• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ARX RS-1 XLR AB Switcher Review

Sonnie

I'm going to end up using it with my SHD. The SHD will power on a power sensing strip that will have a 12-volt power supply that powers on my amps and another 12-volt power supply that powers on the RS-1 to switch it over to the SHD.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

nuport

If I want to use this with a 12v trigger from an AVR, how do I do it? Do I cut the connector off the standard 3.5mm trigger cable and put a new connector on it that fits in this switcher? What kind of connector do I need?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I want to use this with a 12v trigger from an AVR, how do I do it? Do I cut the connector off the standard 3.5mm trigger cable and put a new connector on it that fits in this switcher? What kind of connector do I need?
Just cut one end off and strip the wire. then you need a small screwdriver to attach the bare wire

Dwander

I was close to getting one of these until I realized that its the reverse of what I needed. Is it possible to run it in reverse? Connect two outputs to the inputs and one input to the output. Obviously would have use gender changing adapters or more likely a DIY cable, but no idea if that would even work or not.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was close to getting one of these until I realized that its the reverse of what I needed. Is it possible to run it in reverse? Connect two outputs to the inputs and one input to the output. Obviously would have use gender changing adapters or more likely a DIY cable, but no idea if that would even work or not.
You are looking for the RS-2 model

proufo

Hello All. Glad to be here.

You don't really need to switch the ground, right?

opaceo

This is a review and detailed measurements of the ARX RS-1 Remote Switcher. Strangely the back says "Remote SwitcherAB-19" so not sure what is the right model number. It was kindly purchased and drop shipped to me by a member. The RS-1 costs US $273. The website says "HANDMADE IN MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA."

This is an industrial looking piece which hints at their traditional market:

View attachment 78103

It is nice that by default Channel A is active so if there is a power loss, etc., you can count on that input being live. To switch to Channel B, you must supply power for the internal relay. There are two methods: that power input and then shorting the two left terminals. I tried that but it did not switch. I had to string together different connectors so maybe that was the issue. The alternate method of just feeding 12 volts to the right two terminals worked. Note that it drew about 40 milliamps so make sure your source can supply this much current. Otherwise you have to put yet another relay in front of this one to trigger an external power source.

Switcher Audio Measurements
Our goal here is transparency so let's feed the unit 4 volts balanced and see what the input to output loss is:

View attachment 78107

This is exceptional response so if there is a loss, it is incredibly small.

Signal to noise ratio is superb as well:

View attachment 78108

As is crosstalk:

View attachment 78109

We are basically measuring the analyzer performance itself.

Frequency response just the same is ruler flat:

View attachment 78110

To detect how much crosstalk there is between the two inputs, I fed the unselected one 4/12 volts and measured how much it bled into the output:

View attachment 78111

The heading is a bit wrong. The bleeding is from unselected channel to output. But result is the same. If you have signal coming out of the unselected input, fair bit of will bleed into the other channel. This is probably the spec for the relay they are using. If you play back at 80 dB and higher, you may be able to hear the unselected input.

A solution to this is to turn off the unselected input using some kind of automation.

Conclusions
The RS-1 is fully transparent from input to output as a passive switch should be. There is some bleeding of one channel into another and you get to decide if that is too much for you or not. Despite being rather expensive, I am going to recommend the RS-1 for its robust construction and remote control ability.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Getting more reviews out of the way so I can go back to evaluating my headphone measuring gear. Meanwhile, you can help by donating generously using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
"If you have signal coming out of the unselected input, fair bit of will bleed into the other channel. This is probably the spec for the relay they are using. If you play back at 80 dB and higher, you may be able to hear the unselected input.In theory there wouldn't normally be signal present on the unselected input."

Why would you have the source feeding the unselected input turned up or putting out any signal if you're not listening to it? That was probably the assumption when they designed this unit. A second set of relays that connect pins 2 and 3 of the unselected input to ground through a very low impedance pair of resistors would probably do the trick as far as eliminating any crosstalk
Capacitive coupling. Wiring proximity etc. If the unselected terminal is just left floating instead of tied to ground this will happen. The relay contacts are also in close proximity. The device could easily be improved with four separate relays, one for each- hot/cold left/right and A/B.

Yep, basically just need a second 4PDT relay to terminate the unselected input. I'm guessing when they designed this the assumption was nothing would be present, signal wise, on the unselected input since that would imply you're not using/listening to that source.

Top Bottom