• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Headphone Testing and BK 5128 Hats Measurement System

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm, I don't know if this has been suggested already, but you might also try cheaper measurement solutions (minidsp ears, etc.) alongside this one to see if the difference is worth the expense. That alone would be an interesting test!
You might even be able to somewhat calibrate those cheaper solutions based on the B&K and end up using one of them for future headphone measurements ;)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I think it would be amazing if @amirm started with headphone reviews.
Look for gold where it can be found: That is, focus reviewing types of gear where the differences in audibility are non-subtle.
Checkout oluv's gadgets. Basically he brought down all the hyped shit. Only a couple of them are good til now.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
How about IEMs? I only have a few. Etymotic XR4SR. And some random ones.

A great choice for a very cheap pair would be these Sony MH750's for $11.49, cousin to the legendary (albeit short-cabled) $5 MH755 which are now almost impossible to find, at least in the US. Those MH750's would be a good example of how a Harman-sounding IEM measures/sounds (Oratory measured them to be pretty close to the target except for a sub-bass boost, with an Olive score of 75/100, one of the highest he's measured).

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to see a popular pair of wireless bluetooth headphones measured so we can see how they stack up to "audiophile" grade headphones.
@amirm If I ship you a brand new pair of the Sony WH1000XM3 Prime shipping gets them to your house on Monday. Will you be able to test them & return them to Amazon within the next 30 days?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

bobbooo

Major Contributor
@amirm, I don't know if this has been suggested already, but you might also try cheaper measurement solutions (minidsp ears, etc.) alongside this one to see if the difference is worth the expense. That alone would be an interesting test!
You might even be able to somewhat calibrate those cheaper solutions based on the B&K and end up using one of them for future headphone measurements ;)

Unfortunately this will not be possible. Primarily because the miniDSP EARS doesn't have the same acoustic impedance as the human ear. And its compensation curve is not only incorrect, but it's incorrect differently for every headphone, so you can't even properly correct for it. Oratory explains this all in detail with measurements in this excellent post. MiniDSP EARS measurements aren't really much use.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm will you have the system around the 21st? The new Sony WH-1000XM4 comes out then. That would make an immediate, attention-grabbing review.
No, it will have to go back the week before on Friday. So it is only next week that it is here.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard both also, bose sounds flatter with a bit warm tilt, Sony is just too much bottom end and doesn't sound very natural.
I would like to see a test of a "popular" pair of high-end wireless bluetooth headphones, so selfishly I choose the one that I own. If we think that a different pair will be more valuable to test, I'm happy to send those to Amir. To name a few...
  • Bose QC35
  • Bose 700
  • Jabra 85h
  • Sony H900N
  • Senn PXC 550
Actually the pair I would be most interested in is the Drop THX Panda, but I have no clue how we could get a pair to Amir next week unless someone on ASR already owns them.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AKG I have is Bluetooth but I won't be feeding it that way.
Understood, all of these can be used wired. My impression is that the ones I have listed are far more popular than the AKG N700NC. Using count of Amazon comments as a quick proxy for popularity:
1596757772481.png

Last edited:

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If amirm is too busy with testing, I would suggest that amirm can cut down the writing. For amps and dacs that are bad amirm can just post the result and write nothing because it simply does not worth your time to write anything. For headphone testing everyone said the frequency response would be hard to get accurate, but there are still many things like distortion and CSD that can be measured. Also we can try to do something that other people rarely do like soundstage measurement. Headphone measuring seems like another rabbit hole accoding to this thread, armed with lots of knowledge is the way to go.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm
Maybe this is something you could partner with another party on. A few headphone testers take part in the forum substantially. It is just a matter of how much can one fellow do.

So maybe partner with someone who has experience testing phones and has a website, but no forums. Give them a sub-forum for testing here and provide support to them. Support in terms of buying the testing gear for instance. I suppose after the WhatsThe Best forum experience partnering my not sound too enticing to you. Maybe a situation where you retain ownership of the test rig and let someone else do the testing at their location.

Top Bottom