• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artist Highlight: Lana Del Rey

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let me get the confession out of the way first: I enjoy listening to modern music. Not all top 20 stuff but still, popular music still has great appeal to me.

One such example is Lana Del Rey. I have three of her albums and there is not one song I don't like. I can listen to it for hours.

lana_del_ray.jpg

Here are some samples for your audio enjoyment (I find most of the videos awful from production value):

This one has a measly 178 million views!

wgscott

This is where the results of an authentically blind listening test might be quite entertaining.

wgscott

I really hadn't noticed. I was too focused on the deep, philosophical content of the lyrics.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yesterday I looked @ her, the first picture with those beautiful lips.
I then watched the four videos you posted (listened to them).
Plus I explored her some more; pics and videos and life history.

I gave her all the chances to turn me on personally...but in vain.
It's my inner soul, and I respect all the turn-ons in other people's own souls.
Yesterday I did not reply after investigating her for about 40 minutes or so.
Today I just did.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No problem Bob. We all have different tastes in music.

On Lana, I did not know what she looked like, nor her videos. Discovered her when Amazon recommended to me. I have always been a fan of female modern signers so have a soft spot for her in that manner :).

wgscott

My only introduction to her was a day I was trapped in a hotel in the Galapagos with something that could very euphemistically be called gastronomical distress. In between the times I had to run to the bathroom, I hung out by the pool at the hotel to get some badly needed fresh air. They had her on autoplay. Perpetual loop. I will forever associate her voice with the fear of running out of toilet paper.

wgscott

That advice, coupled with the avatar picture, has me worried.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one of her albums. Heard her a couple times and liked what I heard. I have listened to some of her other songs via Amazon Prime. I connect with maybe 1/3 of them. Those I like are haunting and evoke a certain dreamy feeling I would say. I do wonder if she isn't rather generally depressed judging by her songs and some comments in interviews by her. Some of her songs I find myself actively disliking rather than simply not being a fit for me.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lana is a bit of a weirdo, but I like most of her albums. Not particularly fond of her latest "Chemtrails over the Country Club" one, but the one before that ("Norman F*cking Rockwell") is great.

Also like her duet with Adam Cohen, singing his father's "Chelsea Hotel"

Last edited:

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I'm just glad not to be the only grown man that likes Lana Del Rey. Let me find out the same thing re London Grammar and I'll have a nice weekend. :D

Top Bottom