• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Open Source Streamer Project

ehowarth

Indeed, the MUX/input selection for this system will be very important, if we want to keep a tight handle on the time domain

Latency may be a concern.

Unrelated to this project, I am experimenting with a BOSS2 Player (allo.com). It introduces about 200 ms of audio delay running moOde/Debian on an RPi4 with 2 GB RAM.

I tested the Toslink and analog inputs of this soundcard using Alsa arecord/aplay commands to bypass moOde and DSP: (Amazon.com: VAlinks USB 2.0 External Sound Card 6 Channel 5.1 Surround Optical S/PDIF Audio Sound Card Adapter for PC Laptop Recording Compatible with Windows 10/8 / 7/ XP: Computers & Accessories)

I also tested AirPlay through moOde by streaming the audio of test videos: (17) Audio Video Sync Test - YouTube .

So far I've found the same 200 ms latency regardless of input source or pipeline in use.

I will try to isolate the cause when I have time for further testing.

Last edited:

Skeptischism

You havent read the thread eh? :p I mustve mentioned latency 100 times.

I'm unsure of what you are trying to say? We are here talking about a DSP streamer with the ability to use IIR, or FIR, or both. these, by their nature, particularly the latter, create a delay and that will vary depending on the filter chosen, the sample rate etc. there is no avoiding it. Yes, there will be latency that would need to be dealt with if you want video to match sync. Basically the video is delayed by a matching amount.

as for your latency, the BOSS player possibly includes a FIFO buffer that must fill before playback starts. also, if you are running moOde, perhaps you have some FIR based DSP enabled? that could cause latency as well, as mentioned.

hochopeper

I was going to just use a DIR interface to enable input selection.

once I’ve got a few bits together I’ll test the latency of
DIR -> Raspberry Pi i2s [aloop or aloop+camilladsp] -> DIT

then we can discuss the results

notabenem

Ladies and Gents, has anyone got some (good) news for us? Did anyone manage to make some progress the past weeks?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Notably, as we discuss a Directiva r2, would be nice to use some hardware from this project if possible!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Notably, as we discuss a Directiva r2, would be nice to use some hardware from this project if possible!

RPi4 + Linux compatible multichannel USB DAC = done. :)

On a more serious note does any one know where to purchase a small aluminum (or steel) enclosure that would fit an RPi4 and a display (NHD-2.7-12864WDW3) that offers custom panel work to fit the display, cutouts for RPi USB/ethernet ports and a circular hole to fit a usb-c extension (USB C Jack to USB C Jack Round Panel Mount Adapter) for power? I've done cutouts by hand in the past on aluminum enclosures and don't wish to repeat the experience.

Michael

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
@mdsimon2 Modushop offer custom machining and printing with their cases - see the 'Customizations' section under 'Our Products'. diyaudiostore is a US reseller for their products and services. You could also ask at local machine shops and makerspaces.

Frank223

Hi! I'm a beginner. Thank you for this thread and advice. Hope I got enough inspiration to start my own setup. I'll post the results and my choice asap.
Thanks in advance

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@mdsimon2 Modushop offer custom machining and printing with their cases - see the 'Customizations' section under 'Our Products'. diyaudiostore is a US reseller for their products and services. You could also ask at local machine shops and makerspaces.

Thank you! The Galaxy 2U in the smallest size looks just about perfect!

Michael

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds amazing. Care to share the details? You know, photos, or it didn't happen :)

I've talked about using CamillaDSP and multichannel DACs in a variety of other threads. Namely...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nterface-motu-m4-phenomal-dsp-streamer.24493/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...u-ultralite-mk5-review-audio-interface.24777/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-minidsp-2-x-4-hds-usb-port-as-output.19976/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diyinhk-dac-measurements.23629/

The basic setup is a RPi4 running Ubuntu Server 21.04 64 bit and CamillaDSP. I've successfully used the following multichannel DACs:

miniDSP 2x4HD/DDRC-24
miniDSP SHD Studio + Schiit Modius (x2)
DIYINHK XMOS + ES9016 (also ES9038pro)
MOTU M4
MOTU Ultralite Mk5
Okto DAC8 pro

I somewhat recently setup the OLED display and IR volume control which I briefly described (and have attached code for) in the following thread.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...-volume-control-digital-attenuator-usb-5.html

In terms of software I have mainly used squeezelite as a LMS player. I can also AirPlay to this using the Shairtunes plugin. I am not a bit perfect purist so I resample everything in squeezelite to 96 kHz which matches what I run CamillaDSP at. You can also setup CamillaDSP so that it restarts on sample rate changes using the alsa_cdsp plugin but I don't find it worth the hassle.

I have also used shairport-sync as a standalone AirPlay player and Roon Bridge.

A few pics of the current (rather messy setup). The display is still a work in progress and I will probably switch to a layout with less information but much larger volume numbers.

IMG_7240.jpeg
IMG_7241.jpeg

Michael

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread!

I have learned a lot and even if it does not eventually result in an ASR "product", hopefully it gets us closer to better offerings in the audio marketplace. :)

Kind regards,

Rick

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do plan on getting a modushop case for my streamer which looks like it will run around $200-300 after the CNC work.

I will post the CAD files for the case when it is done and will have a detailed post explaining how to set everything up from scratch. I have no desire to turn this in to a product but would love to help others set up their own streamer / DSP with the knowledge I have gathered putting mine together including the more difficult bits like display and IR control integration.

Michael

Last edited:

dwkdnvr

MOTU Ultralite Mk5
Wait - this is the first report I've seen of this working under Linux. I know the Ultralite AVB has had significant ongoing problems with stability. Does the Mk5 work without issues?
My use-case would be along the lines discussed here - streaming/dsp active xover, so setting it up with a fixed channel count and sample rate would be fine if necessary for stability.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using the Mk5 every day for the last 2 months without issue with a RPi4 running Ubuntu Server 21.04. Have experienced no stability issues, no audio glitches, no required restarts, absolutely perfect.

It really seems like the best bang for the buck option in terms of a multichannel DAC for active speakers at the moment. In addition to use as streamer the analog and digital inputs give you flexibility with more traditional sources while still being able to implement DSP on the Pi. Only thing missing is an IR remote for volume control but CamillaDSP and an IR receiver solve that pretty easily.

Michael

dwkdnvr

Cool - thanks for the confirmation.

I agree - the Mk5 is an amazing value for a DSP speaker project. I almost jumped on one when they first came out, but the problems with the AVB caused me to wait and see. This project is backed up behind some other obligations, but I'm hoping to scrape up some time over the winter. I have an M4 which is adequate for prototyping, but I'd likely end up with a 3-way system in the end (although ultimately running passive between M/T might be viable)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I dunno. Squeezelite on a Pi, LMS on another Pi, an RME DAC to handle any DSP needed for my 'phones or JBL studio monitors, I'm a happy camper. No need for more than two channels here.

EC2DADDF-AB61-4951-9B10-F53550252D85.jpeg

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
In trying to tick many of these boxes, I ended up here:

61DXhavyb5L._AC_SL1457_.jpg

My choice of music players, Dirac Live Standalone, external USB DAC of my choice, support for USB storage, Bluetooth, can run headless or with a screen, or even with an AVR.

Sorry. Not really in the spirit of the effort, but I decided it was not worth my DIY time, when this exists for so little $$.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been working on the layout of the case and am in need of some community input. :)

A key aspect of the streamer to me is integration of an IR receiver for volume control via CamillaDSP. I've been using a FLIRC USB IR receiver for this and it works great and is very easy to set up. However I have not found an elegant solution for locating the IR receiver on the front of the chassis. Below is what I've thought through currently, would love to hear if anyone has a nice solution that I have not thought of (or if anyone has a preference for any of the solutions listed below).

Option 1 - FLIRC receiver in rear of case. I've had good luck bouncing IR signals off a wall behind the RPi and imagine that this will work in many circumstances. Downside is I am sure there are some configurations where this will be unreliable but there is always the option of adding an IR extender as well.

Option 2 - Locate RPi in center of case and use USB/LAN panel mount extenders (like this) to enable use of 3 USB ports in rear of case and 1 USB port in front of case (for IR receiver). This adds cost and additional complexity to the build and overall the solution feels inelegant. I do like that it will probably be easier to build because RPi placement will be more flexible.

Option 3 - Install a panel mount USB port in rear of case that then connects to a panel mount USB port in front of case (for IR receiver). A short USB cable could then be used to jumper between a USB port on the RPi and the panel mount USB port. Again this feels like a hack and I do not like the idea of running wires externally.

At this point I am leaning towards option 1 but am considering option 2. Any thoughts?

Michael

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I've been working on the layout of the case and am in need of some community input. :)

A key aspect of the streamer to me is integration of an IR receiver for volume control via CamillaDSP. I've been using a FLIRC USB IR receiver for this and it works great and is very easy to set up. However I have not found an elegant solution for locating the IR receiver on the front of the chassis. Below is what I've thought through currently, would love to hear if anyone has a nice solution that I have not thought of (or if anyone has a preference for any of the solutions listed below).

Option 1 - FLIRC receiver in rear of case. I've had good luck bouncing IR signals off a wall behind the RPi and imagine that this will work in many circumstances. Downside is I am sure there are some configurations where this will be unreliable but there is always the option of adding an IR extender as well.

Option 2 - Locate RPi in center of case and use USB/LAN panel mount extenders (like this) to enable use of 3 USB ports in rear of case and 1 USB port in front of case (for IR receiver). This adds cost and additional complexity to the build and overall the solution feels inelegant. I do like that it will probably be easier to build because RPi placement will be more flexible.

Option 3 - Install a panel mount USB port in rear of case that then connects to a panel mount USB port in front of case (for IR receiver). A short USB cable could then be used to jumper between a USB port on the RPi and the panel mount USB port. Again this feels like a hack and I do not like the idea of running wires externally.

At this point I am leaning towards option 1 but am considering option 2. Any thoughts?

Michael
Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere - but have you looked at the RPi compute module 4 with their IO board? Has much better position for connectors, takes 12V, and can have an external antenna.

ffca9135-b704-41be-a1d4-994c30aad012_Module%20and%20IO%20Board%202_1.jpg

Top Bottom