• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was always a fan of Whisser Black and Eric Staton. Neither appropriate for this site.

ADU

Major Contributor
Lots of great Aussie Artists that are perhaps not so well known
Legendary bands from my youth:

Cold Chisel

The Angels

The Divinyls

The Saints

I recall some of these groups as well. The Divinyls were certainly known in US, at least among the hipsters. :) And had some singles on US radio. Excellent band wth a number of good tunes. The Saints were one of the better punk bands from down under. I think I can also recall some of The Angels' tracks as well, like their cover of The Animals "We've Gotta Get Out of This Place". A few of their albums charted in the top 200 in the US. I'll have to look through their tracks a bit more carefully to see what else is there that I might recall.

There was a period of time there around the 80's where Australian New Wave, pop and rock groups were very hip in the US. And I probably would've heard some of the above on alternative radio stations like KROQ, or MTV around that timeframe.

Last edited:

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not sure that Jackie Leven is that famous in the UK or even his native Scotland...but he should be. A brilliant storyteller with a great voice and a wicked sense of humour. His songs don't always go where you expect them to.

I only found out about him when he died in 2011. Since then I've bought all his solo releases including those of his alter-ego Sir Vincent Lone.

This article by Ian Rankin is spot on - I don't know why Jackie Leven isn't better known - he should be revered

ADU

Major Contributor
What often passes for reggaeton in popular Latin music now is considerably watered down. (But still frequently enjoyable imo.) I'm actually enjoying what alot of the female artists are bringing to the genre right now though. Since, with rare exceptions (like Ivy Queen), it was dominated largely by male artists in the beginning (like DY, Don Omar, and Wisin & Yandel). I suspect it will not be most people's cup of tea though here.

Speaking of the Don, he apparently got together recently with another original reggaetoner, Residente of Calle 13. And put out a new single, called "Flow HP" which is currently trending on YT. ("HP" is short for a swear word btw.) The video has sort of an old school vibe in some ways. And it is both raw, and also a bit tongue-in-cheek at the same time (which is one of Residente's trademarks). And contains a fair amount of mature language and content.

I was tempted to recommend Residente here earlier. Because his work incorporates a fairly eclectic and interesting mix of different regional/Latin American styles and influences (including reggaeton and hip-hop). It's probably a little easier to appreciate his stuff if you understand some Spanish though, because he is mostly a rap/hip-hop artist.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Another popular progressive Latin artist I was going to suggest is Juan Luis Guerra, who's work is also a mix of different Latin styles, most of which I believe come from his home of Dominican Republic.

"Vale la Pena" by Juan Luis Guerra

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
A couple good regional Mexican artists currently trending.

"Jugaste y Sufri" by Eslabon Armado & DannyLux

ADU

Major Contributor
"La Sinvergüenza" by Christian Nodal & Banda MS de Sergio Lizárraga

Alot of regional Mexican music, including a fair number of C. Nodal's tracks tend to be a little on the bright side for my taste. The videos can often be quite good though.

An interesting sidenote is that the above video was directed by Mexican pop-singer/actress Belinda (see also the video below).

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Another popular Dominican artist at the moment = El Alfa "El Jefe". This style (which sounds sort of like sped-up reggaeton) is called simply "dembow" in Dominican Republic. Though others may refer to it as dembow Dominicano, or Dominican dembow.

"Curazao" by El Alfa El Jefe & Farruko

Last edited:
Top Bottom