• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists You Have Discovered Lately

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Morgan James is just an unbelievable singer!

I just listened to her album Reckless Abandon on Spotify

Here she's covering Aretha

And learning to sing...

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here's proof, if anyone still needs convincing, that she has a rare talent. She walks up to an instrument she's never played (and will never see), and within 3 minutes she's jamming on a Thelonius Monk piece.

Brings tears to my eyes...

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I've been listening to this young cat for the last few months. Very talented trumpet player and composer. He came up under Dee Dee Bridgewater. He bridges jazz and neo-soul with a unique voice. His band is exceptional too.

1573735620476.png

murraycamp

Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I discovered only this past 2 days , Alice Coltrane... I never much tried to listen to her , I am an avid Jazz fan .. The prejudice on her is that she is, "only" John's widow ... No! She was a prolific artists of immense talent and technique. She played the piano and the harp and her output as a band leader is substantial. See this Wikipedia Link ...
Her music can be challenging nevertheless always beautiful ... This album was my introduction into her works ... It seems to have been on constant replay the past 2 days :). There is so much music of such density of sublime quality ...
1574208180448.png

So far my favorite cut on the album is

Please give it a listen .. I discovered via Spotify, It is also on Tidal ..

Last edited:

murraycamp

Forum Donor
1574261032700.png

This is Kit Downes' new(ish) project. I was somewhat familiar with Kit before this new band, but this work is another level. Really advanced rhythmically and harmonically, but still grooves like a M.F.-er. Highly recommended.

stereo coffee

Audio Company
I am regularly listening to Sonar and their albums Black Light, Vortex, Live and Moods. They have a new one out Friday this week called Tranceportation Volume 1

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mixing science (robots) and music - the first video is an incredible display of animation art from the second Animusic DVD (released in 2005) with every note and drumbeat matched on the screen by a robot action.

The second video - Automatica - is an equally incredible, but totally different treatment of robots and music by New Zealand Composer Nigel Stanford, with real musicians, instruments and industrial robots. I have had copies of the two Animusic DVD's for a number of years, and although the Audomatica video was posted on YouTube over two years ago and has nearly 13 million views, I just discovered it this evening while surfing YouTube.

Of all living musicians, perhaps none is better known for the exploration of the intersection between music and technology than Nigel Stanford. His use of the principles of the scientific field of Cymatics to manipulate water, fire and lightning into intricate living patterns using only sound waves – best exemplified by his music video of the same name – garnered over 15 million views on YouTube and countless other interactions and discussion online.

Bamyasi

The most heartbreaking, soul piercing electric guitar I have heard since long time... R.I.P. Neal and be God with you.

Bamyasi

No idea how they've evaded my attention up until now. Good old progrock masterfully played and recorded in the 21st century.

Top Bottom