• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Acoustics new Klippel optimized speaker

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Super high quality drivers + Klippel NFS, sounds like Ascend is lining up for a home run.

I just wish they would prioritize constant directivity rather than outright width, as a predictable radiation pattern makes a speaker easier to recommend for people who may not be treating their rooms much.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was an interesting read. He starts out by wondering if the market and consumers are becoming too obsessed with measurements, but then buys a Klippel and obsessively measures drivers for his next project. In any event, it all seems like progress.

Not quite…he seems to be musing (cogently, IMO) about people focusing too much on “perfect” in-room response. I agree that’s kind of dumb.

However, it also appears from his text this speaker will be yet another flat waveguide 2-way.

TurtlePaul

However, it also appears from his text this speaker will be yet another flat waveguide 2-way.
At least he appears to be going for ultra-wide waveguide rather than the deep scooped narrow variety. That should be somewhat different. I am hoping that the crossover is really low, like 1700 hz and it is a very wide smooth speaker.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
F2006560-BD24-4B24-9217-57D84F5CCFB3.jpeg
Here's their spin for the Sierra Ribbon Tower with RAAL 70-20xram:

View attachment 193196View attachment 193197View attachment 193198
I’m not gonna trace it and do a comparison, but it for sure looks different than the one on his website, especially the bass:

goldark

Forum Donor

Attachments

• Impedance and Phase.png
    Impedance and Phase.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 456
  • Sierra LX     CEA2034.png
    Sierra LX CEA2034.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Sierra LX     Early Reflections.png
    Sierra LX Early Reflections.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 507
  • Sierra LX     Estimated In-Room Response.png
    Sierra LX Estimated In-Room Response.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 465
  • Sierra LX Contour Plot Horizontal.png
    Sierra LX Contour Plot Horizontal.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 536
  • Sierra LX Beamwidth Horizontal.png
    Sierra LX Beamwidth Horizontal.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 447
  • Sierra LX    Off-Axis EIR Response.png
    Sierra LX Off-Axis EIR Response.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 361
  • Sierra LX Contour Plot Vertical.png
    Sierra LX Contour Plot Vertical.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 373
  • Sierra LX SPL Horizontal.png
    Sierra LX SPL Horizontal.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 360

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klippel measurements of his new speaker: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...w-Something-A-Bit-Different&p=68008#post68008

Preference rating of 6.92 with no sub, and 8.62 with sub
Hmm, wonder if he calculated that himself or not, as there are some nuances to it which can change the score (the bins for instance for the NBD, we still don’t know exactly which frequencies per bin are correct; Sean responded to me that he’d try and check his notes but no dice. Then you of course have the ”no sub” score which you can change slightly and the score changes greatly).

mj30250

I’m not gonna trace it and do a comparison, but it for sure looks different than the one on his website, especially the bass:

The measurements below 300Hz are not accurate on that plot (green bars top and bottom).

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Woah, the Klippel can natively do the PIR/EIR at different levels of toe-in? Wonder if it can do that for the Spinoramas too. Cool (Assuming it actually is recomputing the vertical data and not just using the same vertical data from the on-axis computation, as even I can do that).

OP
R

RMW_NJ

Wow, 6.92…and I’m guessing it will come in at under $2000. That blows up @sweetchaos Passive Speaker Recommendations.

Shazb0t

Yea, those MLSSA style measurements appear to be pretty smoothed out. It doesn't help that the axis are different making the comparison visually harder. As stated above, the bass is not accurate as denoted by the green bar at the bottom of the graph.

The NFS measurements of the towers done by Ascend are pretty close to those done on the Horizon Center by Amir. Considering they have the same driver assortments, crossover, and cabinet volume that bodes well for the potential accuracy match between the two Klippel systems/users.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least he appears to be going for ultra-wide waveguide rather than the deep scooped narrow variety. That should be somewhat different. I am hoping that the crossover is really low, like 1700 hz and it is a very wide smooth speaker.

Nothing wrong with a wide WG, as long the combination of WG and crossover prevents midrange dispersion disruption in the horizontals. Is there a public picture?

mmi

I was set on some Neumanns but I’ve been watching that thread with interest the past few days as the 2ex were still on my shortlist. Part of me is super interested in the emphasis people like Dave and Dennis Murphy place on wide dispersion. I don’t really care about pinpoint imaging and I will never get into room treatment, besides sounding clear I’ve realised what I am after is speakers that sound the same or similar from as many places in my living space as possible. These look to do that, with more than enough bass in a small package. They might be it for me! Will eat a bunch of power tho.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@goldark, thank you for uploading them here.

Is it only me, somehow those plots don't look to me like a 6.9 without sub score? Hope some people can scan and verify them.
Bass is decent and the fact the the response <200Hz is boosted means the PIR tilt (100Hz-16kHz off the top of my head) is very linear, which boosts the score a good deal; many speakers start becoming omni (or at least have a near 0dB ER/SP DI) around 200Hz and those that do and are flat on-axis thus won’t have a super linear PIR as it starts to become flat and not tilted in that region.

Top Bottom