• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Annual Awards

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While the OP has an interesting idea, the more I think about the less I like it. ASR is a review site, it's in the name, not an awards site and I think Amir already has a rank ordering for folks to use to choose based on performance per Amir's test parameters.

So I vote no, let's not go down this awards road, just let the numbers do the talking.

DanielT

Major Contributor
No. We. Don't.

Well, if you make it a little easy.:)

Ta da!

Edit:
Okay a little silly maybe, but at the same time a little fun .:)

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Not too sure about cats, allergic.

which make me think would there have to be special topics for the hearing impaired , or near sighted.

then there is who will host the awards show, Danko, or the Steve Guttenberg Audiophiliac, or has one of them assaulted someone recently. Yikes would we have to have women in the discussion….best capacitor …best amp from a third world country…best speaker cables….best flat speaker cable…best stereo furniture…best stereo feet….best country western preamp…best….WAKE UP. WAKE UP….IT ONLY A DREAM

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
JMHO, No matter how it was done, it would elicit accusations of Commercial endorsement and favoritism. Not to mention the whole Subjectively part required to make those nonsensical choices. I think this suggestion is better left to those Subjective review sites. Additionaly as previously pointed out. Our Host already has a full plate of backlogged products to test.

(fill in the blank) product of the year Awards are for Customers, I mean members, who don’t want to research and think for themselves. Not the preferred target audience of ASR. Amir and some other astute Members provide the performance details and actual tested metrics. Leaving the final decision making, to fit your specific needs, to you and you alone. ;)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Top 5 <X> (IMD, Linearity, etc) at $10, $50, $100, $500, $1000, etc

But what we're really doing is merology here; so if we want broad cross-domain validity we need to understand how the domains relate to each other generally.

What are the things that technically define a component?
How do these things externally present or interface with the next temporal sequenced thing?
Then run the whole thing backwards for path optimization and test if there is measurable improvement relative to previous models/standards/methods.

How is digital or analog information encoded?
What does a source need to do to generate a digital/analog signal from digital/analog encoding?
What does a DAC need to do in translating digital encoded information into analog encoded information? (Digital clipping, etc)
What does a DAC or component source need to do to create and manage an analog signal?
etc.

Then you get into the ends of the chain with physio/psycho-acoustics, general user interface and design, part longevity/maintenance, aesthetics in function or form (which are heavily influenced by broad socio-economic trends and purely idiosyncratic situational needs), etc

The full scope of ASR is huuuuge. But we can get a good enough model for most people without having to go to that length (or at least offsetting some of the computation to the end user).

What do people mostly hear?
What mostly bothers people?
What mostly pleases people?
How can we find measurable targets the correspond to these?
How can we make what they hear mostly the latter and not the former?
What parts or designs lend themselves to generating the good and suppressing (or at least not exacerbating) the bad?
Which products use these designs and parts AND which products correspond to the measurable targets?
How much are they? What is their availability? What is it like to own and maintain one?

If we can answer those questions the top 5 for whatever category you choose should be sufficient for almost anyone. If you list the top 50 people should be able to figure it out for themselves if the data is accessible and sortable.
This list is way, way too long of things to consider. I think it should be shortened up to whatever I say goes. I will be the head of the committee, reviewer in chief and all around picker of product. Of course there will be no appeals to my decisions. What I determine is final.

Wow, I like this democracy stuff. When I'm the one in charge, democracy is AWESOME! If I'm not in charge, you will get a dictator, who will still be me. A win-win for me!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am of the opinion each member can decide what's "best" for their individual situation without Amir doing our thinking for us--provided we have the accurate data. So no, awards seem superflous, and more of a marketing tool for vendors than anything else.

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
If we absolutely want to hand out some awards, let’s give them to ASR community members: “most active”, “most valuable“ (not necessarily the same thing as “most active”), “most respected”, “most controversial”... :)

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If we absolutely want to hand out some awards, let’s give them to ASR community members: “most active”, “most valuable“ (not necessarily the same thing as “most active”), “most respected”, “most controversial”... :)
... most subjective... most argumentative... most SINAD obsessed... biggest McIntosh hater... biggest Sonus Faber hater... let's not do any of that and spend the time listening to our rigs.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
This is a very long and convoluted way of giving me the "Biggest Dork" award. I see what your doing! :) You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get that one over on me........

Top Bottom