• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ashly NE8250 Review (Pro 8-channel Amp)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 152 89.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Ashly NE8250 professional 8-channel networked power amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $2,386.

Ashly NE8250 Review Professional 8 channel Amplifier.jpg

The look and controls are fine. It is going in a rack after all. Note that back connections are all phoenix blocks:
Ashly NE8250 Review Back Panel Professional 8 channel Amplifier.jpg

You can make your own cables or buy adapters (I made mine). There is a nice network UI interface and app.

Ashly NE8250 Measurements
All measurements are from channels 3 and 4. Let's start with our dashboard:
Ashly NE8250 Measurements Professional 8 channel Amplifier.png

That is huge amount of harmonic distortion, placing the amp almost at the bottom of our SINAD list:
best pro multichannel amp review.png

Strangely, in a good way, noise floor is low:
Ashly NE8250 Measurements SNR Professional 8 channel Amplifier.png

Frequency response droops at either end but surprisingly it is not load dependent despite being Class D design:
Ashly NE8250 Measurements Frequency Response Professional 8 channel Amplifier.png

Crosstalk is fine:

Ashly NE8250 Measurements Crosstalk Professional 8 channel Amplifier.png

Multitone shows poor performance that we would expect:
Ashly NE8250 Measurements Multitone Professional 8 channel Amplifier.png

You buy these amps for power so let's see how it does at 4 ohm:

Ashly NE8250 Measurements Power 4 ohm Professional 8 channel Amplifier.png

Ouch! That distortion curve is crazy. It almost act like a tube amp or something! Distortion is so high when it clips that when we measure at 1%, we actually get less power:
Ashly NE8250 Measurements Max and Peak Power 4 ohm Professional 8 channel Amplifier.png

Switching to 8 ohm doesn't help:

Ashly NE8250 Measurements Power 8 ohm Professional 8 channel Amplifier.png

Sweeping the frequencies we see this pronounced hump:
Ashly NE8250 Measurements Frequency vs distortion vs Power 4 ohm Professional 8 channel Amplif...png

So my guess is that it is a class G design but company says Class D.

Conclusions
The distortion in this amplifier is just out of control. It is also not every powerful on a per channel basis. So I don't see it having a good application for home use in either main or sub amplifier. It is also expensive so I don't see the value in it either. Then again the owner said they come up much cheaper on ebay so maybe that would be some motivation to buy it.

I can't recommend the Ashly NE8250. Your ears deserve better!

Edit: video review posted:
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only positive thing about this:
It's working according to published specs.
They say 150W/channel under 8 ohm and 250W under 4 ohm.
And SMPTE IMD 0,5% at -10dB vs full power, which I guess is realistic.

Meager consolation, I know.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The year has just begun and there can be even worse ... here it puts in place those who swear by professional equipment as opposed to "hifi" without having seen the measures..

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion factory.

peniku8

Forum Donor
If you need this exact feature set in 2HE space, look at the Lab Gruppen C20:8X. I've seen one go for 800USD used on ebay, which is a killer deal.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Nothing exotic about Ashly, brand has been around for years. It's just a typical PA amplifier for fixed installs, with expected performance.
Really? Where I live (Germany), I've never even heard the name before.

/edit: Out of curiosity, I've entered it @ major pro gear shop here, Thomann:

Andysu

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Ashly NE8250 professional 8-channel networked power amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $2,386.

View attachment 193818

The look and controls are fine. It is going in a rack after all. Note that back connections are all phoenix blocks:
View attachment 193819
You can make your own cables or buy adapters (I made mine). There is a nice network UI interface and app.

Ashly NE8250 Measurements
All measurements are from channels 3 and 4. Let's start with our dashboard:

Frequency response droops at either end but surprisingly it is not load dependent despite being Class D design:
View attachment 193823

Crosstalk is fine:
so its a cat litter amplifier . is the graphs of each channel output as they are not overlapping . i assume the rubbish harman international crown cts8200 i have if i did frequency sweep of each 8 channels i won't see an overlap as harman crown amps i think they rubbish . at least i got mine cheap as i they certainly ain't worth the retail price . i think harman engineers are overpaid rated and lazy , because they can't align 8 channel amp so when a sine wave tone 1KHz is generated i should see equal levels on the input and output and it is a mess i have to align all the channels myself because harman are lazy , never buy a garbage harman anymore and certainly not this amplifier

i would gladly throw the harman cts into the cat litter also they are s/n ratio noisy i think harman are hard of hearing or blind to see the noisy noise of their lazy work on an oscilloscope

Loathecliff

That back panel deserves an award of its own.
Has anyone ever seen anything so tacky on an amp over £10?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
A lot of amps designed for fixed installations use euroblock connectors.
I own a few pieces of older Ashly signal processing equipment (parametric, graphic eqs) and they are well made and perform well.

Edit: Here are the published specs:
ashly.PNG

Last edited:

Noob

I would love to see some Linea Research/Danley amps tested. They have very impressive specs on paper.

gerG

Yikes that thing looks broken. By chance was that amp purchased used off ebay?
If it was purchased new and is not meeting spec it should be sent in for repair.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Yikes that thing looks broken. By chance was that amp purchased used off ebay?
If it was purchased new and is not meeting spec it should be sent in for repair.
sent to me so i can cat litter it

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It is a PA amp.
They are Phoenix connectors and are common there in pro land and they are deff preferred by some.

The year has just begun and there can be even worse ... here it puts in place those who swear by professional equipment as opposed to "hifi" without having seen the measures..
Well to be fair, I bet it measures better then quite a few tube amps will and is 8 channels with way more power than typical tube rigs.
I think in a home theater these would be fine. Not what I would buy now but if it was already installed then I'd leave it there.
I have used Crown amps and they sound as good as anything else I have tried, esp if you want power and a warranty for a fairly cheap price.
In any case this is an 8 channel, single chassis PA amp, it is totally fine for that.
But yah ultimately I agree, better wait for the test result before commiting pro amps to audiophile use.

Picture it in a church, school gym, budget dance school, bar, meeting space/convention center.. ECT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom