• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASMR Survey - pleasant or awful?

How do you feel when listening to ASMR sounds/videos?

• It's great

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • It's terrible

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • No particular response

Votes: 28 41.8%

• Total voters

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder if there is any connection between liking ASMR sounds/videos and being an audiophile. I know this is a very divisive thing, with some people feeling absolute bliss listening to it, while others prefer to have their eardrums pierced (I'm in the second group).

Please answer the pole, and you can also describe your reactions to it in the comments, as well as how you think it connects with loving sound overall.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What is it? Guessing not "adaptive spatial magnetic resonance" for MRI scanners...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks, never listened, and with my current 70-80 hour workweek not likely to anytime soon...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It's for people who've never listened to ambient music.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some quick examples. The first one is TWO HOURS, of someone brushing the foam cover of a couple microphones with a couple different types of brushes. I swear, I think more people are retarded than I ever realized until some things I see on the internet with a prime example being ASMR.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The closest ASMR sounds I could think of are the rain and thunder in The Doors video :D

wwenze

Major Contributor
For Anime lovers, there are actual contents (like, monologue CDs) that include the usage of ASMR. Of course the ASMR isn't the main thing, but they make use of it. It still sounds more realistic when listened through speakers versus on headphones tho.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Typing...

I had to visit one of the nice ladies in documentation with a problem.
She was typing at the time.
I waited until she completed the immediate transcription, and commented on her speed and accuracy.

I then told her I could type three hundred words per minute.

She looked at me incredulously, and slid the keyboard my way.
With two fingers, I pressed t-h-r-e-e-h-u-n...
She laughed and took the keyboard back,
We then resolved the problem with the manual I had for review.

---

ASMR?

Not for me.

If it's naptime I'll put something mildly educational on TV.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having looked up wtf ASMR means I can attest to experiencing it sometimes listening to favourite music.
I am not meaning some weird artefact recording cooked up to produce such a response but an occasional experience which certainly does not happen every time I listen to that piece, or necessarily occur at the same place in the music when it does, though often it is triggered by a particular musicial phrase or bit of musicianship.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LG used to promote Hi-Fi grade DAC used in their G/V lines of phones on their product pages. Now, when this feature is no longer that "new" and became a "standard" (unfortunetely not for a mobile industry as such), I found yesterday that for their latest model (V60 ThinQ 5G), they moved the Quad DAC feature to its "Specs" page, and started promoting another audio feature in its homepage, inputwise this time:

2020-03-26 09_23_44-LG V60 ThinQ 5G Dual Screen Smartphone – Buy Now _ LG USA.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
99.999999999999999999999% B.S.

That includes the John Cage piece ...

Top Bottom