• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ashly NE8250 Review (Pro 8-channel Amp)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 152 89.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Many years ago I worked for a large AV contractor company in central Florida - we did a lot of contract work, including military and other various government applications. We often used amps like this Ashley unit (different model of course since it was 20 years ago) and someone else mentioned that these are designed to be left on for years and just work. The Phoenix connectors are standard in the professional AV space for these kinds of installations.

As for the price - generally our cost was less than half of the list price, but since it was government, we would sell them at list along with a bunch of other stuff like Crestron control systems, laser disk players (in those days), etc. All of that was sold at list and much more for design, and installation.

We did a system for the Mt. St. Helens Washington visitor center that included 32 rack mounted laser disk systems that drive animatronic displays (faces of the characters were projector screen material) with each laser disk player performing a “face” when activated from a touch panel display. We used Ashley amps for the audio - there wasn’t a lot of consideration for audiophile performance, just reliability and the ability to make a shit ton of money on it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Many years ago I worked for a large AV contractor company in central Florida - we did a lot of contract work, including military and other various government applications. We often used amps like this Ashley unit (different model of course since it was 20 years ago) and someone else mentioned that these are designed to be left on for years and just work. The Phoenix connectors are standard in the professional AV space for these kinds of installations.

As for the price - generally our cost was less than half of the list price, but since it was government, we would sell them at list along with a bunch of other stuff like Crestron control systems, laser disk players (in those days), etc. All of that was sold at list and much more for design, and installation.

We did a system for the Mt. St. Helens Washington visitor center that included 32 rack mounted laser disk systems that drive animatronic displays (faces of the characters were projector screen material) with each laser disk player performing a “face” when activated from a touch panel display. We used Ashley amps for the audio - there wasn’t a lot of consideration for audiophile performance, just reliability and the ability to make a shit ton of money on it.
Wow! I sold audio gear for 9 years and I've never sold a amp at full list/retail...lol. That's the stuff of salespersons' dreams.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow! I sold audio gear for 9 years and I've never sold a amp at full list/retail...lol. That's the stuff of salespersons' dreams.
Custom install market for the most part will sell at full list. Yet, many times you wind up losing your shirt because you have to make the thing work during the install where so many unknown issues come up. That margin helps offset some of the unknown.

It is different from retail where you sell the gear and you are basically done with it.

FYI commercial gear these days has a margin of 25% which is far less than high-end consumer.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Custom install market for the most part will sell at full list. Yet, many times you wind up losing your shirt because you have to make the thing work during the install where so many unknown issues come up. That margin helps offset some of the unknown.

It is different from retail where you sell the gear and you are basically done with it.

FYI commercial gear these days has a margin of 25% which is far less than high-end consumer.
25% with a retail location pays the expenses and wages with a little to spare if lucky. I generally planned for 22% to 24% for business operating costs.

H-713

Firstly, no one called them idiots. But you can say it's perhaps implied.

Also, if I were to call people idiots, it would still be to my definition. That doesn't include business savy people trying to get by with bottom of the barrel shovelware. Their business wit doesn't impress me because it's something anyone is capable of when they're forced to accept concessions on achieving a certain goal (like for instance having these sorts of pathetic "partnerships" between companies trying to peddle a device no better than a $99 DAC, in fact, worse than a $9 phone dongle with respect to fidelity metrics).

You seem to not comprehend the scope of just how low this falls short. There is no way on this planet this device has been made with all the care in the world to offer the most bang-for-buck value to whoever partners with the buffoonery collective that peddles this. It's just THAT MUCH away from any sort of sensibility one need only look for when trying to draw distinction between what virtually every single person would assume exists between a consumer product, and a professional product.

Unless of course you're capable of rendering a logically sound argument that demonstrates a device such as this simply is at the limits of what could be extracted in terms of fidelity for the price being billed.. If you're able to do that, then I will gladly retract what I've said and admit the complete and ignorant error. The thing is though, as I said before, my intuition on this specific example of device leads me to believe as I currently do, simply due to the divide being this MASSIVE from a fidelity metric perspective.

You could also choose the other avenue, and claim this device if the best performer in it's class, that would also serve in similar favor toward swaying my sentiment on the matter heavily in your direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short of these two, I want to to really think about if it's worth defending a $2,300+ device of ANY kind meant for Earthly terrestrial audio pursuits, yet fails to compete to a $9 dongle device that comes with almost every smartphone as a freebie; specifically concerning fidelity metrics. Please don't make the mistake of talking about "but what about power output tho", my post wasn't levied in that respect.

One thing I would like a bit more elaboration on, as it's seemingly pretty vacuous for me atm, was the claim you made about "business partnerships, and engineering partnerships". I can imagine the funny suits at Ashly have a problem when they buy a bunch of stock used on the board they're going to have their engineers come up with. What I'm a bit confused about is what particular "engineering partnership" I would have, or anyone else would have as Ashly's customer? Why would I care about their partnerships AT ALL? For all I care they can go and setup shop on the Moon if their "engineering partner" demanded of them? Is this one of those: sympathy for "the game" or "for how business in the real world works" sorts of appeals?

I think you're missing the purpose of this product. This amplifier is designed for a specific application, and that application is one where fidelity takes the back seat. Why? Because the source material, and the transducers being driven, are an order of magnitude worse. The requirements of the system are also lower. In a lot of cases, intelligible speech is all that is required.

I fully comprehend how much this falls short from the standpoint of a hifi amplifier, or even for a lot of pro applications. I've designed / tested / commissioned a lot of amplifiers - some for audio, some for other purposes. Part of designing any piece of equipment is understanding application requirements, and knowing where effort and money is well spent and where it is not. Why should Ashly waste engineering time and BOM cost to make distortion better when it already meets their customers requirements?

Also, while the distortion numbers for this amplifier definitely stink, you'd be surprised by how tolerable an amp of this nature actually sounds. I end up with stuff like this on a semi-regular basis, and I usually throw it in my system for a listen before getting rid of it. Does it sound as good as my reference amplifier? Of course not, but it isn't immediately bothersome, and in a lot of applications wouldn't be noticeable. Some high distortion amps (some tube amps, for example) are surprisingly inoffensive in actual use.

As for the partnerships - I'm not aware of any loudspeaker companies that are partnered with Ashly. Ashly tends to target the fixed installs market, typically in places like churches, schools, office buildings, board rooms, etc. An 8-channel amplifier sort of has ceiling speakers written all over it. I didn't mention the frequency response earlier, and that's because in nearly every application for this amp, it will be used with DSP, and it will have a high-pass filter.

Companies making systems for concert halls tend to be picky about the electronics paired with their speakers, for good reason. Some speaker companies make their own amplifier (L-Acoustics being an example), while others (like JBL) have partnered with an amplifier company (Crown). Most often, JBL speakers will be powered by Crown amps. It's very rare to see an L-Acoustics speaker powered by an amplifier that isn't made by L-Acoustics. This means that the electronics (amplifiers and processing) is tested and configured for the arrays being used, and it means that engineers from the loudspeaker company will have a much easier time tuning the system.

As for the cost... I'm not aware of any 8-channel amplifiers of this power level that are significantly cheaper, and I know of a good many that are a lot more expensive. Building a 2 kW 2U amplifier with processing isn't cheap, and these things don't sell in giant quantities.

Nobody is advertising this thing as being any more than it is, and the numbers shown here won't surprise the people who design systems around these amps.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Government sales :)

It may be different now, those were the days.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
25% with a retail location pays the expenses and wages with a little to spare if lucky. I generally planned for 22% to 24% for business operating costs.
Pro dealers live with that kind of margin. They do get some quantity discount which may juice this up a bit. But yes, it is impossible to compete with them. They have much less overhead than a retail consumer showroom.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Government sales :)

It may be different now, those were the days.
I retailed home audio gear in the 80's through till about 1992 I think it was. I caught the golden-era tail end and by the early-mid 90's mass merchandisers had raped and pillaged the business, sales quotas where getting tight, industry management philosophy changed drastically, margins where thinning out and customers started realizing that the exciting and personalized sales service they had been accustomed to was not there anymore. By the 2000's bankruptcies and such where occurring and we have what is remaining now.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pro dealers live with that kind of margin. They do get some quantity discount which may juice this up a bit. But yes, it is impossible to compete with them. They have much less overhead than a retail consumer showroom.
For the last 5 years of retailing home audio gear I personally averaged at years' end between 35% and 37% margins. That was record setting so not all salespeople where capable of that sort of margin consistency.

Madlop26

Regarding the test results it's not too surprising as this amp is designed to be setup and left alone for years in a commercial environment.

My experience with these amps is that they can be left to run for years maxed out with poor ventilation and they just keep on going. Ashly service is always no questions asked they will have the amp working again
I am afraid we are being little unfair about this product, it seems fidelity is not a priority but durability and quality service; unfair to be compare with audiophile amps, should be compare in its own class.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am afraid we are being little unfair about this product, it seems fidelity is not a priority but durability and quality service; unfair to be compare with audiophile amps, should be compare in its own class.
It does give us some reference with which to compare commercial/industrial amps to consumer/domestic stuff. I find it interesting and a great review topic.

psemeraro

Firstly, no one called them idiots. But you can say it's perhaps implied.

Also, if I were to call people idiots, it would still be to my definition. That doesn't include business savy people trying to get by with bottom of the barrel shovelware. Their business wit doesn't impress me because it's something anyone is capable of when they're forced to accept concessions on achieving a certain goal (like for instance having these sorts of pathetic "partnerships" between companies trying to peddle a device no better than a $99 DAC, in fact, worse than a $9 phone dongle with respect to fidelity metrics).

You seem to not comprehend the scope of just how low this falls short. There is no way on this planet this device has been made with all the care in the world to offer the most bang-for-buck value to whoever partners with the buffoonery collective that peddles this. It's just THAT MUCH away from any sort of sensibility one need only look for when trying to draw distinction between what virtually every single person would assume exists between a consumer product, and a professional product.

Unless of course you're capable of rendering a logically sound argument that demonstrates a device such as this simply is at the limits of what could be extracted in terms of fidelity for the price being billed.. If you're able to do that, then I will gladly retract what I've said and admit the complete and ignorant error. The thing is though, as I said before, my intuition on this specific example of device leads me to believe as I currently do, simply due to the divide being this MASSIVE from a fidelity metric perspective.

You could also choose the other avenue, and claim this device if the best performer in it's class, that would also serve in similar favor toward swaying my sentiment on the matter heavily in your direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short of these two, I want to to really think about if it's worth defending a $2,300+ device of ANY kind meant for Earthly terrestrial audio pursuits, yet fails to compete to a $9 dongle device that comes with almost every smartphone as a freebie; specifically concerning fidelity metrics. Please don't make the mistake of talking about "but what about power output tho", my post wasn't levied in that respect.

One thing I would like a bit more elaboration on, as it's seemingly pretty vacuous for me atm, was the claim you made about "business partnerships, and engineering partnerships". I can imagine the funny suits at Ashly have a problem when they buy a bunch of stock used on the board they're going to have their engineers come up with. What I'm a bit confused about is what particular "engineering partnership" I would have, or anyone else would have as Ashly's customer? Why would I care about their partnerships AT ALL? For all I care they can go and setup shop on the Moon if their "engineering partner" demanded of them? Is this one of those: sympathy for "the game" or "for how business in the real world works" sorts of appeals?
Please allow me to take a different approach that may offer some clarification.

The "market" that amplifier exists in is system based. By that I mean the audio pieces, video pieces, switching and routing, admin and monitoring etc are all integrated together. Qsys is probably the most common in the US QSYS

Amplifiers are only one part of the whole. In use an amplifier like the one tested here is expected to work flawlessly for years (that includes dealing with an occasional blown speaker on one of the channels, wonky power, on and on and on) and be perceptibly noise and distortion free. Its operation will be monitored and administrated at a central place.

SINAD of a distributed sound amplifier is of no consideration to a system installer. That doesnt mean amplifiers can sound bad (they are expected to be competent) and I'm confident in use the amplifier tested here would sound just fine. In a proper installation it will be hiss-free, hum-free, perciptably "clean" sounding and simply do its job year after year in a rack somewhere. Ashley is an upper-middle brand with a long pedigree in installed sound.

AND, yes the previous post that stated system commissioning often begins with the speakers first was correct.

STIPA measurements, that is something important to system installers. SINAD of a modern high quality amplifier? No...

STIPA

Pat

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Please allow me to take a different approach that may offer some clarification.

The "market" that amplifier exists in is system based. By that I mean the audio pieces, video pieces, switching and routing, admin and monitoring etc are all integrated together. Qsys is probably the most common in the US QSYS

Amplifiers are only one part of the whole. In use an amplifier like the one tested here is expected to work flawlessly for years (that includes dealing with an occasional blown speaker on one of the channels, wonky power, on and on and on) and be perceptibly noise and distortion free. Its operation will be monitored and administrated at a central place.

SINAD of a distributed sound amplifier is of no consideration to a system installer. That doesnt mean amplifiers can sound bad (they are expected to be competent) and I'm confident in use the amplifier tested here would sound just fine. In a proper installation it will be hiss-free, hum-free, perciptably "clean" sounding and simply do its job year after year in a rack somewhere. Ashley is an upper-middle brand with a long pedigree in installed sound.

AND, yes the previous post that stated system commissioning often begins with the speakers first was correct.

STIPA measurements, that is something important to system installers. SINAD of a modern high quality amplifier? No...

STIPA

Pat
It’s not a distributed sound amplifier tough. It’s made to drive 8 ohms or such. I agrre with all you say tough.

Last edited:

beeface

It’s not a distributed sound amplifier tough. It’s made to drive 8 ohms or such. I agrre with all you say tough.
It looks like they also sell a 70V version of this amp for about $200 more (as well as a 100V version, but I can't find a price for it). I'm personally not a fan of using Low-Z amps outside of a residential setting, but the price difference might help with getting a quote over the line for a restaurant or bar on a tight budget.

PeteL

Major Contributor
It looks like they also sell a 70V version of this amp for about $200 more (as well as a 100V version, but I can't find a price for it). I'm personally not a fan of using Low-Z amps outside of a residential setting, but the price difference might help with getting a quote over the line for a restaurant or bar on a tight budget.
Why are you « not a fan »? You either need speaker distribution, or you don’t… It’s about what’s needed not about preferences no? There are plenty of pro targetted Low impedance speakers.

H-713

70V speaker distribution has its issues. From a fidelity standpoint, throwing iron in the signal path isn't great. From a cost standpoint, the amplifiers are more expensive, and those matching transformers aren't free. There are applications where it is appropriate, and applications where it is not.

beeface

Why are you « not a fan »? You either need speaker distribution, or you don’t… It’s about what’s needed not about preferences no? There are plenty of pro targetted Low impedance speakers.
Sorry, you're right, there's obviously a place for low impendence speakers, dunno why I made such a sweeping statement

kschmit2

Really? Where I live (Germany), I've never even heard the name before.

/edit: Out of curiosity, I've entered it @ major pro gear shop here, Thomann:
You seem to simply be unaware of the professional market of custom installers.

https://www.exertisproav.de/de/hersteller/ashly/index.html
https://www.proaudio-technik.de/ashly/?p=1&n=96

Some other manufacturers these companies carry:
And more here: https://www.proaudio-technik.de/marken/

I wouldn't be suprised if Thomann didn't carry them all :)

Ajax

Forum Donor
I retailed home audio gear in the 80's through till about 1992 I think it was. I caught the golden-era tail end and by the early-mid 90's mass merchandisers had raped and pillaged the business, sales quotas where getting tight, industry management philosophy changed drastically, margins where thinning out and customers started realizing that the exciting and personalized sales service they had been accustomed to was not there anymore. By the 2000's bankruptcies and such where occurring and we have what is remaining now.
As much as I enjoy Amir’s reviews, and learning about various pieces of kit and people’s opinions in forums such ASR, I really miss the buzz and anticipation I would experience walking into a well stocked hifi store.

Top Bottom