• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

articulating wall mounts for small HT loudspeakers

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wall mounts like the ones commonly available for flatscreen TVs, e..g, can be pulled out from the wall, have adjustable horizontal/vertical angle.

But for loudspeakers. (Small ones , not floorstanders!)

Does such a thing exist? I'm looking on the internets, but not finding.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wall mounts like the ones commonly available for flatscreen TVs, e..g, can be pulled out from the wall, have adjustable horizontal/vertical angle.

But for loudspeakers. (Small ones , not floorstanders!)

Does such a thing exist? I'm looking on the internets, but not finding.

Krabapple

Was thinking the exact same thing, yesterday and ... didn't find anything on the Internet. I went to a local store and purchased a pair of TV-mount similar to these
1596145145928.png

I haven't installed these yet. They don't seem to be able to have a lockable, repeatable position , so I will mark a spot on the floor to line up the speakers ... and run Audyssey at those spots. In the meantime I am debating if I will screw through the speakers or build some kind of base or ... Looks like I will screw through the speakers wall and use some glue to fill the holes... :(.
When not in use I will just push the speakers against the wall.
The LSR 308 (which you have too) are about 9 Kg. They say these can support flat screens up to 30 Kg ... covered.

OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That sort of mount is the general idea. But smaller (the speakers I have in mind are 2kg HT speakers, not monitors)

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What if you put threaded inserts (that accept machine screws) into the speaker?
https://www.google.com/search?q=threaded+insert+how+to
I imagine you can get these so the internal part matches the typical machine screw size used for TV mounts.
Then you could put them in whatever the appropriate sized VESA pattern is to use the same size TV mount.
https://www.ergomart.com/components-guide/vesa-adaptors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Display_Mounting_Interface

Or you could 'use' the screws that are already there through that mount?
In other words, remove just these 4 screws, reinstall through the mount you posted with washers. You might need slightly longer screws, but that should be easy if they are just basic wood screws.
1596162041169.png

I imagine these could go through into the back of the front side of the speaker and hold the thing together like a sandwich. If so, they probably have the correct amount of thread engagement and spacing them off of the back by that mount depth+ a washer would reduce it too much.

1596162290608.png

The positioning seems off and I think I can gather from this picture that the fasteners for front and back are different.

1596162352842.png

So, you might be good to use them if you don't want to permanently put new holes into the back of your speaker.

Just using the 308 as an example. If @krabapple speaker is a more traditional one the VESA mounting patter w/threaded inserts might be a better idea.

Edit: For the 308 it seems like that back plate is metal sheet so the thread inserts won't work there.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've looked for this kind of thing too and been disappointed. Like @FrantzM and @Trouble Maker describe, I came to the conclusion that I would need to buy monitor/TV mounting arms and make my own adapters.

OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone. The Omnimounts don't really extend very far, and the articulation is also limited. Could use them for the surrounds, perhaps. The Vogels are closer to the mark , but lack much extension. So I'm going to try this mount (for small TVs) which can extend 14" into the room. I'll likely end up using a strategy like Trouble Maker described above , adapting the threaded bolt hole that is built-in to the Paradigm Cinema 100s I'm using, and the mounting gear that comes with them, to work with the articulated wall mount (I don't mind drilling holes in a wall mount plate as needed). For the center, which needs to serve sometimes as a center for video viewing (thus below the TV screen, and thus below ear height, as the screen is vertically centered on line of sight, as TVs should be) and sometimes for purely music listening in surround (thus ear height in front of the screen) I may splurge for a contraption like this.

Trouble Maker

If there is already a threaded bolt hole on the back of the speakers it shouldn't be too hard to fashion up an adapter plate with flat stock with holes drilled into it and various bolts/nuts/washers to go between it and that mount.

Or maybe the even 'easier' route might be just to use modify the end of that mount.

Unbolt the blue bolt so you are only dealing with the end piece.
Drill a hole at orange point, bolt through from the backside into the speaker.

1596171319806.png

Any of the above only requires a drill and some decent bits. No kind of real fabrication like cutting, bending, welding, making any threaded holes, etc.

Then if you want to get real fancy, or if the back of that was bigger than the back of your speakers you could cut it down a bit to make it look cleaner. Then get some flat back spray paint to cover it up again.

I like this route for what you are trying to do. TV mounts like that seems so cheap, it's probably worth for the little bit of work on your end. Even if you find something speaker specific it's going to cost 10x as much, or even more.

This reminded me of how much I miss my local hardware store back home; local family owned ACE going on 76 years now. Places like that are awesome for finding the right bolt, nut, washer, then only having to buy as many as you really need.

Last edited:
OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. It's too bad there aren't many purpose-built solutions (as far as I can tell) for this but I don't mind getting crafty. I may have to try a couple of TV mounts to identify the one that is most adaptable for the Paradigms. But the mounts are quite cheap.

OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
None of them really can extend/retract.

I'm actually about a day away from mounting this one to the wall:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBEOGZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not using either of the provided mounting plates; , instead , two small holes I've drilled into the part behind them, visible at the end of the arm here:

81biQlOtJKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

makes it possible to attach the mounting bracket supplied with the Paradigms.

The arm extends ~16" into the room! The most I've found.

Erici

Forum Donor
None of them really can extend/retract.

I'm actually about a day away from mounting this one to the wall:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBEOGZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not using either of the provided mounting plates; , instead , two small holes I've drilled into the part behind them, visible at the end of the arm here:

makes it possible to attach the mounting bracket supplied with the Paradigms.

The arm extends ~16" into the room! The most I've found.

That's a great find krabapple! And inexpensive too. Could you post a photo of how it looks after you've mounted the speakers?

Trouble Maker

Looks perfect! Can't wait to see the end result.

BTW, the 'full moition/full articulating' mounts don't have to be limited to a small speaker. We had a 40" few generations ago not LED so a little thicker and heavier TV mounted to one and it worked great. We got a Sanus one so it was not inexpensive, but still not too terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things. It worked perfectly. It looks like Sanus for example makes full articulating mounts that work up to 175 lbs!
https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/#full-motion-plus-mounts
https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/#full-motion-mounts

Last edited:
OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The left and right fronts are done...here they are in 'sleeper' position
20200817_130416.jpg

20200817_122939.jpg

20200817_122945.jpg

and here in 'deployed' position (speaker grills are 20" from the front wall)

20200817_130441.jpg

20200817_123059.jpg
20200817_123103.jpg

The wall mount point is nice and clean thanks to the covers Amazon supplies

20200817_123134.jpg

...though adding pesky *cabling* to the loudspeakers will clutter things up a bit (I've bought white-sheathed cable to make it 'hide' a bit better)

Also, these guys helped, though not really.

20200817_100733.jpg

Attachments

• 20200817_123059.jpg
    20200817_123059.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 90
  • 20200817_130441.jpg
    20200817_130441.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 95
OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These Paradigm speakers are small but hefty for their size (4 lb each) . The arm can hold ~14 lbs (39" TV). It could thus hold an Ascend Acoustics CBM170 (14 lbs) but this , again, is a small room...the smallest I've ever dealt with (the main part is 10 x10 x 8H, with an '"L" to the right of the camera that's 4 x 4') . So the idea was to take up the least room possible. A 12" dayton sub will probably go either where the power strip is, or beside the listening chair. Contemplating using another arm mounted below the TV for the identical center speaker (the only issue is deciding to attach the speaker horizontally or vertically), or just using a small stand as needed. Ditto regarding the surrounds, haven;t decided how to deploy them yet, as there is a bookcase to the left of the camera, blocking the wall.

Last edited:

haroldsmith

I am looking for the same thing. I have not found such wall mounts yet. I think that they are not available as anybody can't find them. There are a lot of TV wall mounts with different options for different TVs but not for loudspeakers. But I liked the decision made above in the thread. Will try to do the same. But my loudspeakers are bigger. Can such mounting plates handle speakers with bigger sizes?

OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About two weeks ago I installed the same Amazon Basics articulated TV mounts I used, for a friend who wanted to wall mount his speakers -- he had a pair of Polk S15 bookshelf speakers, significantly larger and heavier than the Paradigm Cinemas I have. It worked great, though it took a bit of McGuyvering. I had to remove the back baffle of the Polks (they have a plastic baffle that is screwed into the back panel of the speaker), drill four holes, attach that to the TV arm plate, then reattach to the speaker . I'll see if I can get a picture.

Last edited:
OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Basics arm is spec'ed to holds up to 40lbs btw, not 14 as I wrote above.

Top Bottom