• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ARX RS-1 XLR AB Switcher Review

billsq

That’s outstanding!
1) can you share instructions?
2) send to Amir for testing ?

thanks
Wayne

I only ordered 5 PCBs and hand soldered one. It’s basically 2 pairs of Omron low signal relays. I will try to get some AP measurement when my company office opens again... If it measures well I will post the schematics.

9A0F1B8A-80D8-4696-9F81-A40640ADDF9F.jpeg

TonioRoffo

I did the same for my Ncore amplifier, based on a preassembled board from Electronic Salon

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1981878470.html

The relays used should be high quality (gold plated silved alloy) and are make-before-break avoiding (most) of the clicks. Ground will have to be common but all the rest can be switched with a 12V trigger from your receiver/processor.

It does need a 12V regulated power supply but that's also easily found.

Basically then you add & solder 4 XLR inputs and output to your amps, and include a 12V 3,5 inch mono jack for the trigger input.
salon.jpg

TonioRoffo

Beside the stated use case, another would be to build an automated AB box to switch between powered speakers.

Amir, did you open the unit to see how it is build? Is it relay based or otherwise? (should hear the click, anyway)

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, did you open the unit to see how it is build? Is it relay based or otherwise? (should hear the click, anyway)
I’ll open it and post photos when I get it. It is relay based.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did the same for my Ncore amplifier, based on a preassembled board from Electronic Salon

The relays used should be high quality (gold plated silved alloy) and are make-before-break avoiding (most) of the clicks. Ground will have to be common but all the rest can be switched with a 12V trigger from your receiver/processor.

Basically then you add & solder 4 XLR inputs and output to your amps, and include a 12V 3,5 inch mono jack for the trigger input.View attachment 78478
That looks very good , could you post your finished build? Would be nice if someone built a 2,4, and 8 channel version in a box with either xlr breakout cables or all the xlr jacks.

right now the ARX rs-1 is the only commercial product I’ve found . For 2 channel it’s fine but doesn’t scale well to 8 channel due to cost and a mess of boxes. Also 2 relays in series should give perfect measurements ( to the limit of the ap analyzed) including isolation from the non selected port.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Basically then you add & solder 4 XLR inputs and output to your amps, and include a 12V 3,5 inch mono jack for the trigger input.View attachment 78478

Isn't break before make the correct option to avoid both signals for an instant?

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
Building an input selector box should be fairly easy. It's the small details like pop suppression and isolation that need to be worked out. Good circuit board layout is probably important to reduce crosstalk.

Quality signal relays are important. Omron would be a good choice and should be purchased from an authorized distributor. Anything on AliExpress or Ebay that comes from China may be fakes.

TonioRoffo

Perhaps I am not using the terminology.
Here is the Kramer VS-4X mechanical XLR switch:
https://www.kramerav.com/us/product/vs-4x#Tab_Specification

I have used this to compare two level-matched active sources switching the inputs many times with no pops or issues.

- Rich

Oh, well, if the circuit provides a load to the amplifier it might suppress pops too? I'm not an electronics engineer, so don't take my words for gospel.

TonioRoffo

Building an input selector box should be fairly easy. It's the small details like pop suppression and isolation that need to be worked out. Good circuit board layout is probably important to reduce crosstalk.

Quality signal relays are important. Omron would be a good choice and should be purchased from an authorized distributor. Anything on AliExpress or Ebay that comes from China may be fakes.

Even quality relays aren't expensive parts.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, well, if the circuit provides a load to the amplifier it might suppress pops too? I'm not an electronics engineer, so don't take my words for gospel.

I don't think that having a state where sources are summed during switch-over is right. Perhaps a EE can weigh in.

- Rich

TonioRoffo

Can I link to other fora here? I got my inspiration from a thread on a DIY audio forum.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Carnajo

I use a switch box too, and it's even simpler & multiple times cheaper than the one is the review but it's just for RCA cables:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Sources...ual+2-Port+Audio+Switch&qid=1597604858&sr=8-1

Is there any point in reviewing/testing a switch like this one I have, seeing as we're testing switches?

Looks nice. Does anyone have any recommendations for an automatic one though? Again not laziness but needs to be "rest-of-the-family" proof.
(edit: RCA input output to be specific).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
right now the ARX rs-1 is the only commercial product I’ve found . For 2 channel it’s fine but doesn’t scale well to 8 channel due to cost and a mess of boxes. Also 2 relays in series should give perfect measurements ( to the limit of the ap analyzed) including isolation from the non selected port.
I am using a Coleman 7.1SW Switch. It switches silently among 4 inputs of 8channels each. XLR in/out.
I also have a Zektor MAS7.1 which I no longer use because it is RCA in/out in addition to S/PDIF and HDMI. It switches silently among 3 inputs of 8channels each.

Last edited:

DapperDanMan

Adding home theater bypass to any DAC.

both an AVR LR preouts and a DAC can drive the same amp.

I have a DAC with XLR feeding my headphone amp in my office and I'm going to be adding powered monitors to my setup. I assume this would be the type of device I need? The price seems excessive... but I probably don't need all the features since a manual switch would be within my reach?

Top Bottom