• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artists You Have Discovered Lately

reza

I guess they are well known to many. But I recently discovered the Punch Brothers, and their mandolin player, Chris Thile. Other than good music, they also sport a very well engineered sound. Here is one I like:

Hifi

I discovered Carmen Gomes years ago. Available at soundliaison.com in high res download

It was just this year that Carmen Gomes releases a forth album with Soundliaison and it is unique in that it is a ONE MIC recording.

Exceptional HiFi resolution ! ! !
15F21D4A-072E-47A6-94B8-8709FA404418.png

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had heard of this woman as a jazz singer, but had never really paid attention:

Hifi

One of my music joys is listening to an album that has been redone by an unlikely artist.

Vanessa Fernandez does a Led Zeppelin album. Available in SACD and 180 gr 45 rpm vinyl. Very good production in every aspect.
6A58409C-E80B-4D7A-979C-A7981F397C0E.jpeg

Bamyasi

Not exactly a new discovery but this album kind of shocked me. They have actually done what's described in the tracks on this album, for real. At least that's my understanding. It has also been recorded and mixed better than the rest of their releases to date. Very good quality mix, I envy their producer. Youtube does not do justice to it unfortunately.

Run For The Sun - Mostly Autumn

Hifi

This is from Red House Records. Label promotes lots of folk artist and I find their recordings resolve well in Two Channel audio.

If you liked Johnny Cash you will love Greg Brown

4B0A3AB2-7F18-40C6-883B-06A43247FE60.jpeg

DarrylG

These YouTube videos have view numbers in the hundreds, and this guy has a little over 3,000 subscribers. When you compare him with some others who have views and subscribers in the millions, it seems kind of ridiculous.

Bamyasi

For those interested in some finest Celtic/Nordic folk female vocals, here is another artist:

Secret Garden - You Raise Me Up: The Collection (24bit/88.2KHz)

I have stumbled upon this particular Hi-Res remaster release recently and the sound quality is totally amazing. Highly recommended for listening pleasure as well as for critical system evaluation. This duo is very talented artists, even though their tracks may be a bit too "pop musak" sounding to my taste occasionally.

I also happened to have three different CD pressings of their first album (1996 release) and all of them sounded horrible -- the worst clipping distortion I have ever heard on an officially released CD from any label. I thought the original tapes must have been damaged irreversibly but it looks like they were able to remaster old tracks and they now sound wonderfully smooth and with excellent dynamic range.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Found this little gem today. Definitely not my usual fare, but just good aural fun - IMO at least.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I have failed myself miserably by not discovering this band sooner... I haven't felt this good about a band since meeting Kyuss back in 1991. They were touring in promotion of their upcoming debut album at the time I was working at Tower Records. Since no one knew of them, no one showed up to see them. So we just got a couple cases of beer and hung out in the employee area drinking and talking about music, drugs, living in Las Vegas, etc. Don't remember who was working the register (someone must have)... but I still remember the chills I got listening to that CD when I got home.

Anyway, this band not only sounds very similar... almost 30 years later - it's giving me chills right now listening to it. I'm off to buy their entire catalog now. :cool:

Last edited:

Herbert

I really discovered them 35 years too late, listening to them at a good friends flat this spring:
Ströer Bros and Howard Fine.
They made three records, "Nomaden" in 1985, "Night Falls" in 1988 and "Vodoo Travel" in 2010(!)

Top Bottom