• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a video showing the setup here:

Ironically, the sound is terrible :)

I would post some screenshots, but I stopped using ASIO (it offers no benefit for simple music playback), so i'm not using this setup anymore.

Edit: Here's an old post of mine showing eAPO connected to Voicemeeter Banana's 'bus' using the VB-Audio Callback feature of Voicemeeter...

Basically, Voicemeeter is a digital mixer. It has inputs and outputs. The inputs and outputs are connected to a 'bus' which is used to control which inputs connect to what outputs. When eAPO is also connected to this bus, eAPO can process any data that is placed on the bus and then return it to the bus for onwards routing to one or more outputs.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read the thread... But still don't understand how to EQ with the Voicemeeter banana and ASIO...
Why do you need to use the ASIO driver? Why not just Music Center to Equalizer APO to DAC? If its for bit perfect playback, forget it. Any EQ will already upsample / pad the bits to whatever it works at regardless of what goes out to your DAC.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will EKIO work with the SONY Music Center for PC and A

I have never looked/used SONY Music Center. Please try to configure all in ASIO I/O using ASIO4ALL and EKIO... If SONY Music Center can accept ASIO I/O, then you may use EKIO, I believe.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Well... EKIO not working for me at all but SuperEQ is working fine with the Foobar2k (WASAPI exclusive)! What is going on?!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... EKIO not working for me at all

I still do not know the details of your setup and ASIO configurations. It is really difficult or impossible to give suggestions for you without knowing/seeing the details... In the thread title you say "ASIO with EQ", but it looks you are working on WASAPI now...

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Why do you need to use the ASIO driver? Why not just Music Center to Equalizer APO to DAC? If its for bit perfect playback, forget it. Any EQ will already upsample / pad the bits to whatever it works at regardless of what goes out to your DAC.
I'm just trying to bypass the Windows mixer...

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

I still do not know the details of your setup and ASIO configurations. It is really difficult or impossible to give suggestions for you without knowing/seeing the details... In the thread title you say "ASIO with EQ", but it looks you are working on WASAPI now...
Yes... At present I don't have any access to my Topping D10 Balanced DAC because of my living room setup... My PC and my speakers are sitting far away from each other... I can't connect my Topping DAC to my PC due to room length... So, now I only have my headphones connected to my PC...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
*DDF: "Some hidden non defeatable APO made a mess of it, even with "all effects off' in Windows. Naughty Windows!"*

I don't think it's an ASIO replacement...
Read the first page. If you want to transfer the data without alteration, by all means use WASAPI exclusive or ASIO. But you want to alter it (EQ). There are no free lunches.

Regarding that thread- install EAPO, use the troubleshooting feature to disable original APOs for the device in question, set windows sample rate for that device rate to 24/96 (or if your highest format is 16(or 24) 44.1 set it to that) and add half a dB more preamp reduction than your highest EQ peak and you are good to go.

Also, in the sound mixer, mute all system sounds , browser sounds etc other than your player app.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
*DDF: "Some hidden non defeatable APO made a mess of it, even with "all effects off' in Windows. Naughty Windows!"*

I don't think it's an ASIO replacement...
Also, you're worried about the windows stack, yet...

"But I want to play my lossy music files with Sony dsee hx"

Why do you think what is happening in this portion is any better than the worst of Windows' shenanigans?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Just a small info for Math audio for foobar:
It does NOT work when plays DSD (without conversion).
(It's funny to fool my friend with different formats of the same song when is applied on the PCM one and not on the DSD one :p )

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Settled down with Foobar2k and Xnor Graphic Equalizer as it's suggested by the Zeos... Working fine with ASIO... Thanks all of you who have been with me in this thread...

Rob1980

Hi all,
I have about the same question :
I whant asio for bit perfect and automatic sample rate and I need to use a parametric equalyser.
My setup :
PC W10 => foobar => flac from 16/44.1 to 24/96 and a few DSD put it's not important => equalisation (soft) => USB => DAC Topping D10 balanced => Neumann KH120.
I have read the thread about the distorsion of W10 and I'm ok with the conclusion : W10 is ok.
With my setup, my Neumann is a bit hard, so I whant equalisation.
I love to see the sample rate changing according to the file. And I think (maybe wrong) that if I set the windows sample rate to 384kzs I introduce distortion. But if you say not : I'm OK.
Today, ASIO and EAPO don't work on my pc. I tried a lot of variation with voicemeeter/virtual cable etc, nothing work.
I didn't tested solution listed before like EKIO.
For playing music, is W10 set to 32/96, foobar set to direct sound, EAPO activated is OK ? Are we talking about adding 0.1% THD /1 % or 10 %?

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you want automatic sample rate changing and light EQ forget everything else,just use ASIO (your dac's drivers ) output and the Math audioEQ in foobar.
It bypasses everything in Windows,you don't need to set it to 32/96.

Edit:EQ will NOT apply on DSD files,just for info.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Hi all,
I have about the same question :
I whant asio for bit perfect and automatic sample rate and I need to use a parametric equalyser.
My setup :
PC W10 => foobar => flac from 16/44.1 to 24/96 and a few DSD put it's not important => equalisation (soft) => USB => DAC Topping D10 balanced => Neumann KH120.
I have read the thread about the distorsion of W10 and I'm ok with the conclusion : W10 is ok.
With my setup, my Neumann is a bit hard, so I whant equalisation.
I love to see the sample rate changing according to the file. And I think (maybe wrong) that if I set the windows sample rate to 384kzs I introduce distortion. But if you say not : I'm OK.
Today, ASIO and EAPO don't work on my pc. I tried a lot of variation with voicemeeter/virtual cable etc, nothing work.
I didn't tested solution listed before like EKIO.
For playing music, is W10 set to 32/96, foobar set to direct sound, EAPO activated is OK ? Are we talking about adding 0.1% THD /1 % or 10 %?

I'm currently using the JRiver MC and ditched F2k because of the lack of 64-bit plugin compatibility in F2k. I have done plenty of research and tests and found that the JRiver for Windows and Audirvana for Mac is the best option... Many players are out there but you don't have to spend your time on them at all... Transporters like the Roon don't support plugins and it's also expensive... JPlay is simply not up to the mark... the Daphile is a different approach and it's also not compatible with VSTs... JRMC is good at the sound quality... I'm using a plugin to manipulate the upper frequencies with a PEQ for low-shelf frequencies... Volume is disabled and the Clip Protection is active (don't allow overflow)... The only thing that is not suitable for me is the look of JRMC... It's disgusting... :facepalm:

Last edited:

BHazard

Found another easy way to get WASAPI Exclusive / ASIO and some EQ. Use MusicBee and the built in EQ. No plugins, no special settings, it just works. Free as well.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Found another easy way to get WASAPI Exclusive / ASIO and some EQ. Use MusicBee and the built in EQ. No plugins, no special settings, it just works. Free as well.
Yeah... The MusicBee seems good but not for those who want to tie up with VSTs... It's not fully compatible...

Have you tried the Bughead?

Top Bottom