• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Asian music & artists

OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
A long time ago I think my first Asian artist I picked up on was Tomita via his The Planets interpretation. I was quite the Laserium fan back then, too, how I got introduced to Holst's work in the first place. The only other particular asian artist recordings I've collected are Hiromi and Stomu Yamash'ta....

My dad was also a Tomita fan. And brought some of the albums home for us to listen to when we were kids. Most of what we listened to came from our local library back then.

I also took a few courses on electronic music in college, and briefly tried my hand at creating some.

600_OHM

Oh wow - as a red-blooded "murican", my eyes were opened with Asian bluegrass / redgrass, which of course led to things like masters of the erhu and other instruments that actually brought tears to my eyes.

I stopped listening to my gear and got totally lost in the performance. There are SO many good artists it's just too hard to pick a favorite.

After listening to the many artists, combined with things like American banjo's, part of the tears is that if only the world could listen to their heart, and not politics or nationalism, we all have the common bond of music we can relate to.

As an audiophile, one is truly missing out if they don't explore the music, instruments, or themselves by not exploring this genre. Just a warning - you WILL shed a tear when nobody is looking.

I take extreme delight when my local classical station (KUSC) occasionaly brings forth works like these.

600_OHM

I could post a million, but must say that a chance listen to Abigail Washburn turned me on to a whole genre I knew nothing about.

Sure, my gear sounded great. Then I found myself not listening to how good the gear is performing, but where it took my heart. THAT is what is the most important.

I mean, cmon! Golden times.

600_OHM

My last one to leave on a cheeful note - otherwise I'll never stop.

How about some Korean Bluegrass? Oh yeah. Thing is, if you asked someone like EmmyLou Harris if these kids got "it" - you KNOW she'd recognize familiar spirits!

So much joy. Wonderful.

Reactions: ADU

600_OHM

I lied! please, just one more. A prayer actually.

May our leaders meditate on this before speaking, and realize that instruments don't play themselves. The artist in cooperation with it brings forth the difference between textbook playing, and true emotion with meaningful power.

Thank you to the Zi De Gugun Studio. This isn't just entertainment, but food for the soul.

Ok, I'm good. Someone else's turn.

600_OHM

Awesome stuff! I noticed something - maybe it's an age-related thing, I'm more drawn to the classical instruments.

Battle of the generations! :)

These young ladies absolutely shred the shamisen! The tune-up knocked me out. I feel it though man with critical listening, a "blues" element if one reaches back that far.

OMG, the communication, the simultaneous double slides - what a treat.

I just feel sorry for any audiophiles that haven't explored Asian culture and music whether classical or modern with an open heart.

Last edited:

600_OHM

Sorry everyone - I get over excited at times.

Not Asian, but it COULD be! My dream team of Wu Fei on ghuzeng, Abigail or Bela on banjo, maybe a pipa, the Shamisen Sisters doing a cover of Green Grass and Hightides.

(Searching for this many years ago actually led me to RedGrass by accident. Lucky me!)

Ignore any stupid drug references - it's not about that, but it has been unfairly placed upon it.

About half way through where the tempo picks up. Oh man, I can see it now with Wu Fei doing some mind-bending warps, the pipas going full bore, the Shamizens just flying.

My favorite part has always been around 7:12 into it where either a misplaced drum-strike or effects-pedal stomp is heard. Thats right where I want one of the Shamizen Sisters to do their thing and announce it's "go time" like it when you listen with headphones.

That dream team of mine could pull it off - but no elevator-music cover! We're talking close to breaking nails and boards, and *almost* dis-respecting the instrument.

.. common threads amongst us all ..

Last edited:
Reactions: ADU
OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
Rochak Kohli, Jubin Nautiyal & Nikita Dutta "Mast Nazron Se"

Last edited:
OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
Sushin Shyam & Unni Menon "Rathipushpam"

Last edited:
OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
Ravi Basrur & Ananya Bhat "Mehabooba"

Last edited:
OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
Guru Randhawa & Yo Yo Honey Singh "Designer"

Last edited:

TimF

Forum Donor
Thank god no fado, and no what's her name, you know who. Think of John Lennon. After ten minutes of fado I start pulling my teeth. I love this thread.

Top Bottom