• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world

vilnis

Latvia composer Raimonds Pauls. Popular in the Soviet Union.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's probably a good idea. On both counts. ;)
What often passes for reggaeton in popular Latin music now is considerably watered down. (But still frequently enjoyable imo.) I'm actually enjoying what alot of the female artists are bringing to the genre right now though. Since, with rare exceptions (like Ivy Queen), it was dominated largely by male artists in the beginning (like DY, Don Omar, and Wisin & Yandel). I suspect it will not be most people's cup of tea though here.
Folks should also sample some cumbia, bachata, salsa, sertanejo, baile funk, and maybe some regional Mexican as well. And maybe some other South American styles. Since I still live close to the border and listen to this type of thing all the time (mostly on the internet now), and PR is part of the US, I'll assume its ok for me to suggest a few things in these genres.
Start your cumbia journey with Los Ángeles Azules. They are one of the best and most popular groups in the genre (at least in the US), and often collaborate with other interesting Latin artists, like Natalia Lafourcade, Gloria Trevi, and Ximena Sarinana, for example. (They are far from unknown though in the Spanish-speaking world.)
Juanes is a popular Mexican rock/pop artist who has also been doing some interesting things lately, that combine different Latin and American music styles.
Woot! I forced you to reply and now you are forcing (thanx) me to do some homework based on your valuable reply.
I also would like to thank PappyBlue for posting this as it has been very informative even for us locals.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Wurzels

Reactions: ADU

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I worked with the music touring business I ran across a few customers I'd never heard of. I remember one particularly I'd not heard of in the US where I live but when visiting Australia my buddy's wife was a big fan of the guy (but can't remember his name for the life of me or even perusing a list of greek artists....sort of a larger/heavier guy popular in the 70s, sang in a really high and annoying voice....which is probably why I can't come up with the name, only worked a bit on his tours).
Demis Roussos?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only speak from personal experience: (1) never heard of him until (2) got a Brazilian girlfriend (3) who introduced him to me. In that order. :)

Sure, everything is relative; but like Gilberto Gil he has got Grammy and has been on world tours. But agree that Brasil have many "unknowns", Chiclete, Skank, Olodum (except through Michael Jacksons video), Vinícius De Moraes, Legaio Urbana, to name a few

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Paul Kelly has been huge in Australia for decades as a sing-song writer. I love his story telling.

My favourite:

If your a cricket fan:

Another favourite:

Lots of great Aussie Artists that are perhaps not so well known
Legendary bands from my youth:

Cold Chisel

The Angels

The Divinyls

The Saints

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jorge Ben and Caetano Veloso are indeed known internationaly.

here is an unknown to the outside world

linked to the best song to give a trailer, watch the whole session if you like the style

Do you know if Maria Bethania_is known outside Brasil? (Caetanos sister)

Top Bottom