybe you can get @QMuse to help you give a rational/technical answer rather than contribute put-downs.

You are not being trolled, only asked for clarification of a descriptor. You seem to be avoiding doing this, so the request was repeated. Forget it.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
"At the top the air gets usually thin". What does this mean re audio. Simple question. Maybe you can get @QMuse to help you give a rational/technical answer.

Engineering top level. To make engineering thats on top level better is hard(the air get's thin). Maybe it's not that way used in english. Its a word to word translation from German.
It means the higher you climb the harder it get's to make the next step.
Edit: please make a point. If you dont make a point you have nothing to say.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Engineering top level. To make engineering thats on top level better is hard(the air get's thin). Maybe it's not that way used in english. Its a word to word translation from German.
It means the higher you climb the harder it get's to make the next step.
Edit: please make a point. If you dont make a point you have nothing to say.

Thank you. Was that so difficult? I have learned something. :)

FWIW: The term 'air' is used subjectively by 'audiophiles' to describe something different.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Thank you. Was that so difficult? I have learned something. :)

FWIW: The term 'air' is used subjectively by 'audiophiles' to describe something different.

Haha ok this was just missunderstandig. No it's just a saying in german. I used it word by word, thinking it's also used in other places.
No audiophile air. :)

Top Bottom