• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists you like who are famous in your country but who are virtually unknown to the rest of the world

dufferdan

Several months ago, I was cruising around YouTube and some soul music. And I came across Joss Stone. Hit the big time in 2005 or 2006, won every high school singing comepetition she entered. A friend who is British was amazed I had never heard of her. People would line up to her high school performances because they knew she was going to be huge.

Just do a YouTube search. Her stuff is incredible. Her presence is unbelievable. Her interviews with Craig Ferguson are to die for. He is totally smitten. She did an album back in 2012 or 2014 with Mick Jagger, Sting, Bob Markey’s son…awesome…. I never knew

D

Deleted member 47224

Interesting thread with some good artists I'll listen more seriously later.

Here is some suggestions from France :
Clara Luciani (already mentioned, but I like her music too)
L'impératrice
Camille (mostly the album titled "Le Fil")
SONGO
Tapeworms (personal favourite)
Carpenter Brut
Thylacine (He made the soundtrack of OVNI(s), a great sci-fi serie)

After writing that down I realise now some of them are not even famous here...

And from Canada, but I don't if it's well known even there...
L'engoulevent

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Just saw her concert on the 22nd, unfortunately the audio was pretty bad, the venue audio system couldn't deal with the dynamics / volume of her more energetic songs

Darek K

I don't really remember him that well. But he collaborated with Vangelis on a number of projects, including the Bladerunner soundtrack. So maybe some prog fans might know him? He (apparently) also had a fairly successful career as a pop singer in Europe.

Two collabs with Vangelis...

He also did this vocal version of Vangelis's "Chariots of Fire".

Demis Roussos was very well known in Poland many, many years ago.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Not sure if known beyond our shores, hell most people I know in my country don't know who these guys are.

Darek K

A lot of Italian musicians are best to be known only in Italy :(. And some of them are sadly internationally too well known (Bocelli among them).
My favorite one is Paolo Conte, best described as a chansonnier in the best meaning of the term. Many musicians outside Italy fell in love with this song, I like this recording because it is live and quite recent, that shows how Conti was able to maintain his voice as time goes by. He is 84 and still active.

Paolo Conte is very well known in my ... family :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if known beyond our shores, hell most people I know in my country don't know who these guys are.
What's the big deal?
I did not know who Taylor Swift was until a few month ago...
...and now I think I could pick her out in a line-up between her, BillyEilish, OliviaRodrigo and RhianTheasdale!;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Demis Roussos was very well known in Poland many, many years ago.
Demis Roussos was popular in most of europe from what I remember, altho when I worked a bit on one of his tours hadn't heard of him myself and can't say he's someone I'd buy a record of.

Top Bottom