• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world

Urgelle

Oxmo Puccino, a french rapper with generally well written lyrics and good instrumentals, I think at least half of his albums are very good.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would a rudimentary way to answer this question of "Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world" be to tell them to watch every episode of David Grohl's (FooFighters/Nirvana) 2014 HBO mini-series titled "Sonic Highways"?
....That's "locally famous", though, not "nationally famous". Every provincial region has these artists, it's not really what OP means...
Yes, these are just 'local' and musical breadcrumbs over the last 4 decades. But foraging for and sourcing your own musical treasures makes the outcome sound sooooo much more pleasurable... than sum algo telling you what you should hear next; based on what you are currently listening to (the old 'fish versus fish-hook' dilemma).

Reactions: ADU

MGG

After racking my brains a little bit, I did think of a few bands that were fairly popular around LA and SoCal while I was going to school there in the 80's, that may not have made as big an impression nationally or abroad. At least not at that time.

The Dickies were a local punk band that played alot of gigs around LA. Since they didn't really come from poor roots (like some punk-rockers in the UK), my recollection is that they were not taken as seriously (and possibly even somewhat loathed :) ) by some of the more hard-core punk crowd at the time. But they opened or closed for alot of other groups. And the tickets to their shows were usually pretty cheap. So I saw them performing a number times at various venues around LA. And the shows/performances were usually pretty fun.

Fishbone was another fairly popular local group on the LA club circuit in the 80's, who also opened (or closed) for other groups. And I also saw them several times.

Both bands prided themselves on being "live acts", as I recall. Fishbone combined elements of ska, funk and metal though with their punk-ish style. Whereas The Dickies took their cues more from traditional punk rock groups, like The Sex Pistols and folks of that ilk.

Both bands are still active I believe. So you can probably still see them perform live. I'll have to poke around a bit though to see if I can find any decent videos of them performing.

The Dickies, virtually unknown to the rest of the world!? Which world? Narnia? Zork?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
The Dickies were a local punk band that played alot of gigs around LA
The Dickies were quite big in the UK for about six months. I saw them in Edinburgh around 1980. Their cover of Paranoid was classic but the Banana Splits theme was probably more representative. Good energy but a bit puerile ...

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After racking my brains a little bit, I did think of a few bands that were fairly popular around LA and SoCal while I was going to school there in the 80's, that may not have made as big an impression nationally or abroad. At least not at that time.

The Dickies were a local punk band that played alot of gigs around LA. Since they didn't really come from poor roots (like some punk-rockers in the UK), my recollection is that they were not taken as seriously (and possibly even somewhat loathed :) ) by some of the more hard-core punk crowd at the time. But they opened or closed for alot of other groups. And the tickets to their shows were usually pretty cheap. So I saw them performing a number times at various venues around LA. And the shows/performances were usually pretty fun.

Fishbone was another fairly popular local group on the LA club circuit in the 80's, who also opened (or closed) for other groups. And I also saw them several times.

Both bands prided themselves on being "live acts", as I recall. Fishbone combined elements of ska, funk and metal though with their punk-ish style. Whereas The Dickies took their cues more from traditional punk rock groups, like The Sex Pistols and folks of that ilk.

Both bands are still active I believe. So you can probably still see them perform live. I'll have to poke around a bit though to see if I can find any decent videos of them performing.
I saw Fishbone in '89 when taking a semester in London. Fantastic, crazy amount of energy show! My buddy and I got lost trying to find the venue. We were sure we were close and found some dudes smoking a joint and cigarettes down what seemed to us a tiny street or through alley. When we asked them if they knew where the venue was, the one guy paused for awhile and said, "Sure. Follow this out the other end and the entrance is right there." Then they all laughed when we got about 30 feet away. Of course it was them! But we were too embarrassed to walk back and laugh with them at our cluelessness. I remember the opening act was Lesbian Dopeheads on Mopeds, which was the drag alter ego of Gaye Bikers on Acid. Fun times

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The <?>, virtually unknown to the rest of the world!? Which world? Narnia? Zork?
Unknown Known? Like how would I be able to know that people in Zanzibar <?> have heard of LesClaypool; to recommend them Primus?

ADU

Major Contributor
Would a rudimentary way to answer this question of "Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world" be to tell them to watch every episode of David Grohl's (FooFighters/Nirvana) 2014 HBO mini-series titled "Sonic Highways"?
Yes, these are just 'local' and musical breadcrumbs over the last 4 decades. But foraging for and sourcing your own musical treasures makes the outcome sound sooooo much more pleasurable... than sum algo telling you what you should hear next; based on what you are currently listening to (the old 'fish versus fish-hook' dilemma).

I hear (and mostly agree) with the above, pseudoid. But also appreciate the insights and info that folks like Robot_Assassinator are bringing to the discussion. I didn't really know, for example, that country and western artists were not as well-known (or maybe "appreciated" is a better word?) in other parts of the English speaking world as some other types of musical artists, for example. And found that sort of interesting.

Whether they listen to the music or not though, I would assume that alot of folks know at least some of the more popular country artists abroad, like yer George Straits, yer Blake Sheltons, yer Taylor Swifts, yer Carrie Underwoods, yer Miranda Lamberts, yer Lady A's, Keith Urbans and what have you. I know their are alot of Cash fans in the UK and Europe, for example. Or at least there were at one time. And maybe they would even know somebody like Kacey Musgraves, Kane Brown, and Little Big Town?

I don't really know who the really good progressive country groups and artists are. But perhaps they are not so well acquainted with artists like Maren Morris, Chris Stapleton, Zac Brown Band, Kelsea Ballerini, Midland, Florida Georgia Line, and Carly Pearce? There are probably even some better artists than these, but it would be too bad if folks elsewhere did not give some of these artists at least a chance. Country music has been changing and evolving quite a bit in recent years.

And before you say it, yes, I know Keith Urban is Australian. I just threw him in there to see if anyone was paying attention. ;)

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
The Dickies, virtually unknown to the rest of the world!? Which world? Narnia? Zork?

I guess I meant outside of punk music. Maybe I've missed something, but I don't think they became as well known, generally speaking, as some other SoCal groups from that same timeframe, like yer Red Hot Chili Peppers, and yer No Doubts, for example. Since I haven't been outside the US much though, I don't really know.

Reactions: MGG

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Unknown Unknown" example: We all should at least taste some 'reggaeton' but I was told never to recommend it to a PuertoRican...

ADU

Major Contributor
"Unknown Unknown" example: We all should at least taste some 'reggaeton' but I was told never to recommend it to a PuertoRican...

That's probably a good idea. On both counts. ;)

What often passes for reggaeton in popular Latin music now is considerably watered down. (But still frequently enjoyable imo.) I'm actually enjoying what alot of the female artists are bringing to the genre right now though. Since, with rare exceptions (like Ivy Queen), it was dominated largely by male artists in the beginning (like DY, Don Omar, and Wisin & Yandel). I suspect it will not be most people's cup of tea though here.

Folks should also sample some cumbia, bachata, salsa, sertanejo, baile funk, and maybe some regional Mexican as well. And maybe some other South American styles. Since I still live close to the border and listen to this type of thing all the time (mostly on the internet now), and PR is part of the US, I'll assume its ok for me to suggest a few things in these genres.

Start your cumbia journey with Los Ángeles Azules. They are one of the best and most popular groups in the genre (at least in the US), and often collaborate with other interesting Latin artists, like Natalia Lafourcade, Gloria Trevi, and Ximena Sarinana, for example. (They are far from unknown though in the Spanish-speaking world.)

Juanes is a popular Mexican rock/pop artist who has also been doing some interesting things lately, that combine different Latin and American music styles.

Last edited:

MGG

I guess I meant outside of punk music. Maybe I've missed something, but I don't think they became as well known, generally speaking, as some other SoCal groups from that same timeframe, like yer Red Hot Chili Peppers, and yer No Doubts, for example. Since I haven't been outside the US much though, I don't really know.

Virtually unknown early punk band to the rest of the world (from SoCal)? My pick:

1631656665246.png

Well known: X, Germs, Black Flag, The Dickies, Circle Jerks (perhaps not an early punk band?)
Somewhat obscure: The Weirdos, Fear
Do The Dils qualify as SoCal band? If so, I'd list them in somewhat obscure category along with The Weirdos and Fear.
The Go-Go's achieved commercial success but not as a punk band.

MGG

The Dickies were quite big in the UK for about six months. I saw them in Edinburgh around 1980. Their cover of Paranoid was classic but the Banana Splits theme was probably more representative. Good energy but a bit puerile ...

Fair assessment. In "early American punk bands cover classics category" my absolute favorite: The Dictators - Search And Destroy

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I would assume that alot of folks know at least some of the more popular country artists abroad, like yer George Straits, yer Blake Sheltons, yer Taylor Swifts, yer Kelly Underwoods, yer Miranda Lamberts, yer Lady A's, Keith Urbans and what have you.
Taylor Swift perhaps, but I doubt the average European would know any of those names. I certainly don't know any of their music except George Strait. Most Europeans knowledge of Country music is probably limited to Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash and that's about it. The more musically adventurous may know of Hank Williams and other 'classic' country acts. Alt-country/Americana like Gillian Welch or Lucinda Williams is probably more well known over here.

ADU

Major Contributor
Taylor Swift perhaps, but I doubt the average European would know any of those names. I certainly don't know any of their music except George Strait. Most Europeans knowledge of Country music is probably limited to Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash and that's about it. The more musically adventurous may know of Hank Williams and other 'classic' country acts. Alt-country/Americana like Gillian Welch or Lucinda Williams is probably more well known over here.

Interesting. I meant Carrie Underwood btw. As opposed to Kelly Underwood. Fixed above.

Not sure why I did that, unless maybe I was confusing her with Kelly Clarkson.

They'd probably know Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson as well. But what about somebody like Garth Brooks, who was also hugely popular with country fans in the US?

And Alan Jackson, or Dwight Yoakim?

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor

I can't say I'm really a huge fan yet, but Rosalía is a fairly recent addition to the Latin pop genre from Spain, that has a bit of an alt vibe. And also dabbles a bit in the reggaeton. There are number of other artists, both male and female, that I like in the genre. But most aren't quite as edgy as her. And are a little more mainstream, and well-known. Still thinking though.

Another group from Columbia that has a bit of an eclectic vibe that I also like is Bomba Estéreo. They are sometimes billed as cumbia. But really do all kinds of different things.

The best known sertanejo artist (oustide of Brazil) is probably Michel Teló, with his version of "Ai Se Eu Te Pego". My favs though (at the moment) are Marília Mendonça, Zé Neto & Cristiano, and Simone & Simaria. Duos are common in the genre. This is not heady stuff btw. It's just fun Brazilian country music. And there are many, many other good artists in this genre.

I see from a quick perusal of their recent videos that Simone & Simaria have also collaborated with some well-known reggaeton artists, like Karol G and Sebastrian Yatra. And with some other Brazilian artists who are more in the baile funk & funk melody genres (e.g. Anitta).

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Carrie Underwood
Haven't heard of her either ... ;-)

They'd probably know Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson as well. But what about somebody like Garth Brooks
Yes they've all had the occasional hit and are known but I doubt it's more than once a decade throughout any of their careers. There are pockets of interest in Country here and there of course - I think it's more popular in Sweden for example (e.g the aforementioned First Aid Kit) - but it's just not a thing for the wider public.

Top Bottom