• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Article: Impact of Color on Perception of Loudness

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I recall reading a paper on a study done by the National Research Council of Canada, who were doing quite a lot of hi-fi basic research at one point. They took two identical 2-way speakers - made identically and also tested to measure within 0.5 dB of each other at any frequency 20-20,000 Hz- and played them for an audience of testers. One speaker's cabinet was painted red, the other was blue.

To a high degree of statistical confidence, listeners reported that the red speaker sound warmer, more emotional. The blue one was neutral, analytical.

My speakers are white, and I can change their sound by wearing colored glasses. :cool:

White is cool, but I prefer my speakers invisible if possible. Black seems to be the closest.

eliash

I like the sound of my speakers best with eyes closed, even if they don´t look explicitly ugly in their maple veneer...but sometimes I have the subjective impression their enclosures add a sound texture a bit like a violin or double bass body...

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I had some invisible speakers. Couldn't hear them, though.....

Speaking of invisible speakers:

Probably a common phenomena, but I occasionally dream with music in the background — like a never-ending soundtrack to accompany my thoughts. Sometimes, it turns out my headphones or the speakers were actually left on playing while I fell asleep. Other times, nothing playing in the background at all. I seem to have a record player with a random library of various music stuck in my head — some of these songs I haven’t heard in decades, or since childhood, and it would just pop up out of nowhere in a dream or thought — ear-worms or something.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This video is the living proof that the brighter colors tend sound louder = better. Then again, the Modi MB is definitely played at lot louder than the Modi 3 DAC and that bright pink tint made enhanced that loudness perception even better

Top Bottom