• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR measure things wrong !!!!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I had not heard of that site before. Anyway, strange criticism about me "not listening." I listen to just about every headphone amplifier and speaker I review. I don't listen to DACs. If they think they can tell the difference I invite them to create a video without them knowing which is which , match levels and let's see about that.

OP
S
W

Would be cool if you showed where the wrong measurements are. The way you do this looks lazy. And i'am lazy too and not read all this.
No, I actually think measurements are very important. Just showing why audiophiles are easily brainwashed by so called unbiased YouTube reviewers. I think ASR is the kick up the arse the audio industry has needed. I wish it had the finances to buy all the top class components, then we would see if it's worth the crazy money people spend on it.

Hemi-Demon

Audio gear seems to be the only hobby, in which the products are built by highly skilled engineers, in which some consumers don't value said engineering over what their own opinions. Some designs do sound different, but the insistence on trying to disavow the relationship between engineering and subjectivity is maddening. Amir clearly states the measurement standards, but the benefit is that it is CONSISTENT, versus trying to compare the devices with terminology such as air, stage, width or whatever else is spread througout most audio reviews.

What do these people prefer,1V, 2.75V, half volume on the pot:rolleyes:?

Forum against forum, over and over again:facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio gear seems to be the only hobby, in which the products are built by highly skilled engineers, in which some consumers don't value said engineering over what their own opinions. Some designs do sound different, but the insistence on trying to disavow the relationship between engineering and subjectivity is maddening. Amir clearly states the measurement standards, but the benefit is that it is CONSISTENT, versus trying to compare the devices with terminology such as air, stage, width or whatever else is spread througout most audio reviews.

What do these people prefer,1V, 2.75V, half volume on the pot:rolleyes:?

Forum against forum, over and over again:facepalm:

I once had the Conrad-Johnson PV5 preamp and matching MV50 power amp. Plus a C_J Sonographe CD player. Such a gain matched system...not.
The preamp had 28.5 db of gain, and a max output of 25 volts. The power amps had 28 db of gain and only needed .75 volts input for max power output. The CD player put out 2.5 volts. So out of 56.5 db gain possible, I needed -11 db for max output. Max possible volume setting happened at roughly 1/4 of the volume knob. So the preamp was used in that very narrow range of the volume control.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yet another misunderstanding of the nominal output level of digital products established at the dawn of CD player mass production in 1983.

Originally, the level was to be 1.4V. It was changed industry wide in March 1983 at the last minute to 2.0V (at 0dBfs) nominal (single ended- there were no balanced on production players). It wasn't enforced, but was essentially a de-facto standard. It could have been anything they wanted.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-voltage-and-basic-design.10453/#post-288153

4V for balanced is not unreasonable and a logical extension of that.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The notion that ASR measures equipment wrongly is just insane. Rather, every effort is made to get to the truth, as was evidenced by Neumann speaker being tested three times to establish that a temperature difference accounted for discrepancies with the manufacturer data. With respect to bad equipment that Amir proves is bad, manufacturers try to claim its wrong because of their pocketbooks, not because they seek the truth. I agree that anyone would be hard-pressed to prove they can hear much (if any) difference between competently designed DACs in a blind test. I own many DACs and have not done any blind testing. In the course of listening, I think I can sometimes hear differences between the DACs (or different filters on the same DAC), but they are so slight that I have serious doubts that I could distinguish which DAC is playing in a blind test. DACs may be the quintessential component wherein measurements do tell us everything we need to know (except perhaps price and special features like the RME). The DAC performs a much simpler job than say an amplifier, that has to constantly interact with speakers that change impedance at different frequencies. That is not to say that amplifier measurements are not important, I just don't know that they can tell us everything we need to know, if we don't even know what speakers will be driven.

AudioStudies

There could be a place for a new website called AJR
Audio Jewelry Review, no measurements are needed for best results.
Certainly nothing wrong with it looking like Audio Jewelry if it DOES measure well, though. Lets face it, some components are damn ugly.

AudioStudies

Why does the crowd that insists measurements don't matter try to sell us speaker wire that measures bigger than a garden hose?

tw99

Artofsound is one of the most lunatic fringe subjective forums out there, so I'm not at all surprised.

Victor Martell

Artofsound is one of the most lunatic fringe subjective forums out there, so I'm not at all surprised.

I see they are promoting conspiracy theories re: Covid - I was gonna paste the link for reference...but why? thought it better... why promote them? crazy stuff

v

Top Bottom