• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Getting Into Measuring Headphones!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I welcome yet another measurement datapoint.
The more (somewhat differing) measurements exist the easier it will be to figure out what EQ is actually needed.

BenF

Forum Donor
That's awesome news, Amir! I'm a headphones-only guy and this might be really helpful to a lot of people.

hestejoe

I wonder if it is possible to send an extremely brief signal to the headphones to measure the "transients" that some people complain are missed in response curves.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, it is possible, measuring and interpreting it is a different thing.
Most headphones that can reach 20kHz should have little problem with transients.
The complaints are usually FR related well below 20kHz.
senn-foam-100us.png

For those wondering early HD650 with new pads...
Not so easy with HATS without post processing the output signal properly.

Dreyfus

...we don't need long arguments about how relevant headphone measuring is, as I know that is a sometimes hotly debated topic, but I believe everything has already been said on this front in many threads on this site, no need to keep hashing out & certainly not in extended fashion, a quick nod to it once in a while is ok I think, but not pages of discussion. I look forward to the reviews on here.
TBH, I doubt that the majority of users that consider such measurements (not only here on ASR) is fully aware of all the theoretical and practical uncertancies. If we want that to change, we should keep questioning things. Our science is of very limited use without ongoing critical evaluation and practical considerations.

Some would call the spirit of ASR "measurably dogmatic".
I think we can do better. ;)

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Excellent news for all of us. Bring it on :)

bt3

Have been following the few who have one of these expense headphone testing devices with much interest.
I for one would really like to send my headphones in (at reasonable cost) to be tested, then have my headphones EQ-ed based upon 45C measurements and my most recent auditory exam results. Am I naive? Would not ones recent auditory testing results + 45C headphone measurements be optimal method (currently) to achieve a science-based headphone(s) EQ? Ones headphone amplification would matter a bit, but thinking not as important as EQ based upon auditory testing + 45C headphone measurements applied to equalization customized to individual headphone listener. Sonarworks never interested me, being they do not incorporate ones auditory test results into EQ of headphone(s)..to best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Have been following the few who have one of these expense headphone testing devices with much interest.
I for one would really like to send my headphones in (at reasonable cost) to be tested, then have my headphones EQ-ed based upon 45C measurements and my most recent auditory exam results. Am I naive? Would not ones recent auditory testing results + 45C headphone measurements be optimal method (currently) to achieve a best science-based positive headphone(s) listening experience?
This is certainly possible. You have to assume individual drivers vary enough to matter, and that you are going to prefer correction for your own hearing to something more natural, to draw this conclusion.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

bt3

This is certainly possible. You have to assume individual drivers vary enough to matter, and that you are going to prefer correction for your own hearing to something more natural, to draw this conclusion.
As for variances within any particular model headphone drivers, I would ask/require my headphones be measured themselves, not have a stock measurement applied for all headphones of a particular model. Incorporating individual's auditory test results is one of the keys to useful EQ to my thinking. I've tried various EQ apps, but never been satisfied with the results, perhaps in large part because, I did not incorporate an auditory test into the EQ. If one has invested a lot of dosh for their own 45C, perhaps recovering their expense by providing a service such as I described previously would be worthwhile?

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
TBH, I doubt that the majority of users that consider such measurements (not only here on ASR) is fully aware of all the theoretical and practical uncertancies. If we want that to change, we should keep questioning things. Our science is of very limited use without ongoing critical evaluation and practical considerations.

Some would call the spirit of ASR "measurably dogmatic".
I think we can do better. ;)
There are levels of discussion depending on who's involved ranging from technical expert to newbie, and arguments range from sincere discussions to semantics. Important to recognize all that internal difference I think, especially when the same topics are repeated often.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As for variances within any particular model headphone drivers, I would ask/require my headphones be measured themselves, not have a stock measurement applied for all headphones of a particular model. Incorporating individual's auditory test results is one of the keys to useful EQ to my thinking. I've tried various EQ apps, but never been satisfied with the results, perhaps in large part because, I did not incorporate an auditory test into the EQ. If one has invested a lot of dosh for their own 45C, perhaps recovering their expense by providing a service such as I described previously would be worthwhile?

Do you EQ your speakers to your auditory test results as well ?
Are your ears similar to Amir's test rig configuration ?

Amirs measurements will be accurate to a specific standard on a specific test rig plus you get to read Amirs impressions and opinion.
And that's great... more measurement data for that specific headphone tested by Amir.
That's basically what the measurements will say.

threni

Major Contributor
wow! these look like real ears...

Well, it is a very expensive machine. Some people's devotion to science is...sorry was admirable.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wonder if it is possible to send an extremely brief signal to the headphones to measure the "transients" that some people complain are missed in response curves.

The Impulse or Step response calculated from a sine sweep should give the same information.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
An impulse and resulting measurement shows the same information as frequency response, presented differently. It's been said before, but since headphones use a single full range driver, the HF response in a lot of units appears to be tuned break up (i.e., many headphone can't actually operate in full range). There also the added difficulty that measurement rigs have their own HF resonances, which makes analysis of response difficult and why it's important to have several sources for the same headphone for comparison.

Testing transient response on its own is more about controlling damping and diaphragm settling time. Anything very uncontrolled will show up in the frequency response as a resonance (HF beyond 10kHz notably, keeping the above in mind).

Top Bottom