• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Asimov Foundation

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having watched the second episode I agree. They kill off Hari Seldon, and launch Gaal into space cryogenically frozen?
Then I saw this article which wasn't encouraging.

David Goyer the showrunner says the novels were concept driven, but that doesn't work on a small screen. (Actually means he doesn't know how to make it work). So he is re-writing everything as an emotional laden and emotionally driven story. Well that is just great I hope he is a good writer. You know capable of writing a new story as compelling as one of the giants of Sci-Fi among its best ever writers. So they should have named it something else and it should have been labled "insprired by the acclaimed Foundation novels".

Well another in a very long list of great novels where the film guys knew how to write better stories or so they tell us. Maybe it will be a worthwhile to watch series, but it isn't Foundation. They've jump the shark on that one in the 2nd episode.

You can always rely on screenrant to do some good shilling, they're so shilly they're paid in shillings.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have Apple streaming so don't have access to this. Ordinarily that would disappoint me as a huge Asimov fan, but the more I read the happier I get as it sounds like another adaptation in name only. I have no issues with anyone making anything they want, but it annoys me when they borrow a much loved work and proceed to ignore it so they can make a completely different story.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Oh, it's one of those: "Apple's The Foundation was the most disappointing things, since my son".

Here's hoping Dune will be better; The expanse, The boys and Rick and Morty stay strong.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also have mixed feelings and found it kind of slow, but let's see, maybe it improves.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read the first three in my teens and re-read them a time or two since. I would hate to have a movie that spoils the images of the Foundation Universe I have in my head.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Expanse is probably the best adaptation of a significant Sci-Fi book series I know of.
That is probably because the authors have been directly involved with the TV series.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion I’m going to watch the whole 10 episodes before I’ll call it an abomination.

bt3

I grew up in art cinema movie houses. My Criterion film collection is over four hundred titles. I mostly stopped going to theaters back when multiplex theaters were cropping-up everywhere. When too many theater goers began behaving in theaters like they were in their family rooms, I had had enough of it. When special effects became the main attraction most of the time, not a carefully crafted story, I had enough of it. When the film soundtrack volume became so painfully loud and unnatural, I had had enough of it. There are excellent films to go see, but it's a roll of the dice whether I'd make it through an entire theater movie without someone's digital devices sounding, or people having conversation on their phones, or be unlucky again to be near the theater goer engaged in a lengthy crinkling cellophane episode with their snack container. I loved reading Asimov. I love Science Fiction. I don't care for what I see or hear from this trailer. It would be glorious to have small theaters for people who can act with sensitivity and respect for others trying to see a film together. Alas it's economically unsustainable. The sticky floor multiplex theaters and those who are insensitive to the proper way to behave when watching a film in a theater with others are all yours to (endure) enjoy.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I grew up in art cinema movie houses. My Criterion film collection is over four hundred titles. I mostly stopped going to theaters back when multiplex theaters were cropping-up everywhere. When too many theater goers began behaving in theaters like they were in their family rooms, I had had enough of it. When special effects became the main attraction most of the time, not a carefully crafted story, I had enough of it. When the film soundtrack volume became so painfully loud and unnatural, I had had enough of it. There are excellent films to go see, but it's a roll of the dice whether I'd make it through an entire theater movie without someone's digital devices sounding, or people having conversation on their phones, or be unlucky again to be near the theater goer engaged in a lengthy crinkling cellophane episode with their snack container. I loved reading Asimov. I love Science Fiction. I don't care for what I see or hear from this trailer. It would be glorious to have small theaters for people who can act with sensitivity and respect for others trying to see a film together. Alas it's economically unsustainable.
This describes my experience exactly. Having a (relatively) big screen with (relatively) high definition, a decent sound system, and streaming has been a godsend to us, and in 14 years together, my wife and I have never set foot in a movie theater.

We also get better food and drink in our own little theater room. :D

Reactions: JRS

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This describes my experience exactly. Having a (relatively) big screen with (relatively) high definition, a decent sound system, and streaming has been a godsend to us, and in 14 years together, my wife and I have never set foot in a movie theater.

We also get better food and drink in our own little theater room. :D
Same here. Too many inconsiderate boors started frequenting theaters from around 1985-90 onward.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Same here. Too many inconsiderate boors started frequenting theaters from around 1985-90 onward.
And the theater experience is generally awful. Bad sound, lots of noise from the next-door movie, crappy and overpriced food and drink. (looked for a clip of the marvelous drive-in movie snack bar from Polyester, but couldn't find it)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hari Seldon and Gaal Dornick (both played by UK based actors) keep refering to something called 'Math', I assume they are referring to to 'Maths', I don't know why they keep dropping the 's' off the end, but it's very annoying! :rolleyes:
Asimov was American and Foundation is an American TV series, so;
The only difference between math and maths is where they're used. Math is the preferred term in the United States and Canada. Maths is the preferred term in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and other English-speaking places.
Lou Llobell has a Spanish father and Zimbabwean mother, so was brought up in Spain and South Africa. She only moved to the UK in 2013 to study drama.

I'm very impressed so far... just saw the first ep last night and will watch the second tonight. I think though in some ways the first ep moves too fast, but then if they went slower they may lose viewers before the main premise is clear, so that was understandable. The sets, acting, CGI and detail are superb.

JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Oh, it's one of those: "Apple's The Foundation was the most disappointing things, since my son".

Here's hoping Dune will be better; The expanse, The boys and Rick and Morty stay strong.
I've heard great things about Dune.

The Foundation tv series has been pretty garbage, it has nothing to do with the book apart from the main premise. The first episode was okay, but the second one went completely off the rails.

JSmith

Master Contributor
it has nothing to do with the book apart from the main premise
It says at the beginning credits "based on the novels by Asimov", so I suppose it's loosely adapted from the books for a 2021 TV show.

Did you notice Robyn Asimov is an Executive Producer?

JSmith

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
29 minutes in, today's politics start hitting hard:

"It's beautiful, but it's hard to imagine there's any rigor there."
"So serious scholars don't read her. Why did you?"
"I went to Kalle for the rhythm of the words at first. I missed the math. But when I read between the lines, I realized she was proposing a radical theory about rings of integers in non-Archimedean local fields."

I guess this is the "ethno-math" I've been hearing about lately, as alternative to, ahem, actual math. Lack of rigor and word rhythm, that fits the profile. Any useful theory after that, beggars belief, even in a fantasy world.

That's as far as I can make it in this series.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It says at the beginning credits "based on the novels by Asimov", so I suppose it's loosely adapted from the books for a 2021 TV show.

Did you notice Robyn Asimov is an Executive Producer?

JSmith
I saw Robyn's name during the credits. But "based on" are the words that are used for all series/movies like this, even if they are fateful adaptations. But whatever, nothing we can do about it except to just not watch it. I heard very good things about Dune, so I'll just go and enjoy that instead.

Top Bottom