• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Open Source Streamer Project

TheWalkman

I doubt these things are available for us mere mortals to buy this and the software licenses for DIY projects. Would be cool if that were the case though!

These modules seem interesting but to be honest, I don’t have the bandwidth/ patience for another, “project.”

For that (and many other reasons/ excuses), I‘m quite content to stream my audio from a $60 Raspberry Pi Zero 2W config running Volumio and instead, spend my time enjoying great music, podcasts and radio broadcasts rather than spending that time with my nose a foot deep in tech docs figuring out why my new streamer isn’t streaming.

The Pi seems to do everything I need it to do and more.

To each his own…

PureLIN

Just an idea: Ravenna/AES67 is pretty suitable for using as a streamer (If you can accpet some additional network cable and switchs), due to it's not like usb's host-client mode, it a point to point mode, you can have multiple audio source at same time(For example. connect to ROON server and gaming PC at same time).

Ravenna virtual sound card is free for windows (Merging Audio Device, support ASIO and DS), for Mac, old driver is free, new Virtual Audio Device need to pay (yeah, Mac is premium).

I use MT48 for serval months to connect my personal PC and work laptop at same time, it works fine, but it cost too much for a home usage.

But wait, Since Ravenna is running based on daily IP network, implement one is not that hard, actually already have one implemention on linux: https://github.com/bondagit/aes67-linux-daemon, it's aiming for AES67, Ravenna is slight different but not big.

I already tested on RPI4b(i2s output) with my own code, it can let MAD recognize and play audio smoothly.

But to make it easy to use, it need some more efforts, I also stuck at how to process multiple incoming stream without drops and lag.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The issues with AES67 and similar are usually the reception end. There is a limited choice of components, which are expensive by default. Also, I don't like the fact that it needs an ethernet cable. Also, not all switches are compatible. You'll need DiffServ support as a minimum as far as I can see.

PureLIN

There is a limited choice of components, which are expensive
What I'm trying to say is creating a reception device with RPI and a simple audio interface (USB,PCIE,I2S or whatever), that's much cheaper and RPI can act as DSP.
I don't like the fact that it needs an ethernet cable.
I don't like it either, but for streaming realtime loseless audio, wireless is not stable enough (VBAN in VoiceMeeter support WIFI, I used it before, will have dropouts when traffic is high).
Also, not all switches are compatible.
For small network size, AES67 don't have any limitaion on that, I use a cheap 5 port TP-LINK POE switch with my MT48.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What I'm trying to say is creating a reception device with RPI and a simple audio interface (USB,PCIE,I2S or whatever), that's much cheaper and RPI can act as DSP.
Ah, you're advocating to use the pi as a reception device. Yeah, that works. But I don't the advantages are limited to special cases I'd say, where low-latency, synced audio is needed. For simple 2-channel streaming to a Pi with Airplay or similar, the current solutions are still more than adequate.

lemmy_collins

The issues with AES67 and similar are usually the reception end. There is a limited choice of components, which are expensive by default. Also, I don't like the fact that it needs an ethernet cable. Also, not all switches are compatible. You'll need DiffServ support as a minimum as far as I can see.
I've experimented RTP (8 channels, 96kHz 32 bits) through one basic switch without any problem. In my experience, the receiver is the main culprit. But true my network wasn't heavily loaded.

Top Bottom